LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 07:46 AM   #1
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Default Breaking news: Spektrum dsmX

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaoXipp_288

Info sourced from: www.spektrumrc.com

A Natural Evolution

Spektrum launched the 2.4GHz RC revolution. Since then millions of hobbyists the world over have come to embrace 2.4GHz technology as the way to race and fly. Spektrum leads the way yet again with DSMX; the world's first wideband, frequency-agile 2.4GHz signal protocol and the most advanced spread spectrum RC technology to date.

DSMX is a natural evolution of DSM2™ technology that is the result of several years of development. It builds on what has come before and takes DSM to the next level of robustness, reliability and efficiency without leaving current DSM2 users behind.

A Solid Foundation: Wideband DSSS

The foundation DSMX is built on is the same foundation as DSM2 the superior on-channel interference resistance and coding gain of wideband DSSS. Compared to the wideband signal of a DSM2 or DSMX system, the narrow-band signal of other 2.4 transmitters is more likely to suffer crucial data loss in the event of on-channel interference. Think of wideband 2.4 as a river and narrow-band 2.4 as a stream. It takes much more interference to stop a river than it does to stop a stream.

The big reason wideband is so robust is coding gain. Essentially what this means is that the unique coding in a DSM2 or DSMX wideband signal allows it to be heard well above the noise of surrounding 2.4GHz signals without requiring any more power. In fact, a Spektrum wideband signal can achieve as much as 3X the range of its narrow-band competition using the same amount of power.

The 'X'-tra Benefit of Agility

What DSMX adds to the tried and true wideband technology of DSM2 is the extra interference protection and faster reconnection times of frequency agility. But DSMX is anything but just another frequency hopping system. It is wideband agile.

DSMX frequency shifts are coordinated using the most advanced FHSS algorithm ever seen in an RC application. Unlike other FHSS transmitters that all hop in the same fixed patterns, every DSMX transmitter has its own unique frequency shift pattern calculated using its GUID (Globally Unique Indentifier). And each pattern uses just 23 channels in the 2.4GHz spectrum.

By adding the agility of unique frequency shifts to the superior interference resistance of a wideband signal, and limiting those shifts to a smaller portion of the 2.4 band, DSMX transmitters provide on-channel interference protection that is simply second to none. The result is quicker reconnection times and superb response in the noisiest 2.4GHz environment.

3D Spread Spectrum

In addition to its wideband DSSS foundation and smarter FHSS protocol, DSMX users will enjoy a third dimension of signal protection that DSM2 users have always enjoyed. Only Spektrum full-range receivers offer the patented advantage of MultiLink dual-path redundancy. When combined with the superior wideband power and frequency agility of DSMX, MultiLink gives RC pilots the fastest, most reliable 2.4 RC technology available in any signal environment.

To learn more about the advantages of MultiLink, click here.

Frequently Asked Questions

Just How Good is DSMX?

In multiple tests, 100 DSMX systems were operated simultaneously for extended periods of time. During these tests not a single case of RF link loss, latency increase or control degradation was experienced or recorded.
Is DSM2 and DSMX equipment compatible?

Yes. DSM2 transmitters are forward compatible with DSMX receivers and DSMX transmitters are backward compatible with the DSM2 receivers. And because DSM2 and DSMX share the same wideband DSSS foundation, all Spektrum users will enjoy superior range, speed and precision whether they're using DSM2 equipment, DSMX equipment or a combination of both.

Are DSM2 transmitters eligible for a DSMX add-on?

Yes, however, DSM2 users who rarely, if ever, fly in big events or other "noisy" 2.4GHz environments may find the DSM2 equipment they have now is all they will ever need. The difference DSMX makes is only apparent when hundreds of 2.4GHz systems are in use at once. To see if your transmitter is eligible for the DSMX add-on, please visit horizonhobby.com for more details.

Does DSMX have ModelMatch™ and ServoSync™?

