Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Issue with Castle BEC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2011, 03:20 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Issue with Castle BEC

Hi, I just wired up my Castle BEC and I have some issues. All of my connections are good but the servo is not responding. Is there a certain order i have to power everything up? the specs and wiring diagram are below.

Stock Losi ESC and RX
Hitec 7955
Castle BEC

du4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2011, 05:23 PM   #2
Custom Carbon Fiber

Does the servo work fine if you plug everything into the receiver?

Is the little green light lit up on the BEC? Have you set the voltage correctly on the BEC with the CC Link?

Some of us have had problems with BECs lately.
Blowing CC BEC's
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:33 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

sounds like the power wires from the BEC to the servo are backwards
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:08 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I ended up taking mine off and running stock BEC right out of my ESC. works fine. No need for the external BEC , I have a HS7955TG . has plenty of power and nothing gets hot.

Last edited by T/C Hunter; 02-19-2011 at 06:13 PM.
T/C Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:02 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

If you wired it like you pic, you wired it wrong. The first thing you do is pull the red power wire from you esc. You plug the servo and the esc into the rx just like normal (minus the red wire on the esc, you can fold it back and tape it to its self). Then you can plug the BEC into the extra port on your rx (doesn't matter witch one). Wire the bec inline with the battery leads on your esc. You do it this way you should have no trouble. Your bec will acually power your rx from now on not your esc. Hope this helps?
DeadlySwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:58 PM   #6
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlySwan View Post
If you wired it like you pic, you wired it wrong. The first thing you do is pull the red power wire from you esc. You plug the servo and the esc into the rx just like normal (minus the red wire on the esc, you can fold it back and tape it to its self). Then you can plug the BEC into the extra port on your rx (doesn't matter witch one). Wire the bec inline with the battery leads on your esc. You do it this way you should have no trouble. Your bec will acually power your rx from now on not your esc. Hope this helps?

Hes trying to power the Servo off the bec ....... you dont need to pull the esc power/red wire when you do it this way.

Doing it this way you can maximize the voltage supplied to the servo and in cases of HT servo's you get their full potential. Running the Servos off the RX's using a bec your limited to an output of only what the RX can take as an input.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:06 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I had my berg wired just like that picture for over a year with no problems. Then switched to a Losi and fried 2 BEC's in 20 minutes or so. Castle claims that if you wire it that way you are not getting a good ground. I call BS on that but I'm no electrical engineer. The only problem I have with the way Castle wants you to wire it is that the dig servo is seeing the same voltage (8.4v in my case) as the steering servo.
rob_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:35 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

I figured it out. The signal wire from the RX the servo had a short in it that only showed up when you held it the right way. Thanks for everyones help!
Old 02-19-2011, 08:35 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Oh well, my bad . I'm still learning the tricks myself. My ht-7955 can only take 6v so I haven't tried any other ways to hook it up.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:48 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Oh well, my bad . I'm still learning the tricks myself. My ht-7955 can only take 6v so I haven't tried any other ways to hook it up.
The bec in the stock RX only outputs 5.3 volts when its not under load. When you get it all bound up, I bet the voltage drops. The way I have it wired up, I get 6 volts under load all the time.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:21 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I have a CC Bec. I have it set at 6v. I have mine hooked up the way I discribed. I thought if I sent 6v to my receiver from the bec it would send 6v to my servo. Is this not correct?
Old 02-19-2011, 09:25 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Probably. Put a voltmeter on in and find out. I was talking about the stock setup without a BEC, because I did not know you had a BEC installed already. The RX will only output what it is capable of receiving. I was afraid of not putting enough power to the RX and the servo at the same time under load if I wired it like yours.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:38 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Sorry, not trying to highjack your thread. I originally thought I was helping. I'm running 3s with the bec wired straight to the battery(esc battery wires). So even under a load I know my rx and my servo are getting the 6v(I need to get my voltmeter out to verify). Hope I haven't confused anyone? The way I listed is how CC says to hook it up.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:57 PM   #14
Looking for new Trails

Quote:

Drawing please? I know I should not have to ask but I just making sure I understand....
yoda@4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote