Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Servo Winch Studdering in One Direction

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 07:49 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Servo Winch Studdering in One Direction

Hey y'all,

I have a Hitec 5645 servo winch powered by one of heyok's high voltage winch control units. It's currently running 7.0v, which should be fine for the Hitec motor. The problem is that it studders when rotating in one direction. The other direction is silky smooth. I'm not sure what could cause that. It would seem if it's a bad solder joint or something like that, then both rotation directions would have the problem, not just one.

Here's the only video I have of the problem. Fast forward to the ~2:05 mark and listen closely as the winch un-spools to lower the truck. You can hear the studdering, but you can't really see it in the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_O1v3eYJzI

Anyone have an idea what could cause this?
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

All I can say is drop the voltage down to 6v. 7v seems a little hight for a 5645 IMO.
justinart24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:28 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinart24 View Post
All I can say is drop the voltage down to 6v. 7v seems a little hight for a 5645 IMO.
No kidding? Could the higher voltage cause it to studder in one direction, but work fine in the other? FYI, it does the under load or free wheeling. I don't mind dropping the voltage down if I have to, but I was hoping not to.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:50 AM   #4
Gettin’ back on the horse

Yeah maybe try dropping the voltage down, if it still does it pull it apart check the gears and your solder connections. If you can't find a problem it might just be better to replace the servo and start fresh.
Also watch it when it is moving and see if its snagging on anything...

You don't want it failing during scale nats.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:55 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
Yeah maybe try dropping the voltage down, if it still does it pull it apart check the gears and your solder connections. If you can't find a problem it might just be better to replace the servo and start fresh.
Also watch it when it is moving and see if its snagging on anything...

You don't want it failing during scale nats.
Will do. I'll give the reduced voltage a try. It's definitely not snagging on anything...I made sure to verify that. It's rather odd. I'll drop the voltage first and if that doesn't help, I'll re-solder it. The winch is brand new, BTW. It worked fine before I modified it for servo duty.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:57 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Mine is doing the same thing. I'm running it thru the the RX on 2S. I"m going to take it apart today and try to figure it out.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:07 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I hear you guys - I know the problem is out there and want to solve it. So far I haven't been able to duplicate it with my test winch.

I have a winch servo coming to me in the mail that has this stuttering symptom and will devote some time to getting things fixed up. I will be watching closely to see if I can learn anything from what you guys find.
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:13 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the thoughts, Al. Truth be told, I really don't suspect your controller in any of this. I don't really know what the issue ultimately is, but I'll try a few things and go from there.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:55 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
Hey y'all,

I have a Hitec 5645 servo winch powered by one of heyok's high voltage winch control units. It's currently running 7.0v, which should be fine for the Hitec motor. The problem is that it studders when rotating in one direction. The other direction is silky smooth. I'm not sure what could cause that. It would seem if it's a bad solder joint or something like that, then both rotation directions would have the problem, not just one.

Here's the only video I have of the problem. Fast forward to the ~2:05 mark and listen closely as the winch un-spools to lower the truck. You can hear the studdering, but you can't really see it in the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_O1v3eYJzI

Anyone have an idea what could cause this?
I have been having the same issues Tommy.I have tried a few things to isolate/eliminate certian causes with Als advice. Tried reversing the wires on the motor.reversing servo direction,higher/lower voltages,direct conect to a 9V batt etc...He has been great to work with and I am confident if the issue is infact with the controller he will figure it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyok View Post
I hear you guys - I know the problem is out there and want to solve it. So far I haven't been able to duplicate it with my test winch.

I have a winch servo coming to me in the mail that has this stuttering symptom and will devote some time to getting things fixed up. I will be watching closely to see if I can learn anything from what you guys find.
If you are refering to mine,I sent them yesterday,hopefully you see them soon.I included both a 645 and a JR.Thanks for all your dedication and help.

Last edited by hotwheels000; 03-23-2011 at 05:58 PM.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:35 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Same problem here! I hooked up mine last week in a brand new airtronics ht servo and am having the exact problem! My controller is the original 6v design. One direction butter smooth and the other stu stu stutters.
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:23 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I have had no problems with the 2 original 6v controllers I have.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:40 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

i also want to know this ...
it's a matter of curiousity .. one way ok, the other way not.. thats totally weird
JonehRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:58 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

hey guys..
I got a Hitec 645 servo winch on my rig, but it is not working sometimes(don't know why.....)
I am running 3s Lipo and a BEC(6.3v) and FXR and Hitec 7955(steering servo).
So, do u guys think I need one more BEC for servo winch only?
david_387 is offline   Reply With Quote