Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: massive servo in axial

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2011, 10:57 AM   #1

Question massive servo in axial

I just purchased a massive rcs m8166, its 32kg/c @6v (450+oz.trq) also refferred to as ss812.

I have an axial ax10, and the stock esc along with a spektrum dx3e tx/rx,
the servo is rated 3.5v-8.4v. I was reading on another large scale torque servo that reccommended wiring the servo to the battery as the amp draw can fry the rx? I am looking to get the mamba max pro soon, my stock axial as-2 is malfunctioning and im going to start running 4s.

So the question is will I be able to run this servo with my stock electronics? or will I need to wire this to a battery? How? Ive got 850mah 2s pacs. ive also got that little aa pack thing that came with my dx3e.

and when I do get the mmp what will be neccesary to satisfy the hunger of a massive amp draw servo? ecspecially if it is going to lower my run time! thanks in advance for the consideration.
TheRockguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2011, 11:14 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

You will need a BEC when you run a lipo bigger than a 2s. With the 2s lipo you could power your servo directly from the battery, and just plug the signal wire for servo into the rx. When you get the new MMP and bigger lipos I would suggest the Castle Creation BEC. As for your runtimes I don't know much other than buy a bigger MAH lipo. You should be able to run the servo now with the stock electronics on 2s.
456heinbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:26 AM   #3

so what I think I might try is running a separate 2s pack for the servo itself and getting a voltage light or something, or just charge it every couple hours or whatever.

when I do go to 4s im thinking of just wiring in parrallel of series or whichever it was to double the voltage of my 2s packs.
but is the mmp internal switching bec is not up to the task at 4s?

how do you wire a servo directly to battery, I have looked at the 3 wires and know that one is for signal and other two are power, but do I just solder those tiny wires to a deans plug?
I do have a schematic that shows positive/negative. thanks for your help.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:00 PM   #4
Got Worms?

well, why not just run off the balance tap, so when you do go 4s you can still run 2cells straight to your servo.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:38 PM   #5

well, why not just run off the balance tap, so when you do go 4s you can still run 2cells straight to your servo.
---Losikid original quote---

cause I was waiting for you to tell me about it!

I wasnt aware that is how its done, where can I find info. on how to wire that into balance port (to which wires? there are 3 on my 2s lipos)
and is there a good adapter/connector that can be used to make the servo plug into the balance port? I would want to modify just the servo end of course.

( by the way just saw your 6ch modded radio kits for 80 and wish i would have found that before I bought my dx3e, Ive even got a 6ch reciever for it on the way, but what you have done is incredable) Cant spell im from Idaho
thanks for all the info. and I promise I tried to wear out the search function before my first post.

Last edited by TheRockguy; 02-27-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:55 PM   #6
Got Worms?

I've actually never done it because i run at 6v, or heard of it done...but on a 2s just add the power wires to your deans on the esc side, but on a 3s or 4s what you want to do is get the correct balance tap (i use jst-xh comes on many of the chinese packs) and then use the black line for gnd and 2nd one closets to it for hot (i think, make sure and check with multimeter). If you need pics let me know, i can get some.

If you want to run 3s i have the stuff i could make you an adapter, but i don't have the stuff for 4s (i can order the stuff though next time i am ordering parts). But what you'll need is the correct balance tap, and a servo connector for parts. If you was to buy a servo extension, and a balance extension you could splice them together.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:32 PM   #7

cool, I have some extra servo wires, even one that is like an extension, along with a blown servo with its extra wiring. just bought a female hyperion balance port adapter off fleebay. pics would be great on how to wire this all in a clean manner.(if that is possible to do)

I want to try to make the wiring setup for making two 2s packs into 4s but have terrible soldering skills. gonna try and work on that, I know I can buy these adapters but I got bunch of solder and i bought a few extra deans connectors.

another crazy idea can I take 2 of my 2s packs and wire them together to make a 4s pack, with one balance port for easy charging? being your obviously a guy who understands wiring stuff thought you would be the one who would know. it sure would simplify the wiring mess and make charging easier.

you were talking about an adapter to run 3s, do you mean using multiple 2s packs, 3 of them? double mah rating(of 1 pack) and 3s voltage? im not sure but mind is wandering. I just dont want to buy more batteries at this point and believe 3s will do the job for my project just fine, save some parts from destruction also.

thanks much for your time!!
Old 02-28-2011, 07:03 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

My concern with running something off the balance port is that you won't have a low voltage cutoff........
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:38 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
My concern with running something off the balance port is that you won't have a low voltage cutoff........
An LVC will still kill the motor....no matter how he hooks up his steering. Even if you run an external BEC and power your servo directly from that (which a LOT of folks here do), then you bypass the ESC completely (also bypassing the LVC)...and no negative side effects are seen. The ability to steer is not so much fun when the truck doesn't move forward....so most folks will give up and put in a fresh pack.

BTW, Rockguy, you werent kidding...that servo is physically massive!

Last edited by JeremyH; 02-28-2011 at 07:40 AM.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:40 AM   #10
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post

X2.....

Why not just buy a tiny 2 cell for the servo? Then run another 3 or 4 cell for everything else? Here's a good little 2 cell that'd be easy to stuff in a chassis....

http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...&cat=10&page=1
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:26 PM   #11

with the servo being so massive (and weighing 5.6 oz) im building a custom plate for it and will be mounting batterys next to it, the servo is so big that I can put 3 batterys next to it (850mah 2s elites) and they will still look small, so I can run one for steering and two for power (4s) , or 3 for power (6s) and tap in for steering, shoot I could even stack four and it would be 1/8 inch taller then servo, 6s with battery for steering Ill just run 4s though, cant afford so many broke parts yet!

however it goes, Ill make sure to keep the battery for steering charged just as often as the power batterys.

the question on the mamba max pro still stands, can I run this servo off of its internal bec or will it hurt something (like my rx?) its a high draw unit of course.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:37 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

If you run it off the balance tap then the cells that are running the servo will drain faster than the other cells...This is really asking for trouble!

Why dont you just follow everyone elses lead and run a BEC?
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:49 PM   #13
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
Why dont you just follow everyone elses lead and run a BEC?
That would be to easy. I would agree though.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:30 PM   #14

that would be too easy, plus I ran out of money just now and this is what im working with.

Easy fix that Ill probally not change is Im gonna use one pack dedicated to this monster servo, at least until I replace my esc with a MMP. will just keep it charged.

lots of weight that I need for that front axle, Ive got a bunch of parts coming and am planning on doing a build thread in the axial section.
Ive got some 6 inch tall narrowed mashers, the big arse servo, stainless outputs, and some 4 inch tall shocks that Ill run with some droop and a hack job chassis mod (until I get the dimensions right) then other stuff will happen......