Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: rc4wd dig problem.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default rc4wd dig problem.....

not a radio issue.spoke with custumer service and i have it set right.now it going to be a rocker dig problem,but no support thru the maker rc4wd only thru e-mail...yada yada yada.this sucks.this is the 2nd one sent to me and same problem,i have my 3rd channel set as a 3 way position switch now in N both motors turn flip the switch up pos. 1 it engages front motor,turns like it should .flip the switch to pos.3 theres nothing .the rocker does come with a light set up built in. the lights cycle thru correctly like they should. the front dig works great but i have no rear dig,cant even get any type of reading from rear switch of the dig unit .volt meter or a test light. has anyone else come accross this before?
78bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2011, 06:09 PM   #2

I just installed mine tonight and I have the same problem. Would love to know the solution or if its just faulty.
jaseandbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:18 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

What is the percentage travel for that third channel? When I ran electrical dig units, I always turned the travel on my dig channel all the way up (150% or so).
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:37 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Plug a servo (even if it is your steering servo) into CH3 on your receiver. Verify that you get three positions out of it. As was said, you might have to extend the travel on that channel.

Could also try plugging the dig unit into your steering channel and see if you can get three modes out of it by moving the steering wheel. Make sense?

This could help you decide where the problem might be.
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:37 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Installed mine about 3 days ago, same problem. Front dig, four wheel drive, but no rear dig. All the lights on the rocker dig switch are operating properly but no power output when switched to rear dig, I even tried another radio with no luck. I was able to contact them through e-mail, and will be sending it back, kinda sucks because their shipping was very slow the first time, so no telling how long this will take. It is the new rocker dig II BTW.
getbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:58 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

this is bs.i know all my stuff may not be top of the line but all my parts are from the same manufactor RC4WD.so you would think they have put together some of their own parts to see if they work together.the first dig they sent me was version 1 of the digs the 2nd one is version 2,flipped out on the guy on the phone ,how they gonna sell something that has problems and not say anything,till there was a problem then try to blame it on there being a problem with version 1 dig..needless to say ill never buy any of there stuff again....rc4wd and your products/support via email only. what a shame
Old 03-17-2011, 07:25 AM   #7
TEAM MODERATOR

Has anyone in this thread actually tried to adjust endpoints, double check solider joints, try another rear motor or anything else for that matter? Or are you gonna just bash on RC4WD?

Maybe at times their customer service over the phone needs a little help. Y'all ain't the only customers. They do have several team drivers on RCC, maybe they can be more helpful?
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:06 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflection View Post
Has anyone in this thread actually tried to adjust endpoints, double check solider joints, try another rear motor or anything else for that matter? Or are you gonna just bash on RC4WD?

Maybe at times their customer service over the phone needs a little help. Y'all ain't the only customers. They do have several team drivers on RCC, maybe they can be more helpful?
1st off no im not here to bash on rc4wd,pissed maybe not getting any type of customer support.been emailing them for 2 weeks now still no reply so i posted this to get some help. yes epa's have been gone thru.even plugged it in to the steering and i get proper engagement,even swapped the motor and still only power to 1 motor .my aux channel is set up as a 3 position switch pos3(rear motor )pos2 neutral (both motors)pos1 (front motor) epa settings are pos3 -100 pos2 0 pos1 +100 (3 way switch) all solider joints look very nice.no cold joint nothing out the blue looks wrong with it at all.and yes they do need a better customer service via telephone....if anyone has any helpful thoughts would be great but i think all has been done as far as testing it .if they are team drivers from them on here id like to hear from them, that would help too. after 2 wks of dealing with this and no replies wouldnt you be pissed to.it didnt take this long for them to take my money or have a problem with it.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:24 AM   #9
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78bucket View Post
1st off no im not here to bash on rc4wd,pissed maybe not getting any type of customer support.
Good to see you've tried other things. Your post looked like bashing is all. Hopefully someone will chime in.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:36 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

just fustrated....
Old 03-17-2011, 08:37 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78bucket View Post
even plugged it in to the steering and i get proper engagement,even swapped the motor and still only power to 1 motor .
So, you get full throw on each side when you plugged it into the servo? Then it sounds like the dig is working properly. If so, then it sounds like there might be an issue with the motor connection (where it goes into the dig).
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:44 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

For the record, RC4WD has been very helpful and prompt with me as far as e mail communication. Within two days of initiating contact and checking a few things, they have instructed me to send the unit back and that they would send me a new one as soon as I shipped mine. That is pretty darn good service if you ask me. However, their shipping was rather slow, and I am not too terribly impressed with the product obviously.
Heres where I am confused as to whats happening with the dig. Apparently the relays are both good because the 4WD works, if one was bad it wouldnt work at all ( correct me if im wrong ) also the solder joints have to be good to the motor or it wouldnt work at all either. The LED's on the unit switch like they are supposed to as well, just no power to the rear wheels when rear dig only is selected. I did try another radio, and I also adjusted my epa's to see if that would help. Doesn't make much sense to me, so I'll send it back and hope the new one works better.
On a side note, this is my first MOA. How strong should the dig brakes be?? The rear tires still seem to roll pretty easily. I have noticed that in 4WD the rear tires are much harder to turn by hand while the drag brake of the ESC is holding, but when switched to front dig where the dig unit is holding, the wheels roll much easier. Does that sound normal? Or do other units (punk dig) hold pretty strong? Thanks for the help!
Old 03-17-2011, 11:26 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbent View Post
For the record, RC4WD has been very helpful and prompt with me as far as e mail communication. Within two days of initiating contact and checking a few things, they have instructed me to send the unit back and that they would send me a new one as soon as I shipped mine. That is pretty darn good service if you ask me. However, their shipping was rather slow, and I am not too terribly impressed with the product obviously.
Heres where I am confused as to whats happening with the dig. Apparently the relays are both good because the 4WD works, if one was bad it wouldnt work at all ( correct me if im wrong ) also the solder joints have to be good to the motor or it wouldnt work at all either. The LED's on the unit switch like they are supposed to as well, just no power to the rear wheels when rear dig only is selected. I did try another radio, and I also adjusted my epa's to see if that would help. Doesn't make much sense to me, so I'll send it back and hope the new one works better.
On a side note, this is my first MOA. How strong should the dig brakes be?? The rear tires still seem to roll pretty easily. I have noticed that in 4WD the rear tires are much harder to turn by hand while the drag brake of the ESC is holding, but when switched to front dig where the dig unit is holding, the wheels roll much easier. Does that sound normal? Or do other units (punk dig) hold pretty strong? Thanks for the help!
its been 2 weeks since i sent the 1st email , no reply.and as far as sending it back i have and as stated in above post this is the 2nd dig from them that has not worked, so no im not sending it back to get another one ,im not a person who believes in the 3rd one is a charm.if the 1st 2 dont work why try another .id like to be refunded.or even some type of tech advice from them. maybe.and like you i have searched for other digs and yes punkrc.com is the route i will be taking unless this can be resolved.after reading on there dig product it make sence as to why i was finding the rear wheels turning while the front dig was engaged, i did switch some of my setting on my radio (mx3x) to ajust the brake and seems to do better now . still rolls depending on surface. but read up on the punk dig on there site and it will explain better then i can.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:31 PM   #14
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbent View Post
That sounds normal to me. Better motors will hold more in some cases. You can also adjust your gear mesh a little to make it tight or loose. Tight will be less likely to roll.

That's another plus to going dual ESC's. Nomatter what your doing, you can dial the front or rear motors in or out to hold as tight or as loose as you want/need.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:26 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflection View Post
That sounds normal to me. Better motors will hold more in some cases. You can also adjust your gear mesh a little to make it tight or loose. Tight will be less likely to roll.

That's another plus to going dual ESC's. Nomatter what your doing, you can dial the front or rear motors in or out to hold as tight or as loose as you want/need.

Great, thanks for the info!
Old 03-30-2011, 07:38 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Put me in line. I emailed RC4WD and asked if they had fixxed their Dig II problem of No Rear Dig. They emailed me back stating that they had had problems with only a few of their Dig II's. So, I ordered one, I got it today, installed it and ...... No Rear Dig ! Front Dig ... OK. 4WD ... OK, Just NO rear dig ? Dig lights all lite up and seem to be switching and working correctly. I am using a RC4WD XR4 radio. I am using Ch#3 it is a 3 position channel. I emailed RC4WD, so will see what they say to do.
How has everyone else fixxed this situation ?
RC4WD repair or replace ?
"If" replaced, new one work OK ?
Thanks
Smitty
XtrmTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:29 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Don't they test these before they send them out ? Quality control ? Just wondering out loud.
Smitty
Old 04-07-2011, 06:51 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

OK, just got the replacement RC4WD Dig II in and installed it. Same problem, "No Rear Dig" Now what do I do ? This is the second one that has No Rear Dig. Try for the third time's a charm ? Ask for a refund ? I am happy RC4WD responded so quickly and sent another Dig II out so fast, it's just that this one is broken also. I think I will try one more then ask for my money back.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:42 PM   #19
Official Cook of the ECC

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrmTJ View Post
OK, just got the replacement RC4WD Dig II in and installed it. Same problem, "No Rear Dig" Now what do I do ? This is the second one that has No Rear Dig. Try for the third time's a charm ? Ask for a refund ? I am happy RC4WD responded so quickly and sent another Dig II out so fast, it's just that this one is broken also. I think I will try one more then ask for my money back.

I would ask for a refund personally. Way too many problems with their dig units. I hear the dig doesn't put very much brake on the motor as well when they do work.

Go Punk or one of Heyok's units. Never any issues with any of my Punk digs. Haven't had a chance to try the Heyok unit yet.
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:55 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309771
Mr Glassman is offline   Reply With Quote