Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: trying to turn a 9100t into a winch, please help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 10:25 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default trying to turn a 9100t into a winch, please help

i have it all apart and ground the stop from the gear. there is a little black box under the big main gear (where the horn goes) the black box has a tab that goes up into the bottom of the gear. when i turn the tab it has a stop in it also.

what is the box for? it has 3 wires coming out of it. do i need it? i think i am going to use a old esc to run the motor/winch so i dont think i need it. i would just like to know what it is for. thanks for your help. if i need to include more info please let me know
timmy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

that is the potentiometer which is a variable resistor that lets the servo's pcb know where the main gears position is. to use the servo for a winch you can take a drill bit and get rid of the slot the tab goes into and glue the potentiometer in place once you find the center where the motor doesnt turn, then you can just plug the servo into your rx instead of running it off an esc or you could just remove it and use an esc to power the motor. either way will work
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Thanks! so when i here "servo drift" if i dont get the potentiometer dead nuts center it will drift?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoj View Post
that is the potentiometer which is a variable resistor that lets the servo's pcb know where the main gears position is. to use the servo for a winch you can take a drill bit and get rid of the slot the tab goes into and glue the potentiometer in place once you find the center where the motor doesnt turn, then you can just plug the servo into your rx instead of running it off an esc or you could just remove it and use an esc to power the motor. either way will work
timmy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:33 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

yes if you dont have a trim setting for the winch channel. the easiest way to do it it take most of the gears out and have the servo hooked up to the rx and has your controller's switch in the center position and adjust it till the motor stops turning
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:02 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

If you are using a small esc to control the servo motor, you don't need it. As stated above, it tells the servo board where center is, and you only need it when you are using the servo board to control the servo motor.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote