Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Charging inside the truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 08:16 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Charging inside the truck

i have a Dynamite prophet sport (Nimh only). It has gator clips for 12vdc input. Could i install a male 12v end to charge while driving (cig lighter)? If so, what amp fuse should i use?

Thanks
16hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2011, 08:54 AM   #2

I thought about the same thing. Shouldnt have to have a fuse, charger has gator clips to go directly to the battery therefore I would think there is a built in fail safe already on the charger. Even if not you cig oulet is already fused. So if it is safe to hook directly to the battery is should be fine to do the cig lighter hook up. My charger is up to 4A and a cig light usually has a 10-15A fuse in place already. Not telling you to go for it but from my understanding no more Amps than what the charger would be pulling it should be fine. I will be doing this just as soon as I can find that 12vdc cig outlet pig tail I have lying around. My truck has the outlet that is constanly on and one that is on the ignition figure is would be nice to have one charging while using the other while out a the local parks.
soldwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:13 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

i do this, it works great, cig lighter will be fine, but for direct to the battery, i would put in an inline fuse, probably 10-15a would be sufficient.
T3rry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:52 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Yep, I have my Hyperion charger wired to accept power from one of the outputs in my car. I just went to Radio Shack and bought an outlet adapter....just make sure that it is NOT a step down transformer....most cell phones require ~3V input, so that wont work. You need 12V output. I clipped the end, soldered on some banana plugs and have been using it like that for a few years.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:10 AM   #5
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Just be careful with it, and put the battery and charger in a metal box if you can. Batteries explode or catch on fire sometimes. Best not have it happen where it hurts you when you are driving, or burns your truck down when you have stepped away.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:47 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Great info, thanks.

i think i'll banana the gator clips and a 12v plug female with male connectors on the charger. Swap back and forth.
16hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:01 PM   #7
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Just be careful with it, and put the battery and charger in a metal box if you can. Batteries explode or catch on fire sometimes. Best not have it happen where it hurts you when you are driving, or burns your truck down when you have stepped away.
Good advise there.

I do have an adapter, bought it at Wall*Mart if I remember right, I use it and charge while driving quite often. Back when I had my red truck, was charging some 2/3a's just laid in the back seat. One of the cells puffed and vented, Burnt a hole in the seat. Now I lay them on a thick rubber mat on the floor in the back. Where I can get to them quickly if needed, but they won't burn anything.

Just be extremely cautious with things and make sure your connections are all secure. I wouldn't use alligator clips that could come loose and arc out on something. Use a quality connector for everything like a deans or something.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:07 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
I second that! Ammo box for $5-$10 at any surplus store

This was a bad day in the kitchen years back when I was charging packs for the neighborhood kids. One pack overheated and went off, one cell at a time. Imagine six flash bang grenades (six cell pack) going off! Now picture that in your truck while you're driving I learned my lesson quick! I've been charging RC batteries since 1982 with no issues, but just shows you that sh*t happens.......

Rig Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:08 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16hp View Post
i have a Dynamite prophet sport (Nimh only). It has gator clips for 12vdc input. Could i install a male 12v end to charge while driving (cig lighter)? If so, what amp fuse should i use?

Thanks

I do that with my charger often in my RAV4
gm0688 is offline   Reply With Quote