Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Rooster: No reverse one day after lipo swap.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2011, 09:33 AM   #1

Default Rooster: No reverse one day after lipo swap.

Well, had it running great and loving the new power for about one day. Now reverse has died and I am having no luck getting it back. I am running the Novak fifty five motor and a small 1300mah lipo and followed the Novak guide 100% for running lipos. I have checked and reset everything but still no luck. The green light is flashing as usual and I can hear the esc trying to work but no reverse. I triple checked everything along the way to make sure I would not have any problems. I guess the esc is fried but why? Any fix for this?

Dan-O

Last edited by Turbo Dan-O; 02-16-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Turbo Dan-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Dan-O View Post
Well, had it running great and loving the new power for about one day. Now reverse has died and I am having no luck getting it back. I am running the Novak fifty five motor and a small 1300mah lipo and followed the Novak guide 100% for running lipos. I have checked and reset everything but still no luck. The green light is flashing as usual and I can hear the esc trying to work but no reverse. I triple checked everything along the way to make sure I would not have any problems. I guess the esc is fried but why? Any fix for this?

Dan-O
Good luck...Novak aint what it used to be...customer service is lacking too. You can try to get warranty repair, but check how much it is going to cost you...it was not cost effective for me and I could buy a much better crawler esc with a little more money than what they were going to charge me. My old Novak esc is still in my rc junk drawer...lol. I moved on several years ago and will never buy Novak again. Loving my Tekin FXR for several years.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:22 PM   #3

Yea, I have seen a lot people talking like this. I am old school and thought Novak was top of the line..... It has always worked great in my crawler but did not last long with this new lipo. Maby time to do something diffrent.

Dan-O
Old 02-16-2011, 01:29 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Was that lipo 3S?

BTW, IMO, Castle is now "top of the line"
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:38 PM   #5
RCC Addict

First I would try another motor it could be messed up and is it the rooster crawler or the old rooster? And like JeremyH said is it 2s or 3s? If you can hear it trying to go in reverse and it wont it could be something sticking like a brush or maybe something got in your motor. Try hooking up another motor because thats a cheaper fix for sure. Hope this helps
JRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:01 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I just reread your post and it sounds like you messed with the programming after you swapped to lipo. If that is correct, then you likely put it in reverse lockout mode.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:04 PM   #7

Thanks for the replys guys! Yes it is a 2s. Dont know if the esc is the new or old. I think I have had it about two years or so if that helps.

Dan-O
Old 02-16-2011, 02:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
I just reread your post and it sounds like you messed with the programming after you swapped to lipo. If that is correct, then you likely put it in reverse lockout mode.

It was working great and then just quit going into reverse in the middle of a run.... Something I am missing?

Dan-O
Old 02-16-2011, 02:11 PM   #9

Also, if I am on a hill, reverse will let it "roll" back but there is no power being put to the motor.

Dan-O
Old 02-16-2011, 02:38 PM   #10
Yashua

This may sound rediculous but have you messed with the controls on your radio? Sounds like you could have your throttle trim all to one end. Worth looking at.
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:35 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREEPERBOB View Post
This may sound rediculous but have you messed with the controls on your radio? Sounds like you could have your throttle trim all to one end. Worth looking at.
I agree. Since this happened during a run, he might have just bumped the trim slightly and his ESC probably has a reverse delay...and since the trim is forward, the ESC isnt seeing neutral so it isnt allowing reverse and also is eliminating the drag.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:54 AM   #12

There is not much to mess with on my controler that would make it act like this. Like I said, the green light is flashing in reverse like it should and I can hear it making noise but no reverse. Foward and steering are still perfect.

Dan-O
Old 02-17-2011, 08:30 AM   #13

I just checked voltage at the motor and in reverse I am only getting .01 volts.

Dan-O
Old 02-17-2011, 08:35 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Typically, if wired correctly, the green light on the ESC will flash when the truck is moving forward. Every radio has trim settings for both throttle and steering. What radio are you using?
Old 02-17-2011, 09:30 AM   #15

I am using an old JR XR3 FM radio. The green light is solid full throttle foward. I took the esc apart and did not find anything fried or lose.

Dan-O
Old 02-17-2011, 11:05 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

When the truck is sitting at rest, what color is the led? What lights are blinking? What color did reverse used to be??
Old 02-17-2011, 11:59 AM   #17

At rest it is solid red. Full throttle is solid green. Reverse is flashing green like it always has.

Dan-O
Old 02-17-2011, 01:09 PM   #18
RCC Addict

that's how it should be. same as my rooster crawler. is there any kind of plug or connector between the esc and motor? check the soldering or crimping if there is any
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:14 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Humm...ok. I am stumped. Maybe it's time to give Novak a call.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:00 PM   #20

Thanks for all the help guys! No, I have it wired straight to the motor. I might give Novak a call. I have heard a lot of good things about the Tekin FX esc so I might order one up. What do you guys think? I cannot imagine this thing on a big 3s!

Dan-O