Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 4PL front/rear dig work-around if you don't have the update

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 09:43 PM   #1

Default 4PL front/rear dig work-around if you don't have the update

Fellas,
Ironically, my Japanese market 4pl doesn't have the update for the dig function on the DT switches, so I home-brewed my own work-around until they release hit here in Japan. Alternately, even if you do have the update but like the idea of having the front and rear digs controlled by separate switches, this may work well for you. In the end nothing is permanent and you can go back to however you had the radio set.

Step 1: Set whatever DT switch you want to use to turn the front dig off and on (I used DT-1). Select ESC-RT, set it for 2P (2 position) and put it in REV mode. That way when activated, it'll either turn the ESC rate full on or off. Essentially that'll only drive the front wheels and act as your dig. Push fwd on the dt-1 and it's "on", pull back on the switch and it's "off".

Step 2: PROG MIX. Set the mode to anything other than INH (you'll assign the switch later). Set FWRD to -100, BRAK to -100, MST to THR, SLV to THR, MXMD to OFF (either one really as it doesn't matter in this mix program), TRM OFF

Step 3: In the DIAL SW menu under SWITCH assign SW2.SLD to PRGMIX. The slider is either off or on (the 2 aft positions are off and the fwd is on so it's not hard to use). Once activated it only drive the rear wheels giving you a rear dig. Truth told, I don't use rear dig that much so having it there isn't an inconvenience.

Step 4: In the CH3 CH 4 menu, work your way to CH4 and set EPA-U and EPA-D to 85(ish). It'll depend on how much or little overdrive you get on the rear wheels...play with it a bit and you'll see what I mean.

Step 5: Assign another DT (in my case I used DT-2) for ESC rate and set it to 10% increments which will give you the ability to under drive your rear wheels. You won't be able to overdrive past the 85% set in the CH4 EPA. Keeping the EPA at 100 will allow you to over drive the rear but it'll make turning the front dig on/off more complicated...you'll just have to program it and see for yourself as it's impossible to explain.

You still have to assign SW1 as ESC (it'll still work and confuse the heck out of you if you push it while you have the mix mode on or the ESC-RT set to ON so try not to push it).

R/
Dustin

Last edited by Konish; 03-13-2011 at 03:49 AM.
Konish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2011, 02:58 AM   #2
Ado

tried to get this to work but I could only get the dig to work on one side.
Ado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ado View Post
tried to get this to work but I could only get the dig to work on one side.
Which side, front or rear?
Old 03-14-2011, 03:43 AM   #4
Ado

If I remember correctly... front only.
Ado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:45 PM   #5

If you want, post up your settings and we can walk through this but it'll be impossible to tell what's going on without some level of detail. The radio is 100% able to perform this function if programmed correctly and it really isn't too hard. I literally just sat and played with it for an hour or so to come up with settings.

If you are afraid that you might mess up the settings you have for your current model, designate one of the forty in the model menu as a test mule and play with it in display. Hell, you could even copy the whole program over to your rig once you get it working right so you don't have to re-enter everything.

You don't need your truck hooked up per se, because ifyou see your bar graph doing the desired function, the ESC and servos will respond accordingly.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:58 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

@Konish - Can you tell us what serial number your 4PL is? Here in the Philippines we're already at B012. They might be updated already.
Menchifus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menchifus View Post
@Konish - Can you tell us what serial number your 4PL is? Here in the Philippines we're already at B012. They might be updated already.
B010...and for sure the Japanese market radios are not updated. I called Osaka about a month ago and the tech rep didn't even know what I was talking about until he did some research. Even then they said I had "early" info about the update and that it wasn't ready for the JN market update...yet. I laughed..."early" info...don't those guys ever read the internet forums, I mean even on a personal level.

With the given situation in Honshu, I bet this gets delayed another 6 months or so, which is totally justifiable (hell it's justifiable if they never get around to it). I'll probably just send it back to the US for an update which wouldn't be a fast process but it'll be a helluva lot faster than trying to piece back the entire country. Before anyway says it, I'm *not* expecting a country that is in utter collapse to update my freakin' toy like some spoiled brat...just sayin' is all. If i had one wish it would be that the disaster never happened here...

Ain't that some sour grapes though, I bought it from the LHS here in Okinawa thinking that 1) I'll support the LHS and 2) It would have the latest software available as it was just manufactured. My luck that my Japanese Mfr'd radio is updated in the Philippines but not in Japan. It's weird, you'd be surprised how much the Japanese market is unaware of when it comes to some seemingly mundane stuff.

R/
Dustin