Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: This has been bugging me so Im sure a few other guys want to know also

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011, 09:52 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default This has been bugging me so Im sure a few other guys want to know also

On a rig with dual esc's when you do a front or rear dig and you shut down one of the motors, does the esc actually turn OFF so the motor's magnets are what is keeping the axle locked or does the esc stay on and use the drag brake of the esc to lock the motor up?

The reason I ask is I have two rigs, one with dual fxr's and the other with dual BRXL's. Running a 4pk with both and have the fxr's set to max drag brake and using the holmes hold on the TM's. The fxr rig still alows the wheels to roll but the TM locks that sucker up tight.

SO CAN YOU TELL ME FOR SURE WHAT IS GOING ON?

(I am actually assuming the holmes hold reverses polarity and feeds power at all times to get that strong of a lock but that is just an assumption)
Illeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2011, 09:57 PM   #2
Got Worms?

It's brake that holds it. Holmes hold as I understand it uses a feed back loop the injects just enough power into the motor it will lock up and. Not go backwards. Well that's in simple terms

Last edited by losikid; 03-04-2011 at 10:01 PM.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:22 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

it's a brake, which essentially just jumps the negative and positive motor contacts... try it, with no power to your rig, take a piece of wire and jump the negative and positive on the motor, it make sit very difficult to spin the motor.
T3rry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:50 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I cant say for sure if there is a difference in drag brake hold between the two setups. I am curious if the two rigs are the same. There could be something else making the FXR rigs drag brake have less hold than the BR-XL rig.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:54 PM   #5
cherry bomb

are both rigs running the same motors? in my AX10 the drag brake was awesome with XXX motor, swap in XXX motor and its terrible, put in another quality motor and its good again.

my XR10 had silvercan motors for a while, the drag brake couldn't hold it from rolling for the life of it, put in some better quality motors and it holds like no other (hard to physicaly turn by hand even)

quality of motor helps alot (stiffer brush springs too)
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:56 AM   #6
Official Cook of the ECC

The FXR just doesn't hold a candle to the BR-XL in terms of drag brake............end of story.

Apples vs Oranges. The BR-XL just has more brake strength.
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:16 AM   #7
R.I.P. Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattman View Post
The FXR just doesn't hold a candle to the BR-XL in terms of drag brake............end of story.

Apples vs Oranges. The BR-XL just has more brake strength.
Exactly.

What you are seeing is how much more powerful the Holmes Hold brake is than the brake on the FXR.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:25 PM   #8
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rry View Post
it's a brake, which essentially just jumps the negative and positive motor contacts... try it, with no power to your rig, take a piece of wire and jump the negative and positive on the motor, it make sit very difficult to spin the motor.
If there is no power it won't work, have to have power in the motor then short the leads
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:00 AM   #9
RCC Addict

I have the regular FXR's and dont get me wrong they are great esc's. I was not trying to compare them to the brxl's in any way. I was merely trying to get a definitive answer on how the actual 'technology' works. I am running the dual fxr's in my 2.2 comp rig and I have ran the fxr's in all my scalers and love the drag brake but even at 100% drag they wont lock up the motors on a dig as hard as I would like them too in the comp rig. I set up my brother in law berg with dual Mamba Micro Pros and the crawler brake is actually 213% on the castle software which is max but I dont really notice it being any stronger than the fxr's. Like you guys said there is no comparison the the "HOLD" power of the BRXL's.
Illeagle is offline   Reply With Quote