Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: which motor should I go with?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default which motor should I go with?

I have a SCX10 with a Novak Rooster Crawer and a 55T motor, I installed a 25T pinion and lost the torq so I installed a 21T. I still don't have the wheel speed that I want. Can anyone tell me which motor I should go to, to get a good amount of wheel speed but also have a good amount of torq? Thank you for all your help.
Moparguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2011, 04:21 PM   #2

If you are running lipos step up to 3s on the 55t with the original gearing. Watch your motor and esc temps, adjust gearing to suit the temps. Many people are running the rooster on 3s and they seem to be handling it just fine. Remember... "volt up and gear down".

Last edited by Neil426; 01-23-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Neil426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:29 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil426 View Post
If you are running lipos step up to 3s on the 55t with the original gearing. Watch your motor and esc temps, adjust gearing to suit the temps. Many people are running the rooster on 3s and they seem to be handling it just fine. Remember... "volt up and gear down".
I haven't went to Lipos yet but I am getting ready to but I was going to go with a 2s just because the Rooster says not to go over that. I don't really want to replace my ESC at this time due to burning it up.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparguy View Post
I haven't went to Lipos yet but I am getting ready to but I was going to go with a 2s just because the Rooster says not to go over that. I don't really want to replace my ESC at this time due to burning it up.
2s is an easy step to make with the Rooster since it is setup with LVC for 2s.

You may just want to try a 35t.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:38 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

No go on 3s lipo. I have seen my rooster goup in flames when I WENT TO 2S LIPO I dont know why it did it. Worked fine before, then one day. Poof in flames.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:47 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil426 View Post
2s is an easy step to make with the Rooster since it is setup with LVC for 2s.

You may just want to try a 35t.
If I go with a 35T why I lose ant torq? I thought the higher the number the better the torq but I see people talking about using low number motors for their TTC. I am kinda confused on the motor ratings.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:50 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparguy View Post
If I go with a 35T why I lose ant torq? I thought the higher the number the better the torq but I see people talking about using low number motors for their TTC. I am kinda confused on the motor ratings.
Depends, if you get a good handwound. I got 35t handwound motors and they spool up and lay down some mad torque.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:57 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepkid View Post
Depends, if you get a good handwound. I got 35t handwound motors and they spool up and lay down some mad torque.
What brand do you run? Is the Holmes Hobbies any good or is there something else I should look at?
Old 01-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #9

The higher the turns the more torque the lower the number the higher the rpm. if you run a smaller pinion or a larger spur you would be gaining torque so that the use of a lower turn motor (higher rpm) would be practicle. The higher torque motors are great for off the line speed or just crawling along. the lower turn motors (higher rpm) combined with the lower gears allow the motor to spin more and maintain the low speed torque while giving you the option of having more wheel speed at WOT.