Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Hakko 936

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2011, 09:23 PM   #1
Got Worms?

Default Hakko 936

Hey does anyone know how to convert the 908 iron to a 907? I have found a conversion kit for 907 to 908, but i cannot find one that turns a 908 into a 907.

The reason i ask is because i'm now doing surface mount soldering and the smallest tip for a 908 is too big, and i have a couple tips here i bought for a 907 iron, till i realized it won't work.

Anyone know if i can just use the tip enclosure off of a 907 Iron, as its just too big on my 908...

Eventually i plan on getting two irons setup so i can do bigger stuff and tiny stuff side by side, but thats out of my budget right now.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2011, 11:57 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I'm not an expert but I don't think that a conversion from 908 to 907 exists, at least all my googling couldn't find one. I have a 907 if you want any pictures or measurements from it. Another less desirable option would be to buy a knockoff 907 like these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hot-HAKKO-SOLDER...item336396aa24

http://www.lightobject.com/HAKKO-907...ment-P501.aspx

It might hold you over until you can get another station. It's pretty lame that a new iron costs as much as the new FX-888 station.
forbid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:37 AM   #3
Got Worms?

Yea i couldn't find one either, how long is it from the base where it screw area is, up to where it holds the tip on, also whats the od at the base...its called the tip enclosure

Arn't those just the handles?
Old 03-21-2011, 06:13 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Does this help?

Yes those are just the handles, but it looks like they come with the heating element, tip and tip holder ready to plug into the 936 base. I'm not 100% sure but that is whats I assume from the picture.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:07 PM   #5
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbid89 View Post
Does this help?

Yes those are just the handles, but it looks like they come with the heating element, tip and tip holder ready to plug into the 936 base. I'm not 100% sure but that is whats I assume from the picture.
is that od 10mm or what i have is ~14mm everything else measures out the same on mine...i meant the dimensions on the thing that actually holds the tip on as mine is too big, i think the 907 one may be a direct fit
Old 03-21-2011, 08:32 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Here are the dimensions of the tip holder.

Oh and the Outside diameter of the ceramic heating element is ~4mm in case there is a difference.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:30 PM   #7
Got Worms?

it all seems real close, i'll order a new tip holder off eBay once i get a few more $ in paypal and hopefully it works..Thanks for the dimensions, i was a bit skeptical if anyone would have a 907 iron since the rc version 936 all come with 908's, which these irons are nice, i can solder two stacked 12awg wires onto a deans like butter, before it took me hours, and 4 or 5 deans to get it done with my old 40watt $20 weller. BUT now that i'm doing smd stuff for the wantasummit adapters it is a bit tough in a few places. Although i'm starting to get a technique down and soldering 3-4 pins at a time and use solder wick for clean up.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:10 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Glad I could help. I do a huge range of soldering from SMD to RC stuff but I tend to work on smaller electronics so I thought the 907 would be better. If you are going to be doing a large amount of SMD soldering you might look into making some solder masks and using a toaster oven to solder. Here's a little guide.

http://www.openhardware.net/Misc_Stuff/ToasterSMD/

edit: Here is a better breakdown on whats needed for a toaster oven reflow

http://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/60

Last edited by forbid89; 03-21-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:41 PM   #9
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbid89 View Post
Glad I could help. I do a huge range of soldering from SMD to RC stuff but I tend to work on smaller electronics so I thought the 907 would be better. If you are going to be doing a large amount of SMD soldering you might look into making some solder masks and using a toaster oven to solder. Here's a little guide.

http://www.openhardware.net/Misc_Stuff/ToasterSMD/

edit: Here is a better breakdown on whats needed for a toaster oven reflow

http://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/60
yea i've been thinking the hot plate idea/tutorial sparkfun has...but i have no room for equipment that big

But i am going to start putting money towards a hot air rework station, i'm not too sure how much it will help with the actual soldering part, but it be a good tool to have.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:21 AM   #10
RCC Addict

I wish these links would have been posted last week. I let someone(Krawlfreak) use my 936 and it quit working ( he dragged it to 20 comps rolling around in the bottom of his plastic bin like trash, not in the original box like I gave it to him in). I ordered and installed a new heating element and then it would not turn off, only heat until it was glowing red, and now it does nothing. I tried a couple of other irons on my 936 box ( not sure what to call it) and they all do the same thing, turns on but do not heat up. When I turn it off the light flashes for a second but that is it. The irons listed are cheaper than the element I ordered, and might have saved me the $100 I just spent on a new Hakko fx-888.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote