Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Amp ratings on wire connector/ends

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2011, 11:20 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Amp ratings on wire connector/ends

Ok, I'm sorta new at this but I notice alot of emphasis on using Deans, or bullet or even XT60 and the comments on the high amperage they will carry. Say the XT60 claim to be rated at 60amps. Same with bullets and Deans, etc.

No how can a connector claim to be able to transfer 60amps continues when the 12 or 13 gauge wire used to connect to the battery or motor or ESC is only rated for ~25amps?
Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2011, 11:36 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
Ok, I'm sorta new at this but I notice alot of emphasis on using Deans, or bullet or even XT60 and the comments on the high amperage they will carry. Say the XT60 claim to be rated at 60amps. Same with bullets and Deans, etc.

No how can a connector claim to be able to transfer 60amps continues when the 12 or 13 gauge wire used to connect to the battery or motor or ESC is only rated for ~25amps?
It's called overkill. In this instance those plugs are about the right size to be usable for R/C applications even though they can carry more current than needed. It's desireable to use somewhat overrated items when dealing with electricity.
MonkeyRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:22 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Personally, I use Deans connectors because, unlike other models, they dont loosen up and lose a connection. The amp draw in our application is relatively low and the regular deans are overkill. Some use the Micro Deans on their trucks with great success.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:16 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Has anyone had any experience with the CC bullets? Are they worth the money or are regular bullets good enough. I am just running some bullets I picked up in fleabay.

Wes
brazwewn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:27 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

i have used deans for years and the traxxas connectors for a a few months and now going on a year or so been using the xt60 connectors
cheap
easy to solder to
work AWESOME
stay tight don't come loose but at same time easy to get a grip on and pull apart.
and did i mention cheap lol
discgolferlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

The main reason I ask is I like to use Deutsch connectors for all my wiring unless it comes from the factory with a plug. The are sealed, easy to setup (no soldering) and clip together, however their 2 and 3 pin connectors are only rated to 25amps with a 12 gauge pin which got me to thinking.

The XT60 connectors do look interesting as well.

Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote