Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Waterproof Brushless motors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 10:36 AM   #1

Default Waterproof Brushless motors

I'm trying to find out if there is a completely waterproof brushless motor out there besides the velineon motors. I like to go scuba steve with my scx10 sometimes but i like the throttle punch of the brushless systems. I would hate to do trial and error on a expensive brushless motor. I don't want to run traxxas motors cause they are wicked too too fast and everyone and their mother runs them. Any help would be great.
srdpheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2011, 11:14 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

The velineon really isn't different from the rest of the ones out there. Only reason that they say its "waterproof" is because of that stupid plastic boot on the endbell. In my experience that cover lets water through and traps it against the endbell and bearing in the motor causing the bearings to fail prematurely. I found it better to leave the cover off and just service my motor after i had an outing in the water. With proper maintanance almost any brushless will be fine playing in the water. I would avoid sensored and outrunners though
highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:03 PM   #3

How are you supposed to service a brushless motor. Doesn't the velineon get hot from driving slow and crawling?
Old 02-28-2011, 03:32 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Yes and No

Yes do you need to clean brushless motors. Use motor spray/electronic contact cleaner to spray out all the shit and then lube bearings.

No it shouldnt get hot from crawling as you're not pushing massive RPM all the time.

3rd. A velineon motor is a shit crawler motor being sensorless and also to higher kV. It stutters and cogs like nothing else. A bit choice is an brushless outrunner under 2000kv
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:04 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I use a sensored goat underwater with no problems whatsoever. I took the motor apart, sealed the sensor ring with liquid electrical tape and re-assembled. Then with regular maintenance its no problem at all. My run times are waaay longer than with brushed motors for what its worth.
menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:25 PM   #6

Hey menace Im interested in getting the goat/novac motor setup. Is it both fast for the ttc and general f'ing around but also able to go slow/smooth enough for the rocks? Is there any links on how to get it ready for the water? How hard is it to take apart and clean and such? is it like taking apart a brush motor?
Dansam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:03 AM   #7

when i get a brushless motor do i need to get a new esc? Im running a XL-5 right now. What is the process you take to waterproof the brushless motor. A link or some pictures would be great.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:57 AM   #8

you dont really need to waterproof a brushless motor, just clean it after its been through water, mud, whatever. and yea im pretty sure you will need a new esc.
sdfitted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:05 AM   #9

i run my sensorless tacon motor thru water all the time, once im done playing I blow air thru it and relube the bearings. @ 30 bucks say its a good buy
iggnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:16 AM   #10

i had more than 80 runs on big brushless motors, all what i did was oiling bearing. i did open a few time on the previous motors, nothing to maintain or airblow. did asked around, these brushless is maintenance free is always the response i got.

brushless motor r all waterproof, arent they? just tape the wires carefully.
kk_kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:21 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Sensorless motors are generally worry free when you run in water.
With Sensored you should seal around the sensor area to ensure no shit gets in there. Otherwise thats it.
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:00 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

For a sensored motor you have to remove the end cap, de-solder the 3 leads in the back end plate, strip the motor down until you get to the sensor ring. Then liberally apply liquid electrical tape to the ring making sure you leave the center hole nice and clear then re-assemble. Works like a champ..
menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:07 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Water doesn't hurt the motors at all.
It's the cr@p in the water that hurts them.
JeepinDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:57 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinDoug View Post
Water doesn't hurt the motors at all.
It's the cr@p in the water that hurts them.
Yup, which is why I stick to cheap brushed motors for rigs that see water and mud. I don't mind frying a 10-20 dollar motor. I can't say the same for a 75 dollar plus motor though.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote