Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Castle 25 ESC problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
Gold Star Baby!

Default Castle 25 ESC problems

So I put the 25 esc in the mini so I can use the Mamb micro for my daughters rig...no issues with the M-mini..So i wire it with the BEC powering the servo with the signal wire in the receiver only and leave the 3 wires from the ESC to the receiver...using a 4pks when I apply throttle it makes the steering wiggle back and forth..So i try a brand new servo with the ESC powering up the servo ,no BEC and when I pull the throttle its ok but when I steer it , it will go forwards and backwards with out touching the throttle..

So Im wondering do I need some sort of capacitor on the motor ?
BTW it is a CrawlerMafia 16 turn motor..

Now let me recap..with the Mamba micro there were no issues with the BEC powering the servo and the esc powering the receiver...my guess is it is the motor that needs a capacitor or the speed control is NO GOOD..

any help would be GREAT..tomorrow I will be calling Castle Cust serv
CRAWLER-DAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2011, 08:52 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAWLER-DAD View Post
So I put the 25 esc in the mini so I can use the Mamb micro for my daughters rig...no issues with the M-mini..So i wire it with the BEC powering the servo with the signal wire in the receiver only and leave the 3 wires from the ESC to the receiver...using a 4pks when I apply throttle it makes the steering wiggle back and forth..So i try a brand new servo with the ESC powering up the servo ,no BEC and when I pull the throttle its ok but when I steer it , it will go forwards and backwards with out touching the throttle..

Now let me recap..with the Mamba micro there were no issues with the BEC powering the servo and the esc powering the receiver...my guess is it is the motor that needs a capacitor or the speed control is NO GOOD..

I know that this may be a little off-base, but you are certain that the Mamba 25 is set to BRUSHED mode? and, is the firmware current?
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:58 PM   #3
Gold Star Baby!

yup and let me clarify..it will not steer back and forth as much after the initial pull of the throttle..so it is not in brushed mode..but thx..firmware has been updated to 1.29 beta..thats what it says..thats all the same firmware I have all my other Mamba micros updated too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirtic View Post
I know that this may be a little off-base, but you are certain that the Mamba 25 is set to BRUSHED mode? and, is the firmware current?
Old 02-01-2011, 09:07 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I have a similar setup in my super-light 2.2 Scaler.

Mamba Micro 25
Castle BEC
Spektrum AR6000 RX
Bluebird 200oz Servo
3 Cell Lipo

I have it wired in what appears to be the same fashion as you described.....and I cannot recreate the issue. My motor is the only obvious difference....I run a brushless outrunner. I am sorry that I am not of more help. I did try to recreate the problem...without success. Sounds like it is time to call Castle tomorrow. (IF they are open for business tomorrow after the blizzard that is pounding the Midwest right now.)
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:11 PM   #5
Gold Star Baby!

thanks for your HELP..what Im doing now is going to try it with a specktrum receiver and radio and see what happens...stay posted...I will report in 5 minutes

Quote:
I have a similar setup in my super-light 2.2 Scaler.

Mamba Micro 25
Castle BEC
Spektrum AR6000 RX
Bluebird 200oz Servo
3 Cell Lipo

I have it wired in what appears to be the same fashion as you described.....and I cannot recreate the issue. My motor is the only obvious difference....I run a brushless outrunner. I am sorry that I am not of more help. I did try to recreate the problem...without success. Sounds like it is time to call Castle tomorrow. (IF they are open for business tomorrow after the blizzard that is pounding the Midwest right now.)
Old 02-01-2011, 09:15 PM   #6
Gold Star Baby!

Well its not the radio...tried the spektrum with Dx3r and EXACT same thing,so I imagine that this rules out the radio gear..so with Futaba and Spektrum same result...Hmmmmm..hope castl answers their phone!!
Old 02-02-2011, 07:21 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
yup and let me clarify..it will not steer back and forth as much after the initial pull of the throttle..so it is not in brushed mode..but thx..firmware has been updated to 1.29 beta..thats what it says..thats all the same firmware I have all my other Mamba micros updated too.

You stated that it's not in brushed mode????

Isn't it a brushed motor????

JC
skid plate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:38 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid plate View Post

JC
X2.....brushed motors need caps to kill radio interference........so we seem to have conflicting info.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:04 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Try two things try version 1.28 firm beta and then pull the power wire on the 25 and power the reciever off of the BEC. I have never had to run caps with my holmes motors in 25's
clarkrw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:09 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Well, first, needs to make sure that the esc is set for brushed mode......

JC
Old 02-02-2011, 10:58 AM   #11
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:

JC

My BAD !!!! It is in brushed mode...sorry..tired last night and wrong info given...so whats this about brushed motor capacitors?
Old 02-02-2011, 11:36 AM   #12
RCC Addict

One last item to look at also is to make sure you use the black and red esc connections now. Not the white anymore.

Brushed motors use caps to filter noise during operation. You can run without also.

May want to double-check everything again, or try that esc with the steering disconnected.

JC
Old 02-02-2011, 11:47 AM   #13
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
One last item to look at also is to make sure you use the black and red esc connections now. Not the white anymore.

Brushed motors use caps to filter noise during operation. You can run without also.

May want to double-check everything again, or try that esc with the steering disconnected.

JC

Thanks for all your help...but after ALL diagnosis I have determined that either the ESC has a problem or I need to add capacitors to the motor..I will keep this post INFORMED as I get more info..now to call Castle
Old 02-02-2011, 11:58 AM   #14
RCC Addict

I only run my signal from the servo to the rx and it works fine, on someone else's rig I had to connect the negative also or it acted funny.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:02 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

I was running in to the same issues on my mini crawler

Mamba 25
Orion Baja motor
3s lipo
Hitec 645MG servo
Spektrum SR300 receiver

I had the ESC powering the receiver and the BEC powering the servo.
When I pulled the throttle (even slowly) the steering would jerk to the right and then straighten out. It was very flaky.

I also tried having the BEC just plugged in to the receiver (with the power wire pulled from the ESC plug) so that it could power everything. This was stable, but the servo seemed to be lacking power. It was very slow and weak.

After trying several things including switching servos, here is what I ended up with.

The BEC is wired to the servo for power and plugged in to the receiver to power it.

I removed the red wire from the ESC plug, so that it is not powering the receiver.

It is all stable and working very well now.
kwkride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:10 PM   #16
RCC Addict

I just recently helped a guy set up a 25 as the initial firm ware did not allow for brushed. Would it be worth connecting it to castle link and going back to the default settings then resetting everything again to make sure it all resets right? Also I am going to ask a very stupid question but did you rebind for failsafes and recalculate? You said you are running spektrum right?
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote