Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: RC4WD XR4 4-Channel any good?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default RC4WD XR4 4-Channel any good?

I was wondering if anyone has had any hands on with this radio and know if its any good? Im looking at getting the new spektrum radio but the price on this is lower.
DezertCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2011, 03:51 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

First thing everyone is gonna tell you is to "Search", there are a few threads on this radio on here. I am a Noob also and I just got this radio. I like it cos it will teach me how to use mutible channels, how to set up a digi radio, and how to use exp. There are no epa's on ch 3 & 4, so I am going to use a servo streacher for my rear sterring. After I get alot more practise, and learn alot more about this RC stuff, I will get one that will alow me to mix and use dual esc's and all that high speed cool stuff. For a beginer, this is a good starter radio.
Smitty
XtrmTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:08 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

They will also tell you to go with spectrum....just start looking at costs of receivers. I have the XR4 and like it...will put it to the tests tommorrow when we go trail ridin.

ohh and the XR4 is a 4 channel, the spectrum new one is 3....depends on what you want to do with it.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:18 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

While I don't have the xr4, I have the now discontinued Big Offroader radio that uses the orange rx's. So as far as connectivity and range is concerned, not an issue to speak of. Sometimes even better than Spek stuff that others run with me. Also nice is the sorta large batt compartment that with some trimming can hold an 1800 3s pack.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:16 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Trail rode for about 4 hours today, and the XR4 worked great. 4AA's would last for the entire time and the range is pretty astounding...say 150 feet...had to try it.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Here is one of the threads concerning this radio:

RC4WD XR4 w/ receiver (review & impressions)

As you can see, there are always drawbacks to going with a cheaper radio. You really need to decide what functionality you want to get out of your radio gear, and whether or not you are willing to compromise it. One thing I wish I had done a long time ago was learn to invest in good radios. I just recently went ahead and got a Futaba 4PL. I cannot tell you how much I love this thing. I know it may be a little bit more coin, but in the long run you will be happy you did, especially if you are going to use it in an MOA application.
zjguy721 is offline   Reply With Quote