Yes. DSMX will provide users with these and the many other exclusive Spektrum advantages they already enjoy with DSM2.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2011, 08:43 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

couldn't find it on there site from the link you gave....did a DSMX search on there site and only came up with 20 DSMX RX's and nothing on the radio....does spek have a pistol grip with more then 3 channels yet........bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:55 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Meh. Where's the 4 channel ?
Deezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:07 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1961 View Post
couldn't find it on there site from the link you gave....did a DSMX search on there site and only came up with 20 DSMX RX's and nothing on the radio....does spek have a pistol grip with more then 3 channels yet........bob

http://www.spektrumrc.com/DSMX/
T3rry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:28 AM   #5
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I bet the release of dsmx may have something to do with this http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=11965
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:31 AM   #6
RCC Addict

and Hobbyking will just knock off the X system as well, but good for them trying to stay ahead.

I still have no problems with my DSM1.

I'd like to meet the guy behind HK. I hear he's a real head hunter for these large RC companys that gouge us.

Last edited by youngblood; 02-08-2011 at 09:34 AM.
youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:38 AM   #7
~THE SCALE SHOP~

with our airplanes ive spent a LOOOT of money at HK. just glad its an option as i probly wouldnt be flying if i had to pay thunder power prices.

john whats the virdict on that rx? are people having decent luck with them?
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:43 AM   #8
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Since I haven't been flying planes much in the past few years, I can't comment on the HK receivers. It may very well be back door sales of the same factory for all I know.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:13 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I have heard that the receivers are hit or miss, some people order 3 and all of them work, some order 3 and non work and some order 4 and 2 work. These where the early version, not sure if they changed them or not, the range was about the same as a regular spektrum rx but the quality can deffinalty be seen. The soldier joints look like a 4 year old did them, this is probably what is causing the failures is poor soldier joints.

DSMX is one of two things, spektrum realizing that dsm2 isnt reliable or that they are bowing to public pressure to add hopping to the frequency. Its probably a little of both. But for my planes its an aurora 9, for ground its spektrum because i could care less.
paintballer9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:41 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer9876 View Post

DSMX is one of two things, spektrum realizing that dsm2 isnt reliable.
how is it not reliable, i've never had any issue's with my DX3R and 3100 rx since i got it 2.5 years ago....i've had my SC10 truck over 300 feet away and never lost control.......bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:47 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
how is it not reliable, i've never had any issue's with my DX3R and 3100 rx since i got it 2.5 years ago....i've had my SC10 truck over 300 feet away and never lost control.......bob

Ditto, no problems at all. My DX3R has twice the range of my 3PM.

But, I can't say that I am all that impressed by this. DX4R... now were talkin'.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:54 PM   #12
On the lookout for Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
I bet the release of dsmx may have something to do with this http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=11965
Yeah...just found out about these on Sunday. I got some ordered up from eBay...since HK was out of stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer9876 View Post
DSMX is one of two things, spektrum realizing that dsm2 isnt reliable or that they are bowing to public pressure to add hopping to the frequency. Its probably a little of both. But for my planes its an aurora 9, for ground its spektrum because i could care less.
It's not that DSM2 is unreliable, Spektrum is just stepping up their game a little bit to make thing that much better.
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:05 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

It is probably more the aircraft that has made this change, on a dx7 I had a brown out where the receiver stopped responding and nearly cost me a plane while all being controlled by a cc bec and 4 micro servos. It also has had issues in heavily crowded rf environments because it doesn't hop. Notice how I said I have dx3r, I have had no issues with. There is arguments and discussions on this same topic on many rc flying forums.
paintballer9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:57 PM   #14
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

thanks for keeping us informed Stang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezul View Post
Meh. Where's the 4 channel ?
I second that though.
Left them a note on youtube too.

Last edited by Locked Up; 02-08-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:53 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Dsm2 and dsmx recievers are cross compatible. Didn't you watch the vid
ax-10 crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:13 PM   #16
I'm a stupid C U N T!

The reason for DSMX is because at large events the DSM 2 systems were having to be impounded because the the hopping that the other systems use they would get locked out of channels when a Futaba or hitec would hop onto one of the channels the spektrum was trying to use. they were having lots of signal failures......
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:08 PM   #17
On the lookout for Rocks

I just got my OrangeRx in today. It bound with my DX6i with no issues. No for it to dry up some to see how it works.
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote