Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Advice needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 02:56 PM   #1

Default Advice needed

New to RC: Just purchased a Tamiya CR01 Toyota FJ-40, (not built yet) following posts & would like to use the Novak Rooster Crawler ESC w/fan & the HiTec HS-645MG servo. Will these work ? whats your suggestions for this application.
What battery should I use? suggestions
What radio & receiver should I purchase? suggestions
What else will I need. suggestions
I know this is a lot, but you guys know your sh** and I want to do this project the best I can without breaking the bank. Thanks for any suggestions.... I need help
wetvettetom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2011, 04:24 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

For future reference questions such as this one should go in the newbie section. These questions get asked all the time and really clutter up the tech sections.

Ok, now that that is done with. Welcome to the forum.

On to your questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetvettetom View Post
New to RC: Just purchased a Tamiya CR01 Toyota FJ-40, (not built yet) following posts & would like to use the Novak Rooster Crawler ESC w/fan & the HiTec HS-645MG servo. Will these work ? whats your suggestions for this application.
Well as with any purchase there are a bunch of things to consider. What will you be doing with this rig when it is done? Will it see any water/mud?

I dont have any personal experience with the Novak Rooster Crawler but in my mind the Holmes Hobbies BR-XL is a superior ESC and it is only like $10 more. You can get it in a waterproof version and it will run on up to a 6s lipo vs the recommended max of the Novak unit being 2s. Even if you dont use some of the features right away you will have a great ESC to use later down the road. Check it out : http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...4&cat=2&page=1

You can use the BR-XL will the brushed motor of your choice, you can spend $15 on a cheap machine wound motor or go for a more expensive handwound or puller from one of our vendors. Of course you can always upgrade later or keep an eye on the classifieds (you will have to get yourself a star or be on here for 30 days w/ 30 posts or something like that) if you are trying to save some cash.

Holmes is a supporter of the site and is on here every day to help out with electronics issues.

The HiTec HS-645MG servo is a good budget servo and should do fine on your truck. The main thing that we look for in servos is how much torque they have and if they have metal gears or not. I think that servo should work fine for now, you can always upgrade later if you feel like you dont have the power you want. Check ebay for them, you can get them for $5-10 cheaper there brand new.

Quote:
What battery should I use? suggestions
Most of us are using Lipo batteries. They are small and pack a serious punch although they are a little more dangerous than the traditional "stick packs". For a scaler like yours I would probably look for a 3s 30c 1500Mah pack. We have another great vendor on here www.cheapbatterypacks.com they should be able to hook you up. Another source that a lot of people use for cheap batteries is www.hobbyking.com they are in china so the quality isnt as good but I have had good luck with their stuff.

If you do go lipo you will need a lipo charger and you should do a search for lipo in electronics and do some reading on how to take care of them. They will explode into a ball of fire if you dont care for them properly, dont let that keep you from going with them.

Quote:
What radio & receiver should I purchase? suggestions
You should really evaluate what you need and what you might need in the future when selecting a radio. It will be one of the more expensive things that you are going to buy so getting the right one the first time will end up saving you money in the long run.

Any RC car or truck needs a minimum of 2 channels. One for steering and one for throttle/brakes. Any additional function that you want will require an additional channel. Lights, 2 or 3 speed transmissions, winches, dig (Mostly used on comp rigs) are examples of things you may want to add.

There are a ton of radios out there so I am not going to make a list of all the good ones out there. You will have to select either a pistol grip radio or a stick radio. It really doesnt matter, its just personal preference. If you decide on pistol or stick, how many channels you want and a price range Im sure we can help you select a good radio that will last you a long time.

Quote:
What else will I need. suggestions
Those are all the major things that you will need. Eventually you will want to upgrade some stuff like wheels and tires, maybe add some scale accessories like lights bumpers etc.

Use the search function, you will get instant answers to almost any question you may have. It is helpful to select "advanced search" from the little drop down box and then search in titles only. That should get you good results for reviews and information about particular products.

We also have a section dedicated to the CC01, probably some good reading in there. http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-xc-cc01/

Hope that helps
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:30 PM   #3

thanks for the reply that really helps with our search... Very detailed...
LRS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:44 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

He pretty much about covered it. I'll just put in my two cents.

I have been running Rooster Crawlers for a while in two of our Honchos, and they had been in my AX10s before that. I've always had good luck with them, were on 55Ts in the AXs and on 35Ts in the Honchos now. The only reason I'm switching them over to Sidewinders is that I like the ability to use the Castle link software to program them. If you are just planning on bashing around with it, you'll be fine, never had an issue with them.

One last thing. If I have one regret over the years when in comes to RC is that I didn't realize the importance of a good radio system until recently. I've always had cheap/RTR radio equipment, and gotten by, but recently we upgraded to the Futaba 4PL, and it is the sh*t. Maybe not right off the bat, but if you really see yourself sticking with it, you will not be sorry.

Welcome to the addiction
zjguy721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:32 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Get the new sidewinder V2, same thing couple updates and cheaper. I just picked a couple up for $65 a piece. Plus you can throw them in a go fast w/ unsensored brushless if you want.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote