Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: How does Drag Brake work? What's the principle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 08:55 PM   #1

Default How does Drag Brake work? What's the principle?

I've gone through but no result.
I know ESC control the motor by voltage, but I have no idea how the drag brake works, the adjustable drag brake implements. Could anyone give me some details in physics? Thanks in advance.
Campaign000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2011, 08:59 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Magic

Well the way i understand it the esc simply shorts out the motor.
paintballer9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:58 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

ESC's use a PWM (pulse width modulation) scheme for both acceleration an braking. In acceleration, the power to the motor is switched on and off at a very high rate. The ratio of power on time to power off time (aka duty cycle) controls motor speed. The more of the time the power is on, the faster the motor goes.

Similarly, in braking the electrical short across the motor is switched on and off at a very high rate. The ratio of short applied time to short disconnected time (aka duty cycle) controls braking power. The more of the time the short is applied the more powerful the braking.

The drag brake setting is simply the amount of braking power applied at off-throttle.

If you could instantly move your trigger finger from acceleration to a consistent braking position (value) when you wanted to perform a stop maneuver, you would be accomplishing the same thing as the drag brake setting.

Narly1

Last edited by Narly1; 02-23-2011 at 03:13 PM.
Narly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer9876 View Post
Magic

How to explain the adjustable drag brake if just simply short out?
Old 02-22-2011, 10:12 PM   #5
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

There are three ways to do it. First is to short the motor. This just builds up heat in the motor and any electronics in the loop. Not efficient, and only as effective as the motor allows. Added resistance in the system decreases drag power. The second way is to use the battery as a load for the motor, in essence trying to charge the battery when the motor turns. Same as regen braking, only brakes are available at neutral throttle too. This is most efficient, but it is limited by the motor design and loop resistance. The third method used with my Holmes Hold mode is an active brake, which uses power to brake the motor. With the magic of a specialized waveform with PWM control and a tidy feedback loop, it allows for instant hold in either direction by injecting voltage opposite to the motor's spin. Not the most efficient, but the most effective.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campaign000 View Post
How to explain the adjustable drag brake if just simply short out?

PWM, AKA duty cycle. If you only short the motor 50% of the time, you only get half strength brake.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narly1 View Post
ESC's use a PWM (pulse width modulation) scheme for both acceleration an braking. In acceleration, the power to the motor is switched on and off at a very high rate. The ratio of power on time to power off time controls motor speed. The more of the time the power is on, the faster the motor goes.

Similarly, in braking the electrical short across the motor is switched on and off at a very high rate. The ratio of short applied time to short disconnected time controls braking power. The more of the time the short is applied the more powerful the braking.

The drag brake setting is simply the amount of braking power applied at off-throttle.

If you could instantly move your trigger finger from acceleration to a consistent braking position (value) when you wanted to perform a stop maneuver, you would be accomplishing the as the drag brake setting.

Narly1

Thanks Narly. Your words made a great explanation!
Old 02-22-2011, 10:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
There are three ways to do it. First is to short the motor. This just builds up heat in the motor and any electronics in the loop. Not efficient, and only as effective as the motor allows. Added resistance in the system decreases drag power. The second way is to use the battery as a load for the motor, in essence trying to charge the battery when the motor turns. Same as regen braking, only brakes are available at neutral throttle too. This is most efficient, but it is limited by the motor design and loop resistance. The third method used with my Holmes Hold mode is an active brake, which uses power to brake the motor. With the magic of a specialized waveform with PWM control and a tidy feedback loop, it allows for instant hold in either direction by injecting voltage opposite to the motor's spin. Not the most efficient, but the most effective.

Great appreciation John for the full information! suddenly enlightened.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:33 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer9876 View Post
Magic

Quote:
..... The third method used with my Holmes Hold mode is an active brake, which uses power to brake the motor. With the magic of a specialized waveform with PWM control and a tidy feedback loop, it allows for instant hold in either direction by injecting voltage opposite to the motor's spin. Not the most efficient, but the most effective.
looks like it really is magic!
inginear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:18 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campaign000 View Post
Thanks Narly. Your words made a great explanation!
Thanks for the compliment. One of things I like to do with my posts is to try and explain concepts in a way that anybody can understand them.

BTW, I edited my original reply a bit, adding the term "duty cycle", just to make things a bit clearer.

Narly1
Old 02-23-2011, 08:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narly1 View Post
Thanks for the compliment. One of things I like to do with my posts is to try and explain concepts in a way that anybody can understand them.

BTW, I edited my original reply a bit, adding the term "duty cycle", just to make things a bit clearer.

Narly1

Thanks man
Old 02-23-2011, 09:01 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

How much does the motor factor into the strength of the drag break? I have my CC MMP set to 213% DB strength, my motor got a little hot one day and the DB doesn't seem as strong. What should one look for in a motor regarding DB?
day215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:24 AM   #13

The magnet strength and steel concentration has a lot to do with the drag, with exception to using my Holmes Hold brake. The weaker the magnets, the weaker the passive drag. The lower the steel flux, the weaker the drag.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:45 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The magnet strength and steel concentration has a lot to do with the drag, with exception to using my Holmes Hold brake. The weaker the magnets, the weaker the passive drag. The lower the steel flux, the weaker the drag.
So would this mean that a motor not holding, even on a maxed out speedo setting, is outfitted with magnets and steel of lower or inferior quality?

Or is there a trade off at play with magnet choice? For example, do weaker magnets yield smoother low end throttle input?
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:56 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepyCrawl View Post
So would this mean that a motor not holding, even on a maxed out speedo setting, is outfitted with magnets and steel of lower or inferior quality?
Either that or they have somehow become demagnetized to some extent, overheating being the worst culprit.

Narly1
Old 02-24-2011, 07:18 AM   #16

Lower strength magnets do not always indicate inferior quality, but in many cases it may be true. Overheated magnets are certainly weaker.

Weaker magnets can give a better low speed control if other aspects of the motor design and speed controller allow for it. That is why I haven't produced any neo magnet brushed motors. I built some and just couldn't get the low end I desired without compromising other design aspects. Hopefully Eddie has techniques that I didn't try that can hit that sweet spot.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:19 AM   #17
Old guy

I know if your eletronics don't work in Colorado ,you throw rocks at the rig and some how this will fix it. I've never tried it but I know thats what they do in Colorado. I think they even have a rock throwing club or click of some kind. I've seen it in their sigs and avatars.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:21 AM   #18

It must be the rocks. Special magnetic rocks or something.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:52 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKEDUP RICKY View Post
I know if your eletronics don't work in Colorado ,you throw rocks at the rig and some how this will fix it. I've never tried it but I know thats what they do in Colorado. I think they even have a rock throwing club or click of some kind. I've seen it in their sigs and avatars.

Priceless........................

JC
skid plate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:18 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKEDUP RICKY View Post
Quote:
It must be the rocks. Special magnetic rocks or something.
magic rocks! Just here to bring a smile to your day...
Rubbaneck is offline   Reply With Quote