Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: faster lipo charging question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 01:31 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default faster lipo charging question

poking around the internet and reading up on lipo batteries trying to learn about them along with great info here. I use a hyperion charger with the balancer (can't remember the model #) and i'm finding that regardless if i'm charging a 2s or 3s battery, 1000 mah or 3000 mah, they all seem to take about 1 hour to charge. Not that big of a deal, but in some of my reading i have read that if you have a quality battery, and a quality charger, you can set the charger to charge at a higher capacity than what the battery is rated in order to speed up charge times.

I'm ASSuming this means i could charge a 2s at a 3s rate? Is there any truth about this or should i just stick with my 1 hour charge time? What's the scoop on this?
concretejungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2011, 01:34 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Some packs are rated for higher than 1C charge rate. For example.....a 1C charge rate for a 1000mAh pack, is 1Amp. If that same pack were rated for a 2C charge rate, then the manufacturer has said that you are able to charge this pack at a 2Amp setting.

Dont change the voltage setting of the pack....only current.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:45 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

OK, thanks!

So, if i have a turnigy 1000 mah 2S with a 30-40C discharge rate, what does that mean when i go to charge it? Right now i'm just plugging it into the charger and setting the mAh rating and the # of cells. That's it, and the charger automatically sets it at 1.0a charging and it takes 1 hour. So if it does not say on the packaging "can be charged at "X"c rating" i just just stick with the safe charging rate i've been using?
Old 03-10-2011, 03:51 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Discharge rate gives you the amount of current that the battery can send out....and has nothing to do with the way you charge that pack.

If you are setting your charger at the capacity of the pack (1000mAh), then you are charging at 1C. The battery will usually say on the package what the charge rating is.....if it doesnt, then yes, I'd stick with the 1C (1000mAh) setting that you have been using.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:22 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

On the back of the turnigy packs in the fine print is the maximum 'C' charge rate. Rule of thumb is that 2C charge is maximum with Turnigy.

Charging at higher rates also decreases the overall life of the cells, meaning you're going to be up to new batteries sooner.

Also charging above 1c is something to do at your own risk alot of times, make sure you use a ammo box or lipo sack to charge in.
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:09 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

OK, gotcha, now it makes sense! I do charge in an Ammo box! lol how did you know?!

I am just going to stick with the safe charge rate. These batteries are not "that" expensive and i would rather have two or three to use and charge safely for long life, than to try to burn through one by charging it too fast.