Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Need 10T puller help!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 09:01 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Need 10T puller help!!!

Hey guys. I have a motor question for you. I have a scx10 scaler that weighs 6.5 lbs. I am running a stock axial tranny with a 87tooth spur and 18tooth pinion. It is coupled to a GCM t-case, 1:1 ratio.

I had a firebolt 15T motor fram a Blitz that I was running with a 2s lipo and it had great wheelspeed but not good dragbrake.

I purchased a HH 10T cobalt puller motor to put in this to get more speed, better torque, and better dragbrake.

I changed the pinion to a 14tooth and left the stock spur gear. The 14tooth pinion was recommended by JRH in a different thread. I also put a 3s lipo pack in it.

My problem is, it doesn't have near as much wheelspeed as it did before. I'm stumped. Can anyone think of something I am forgetting? I really expected a bigger difference than what I'm seeing. The drag brack is much better, but the wheelspeed is way off, from what I'm seeing and have looked up.

I left everything the same other than what I stated above.

I'm hoping it is just a bonehead thing that I'm overlooking. Thanks for the help.

Dan
cavie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2011, 09:06 PM   #2
www.team3sixrc.com

well I would try and change your spur to pinion set up. just keep experimenting until you get to what you want with out burning up the motor , battery or speedo.
It sounds like your in the right place. The Puller is more along the lines of what it says it is. a power horse motor built for torque and power. Speed is really not the main design, but dont get me wrong. geared right it can be good. maybe try a 4S instead.

what kind of speed are you looking for??

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie98 View Post
Hey guys. I have a motor question for you. I have a scx10 scaler that weighs 6.5 lbs. I am running a stock axial tranny with a 87tooth spur and 18tooth pinion. It is coupled to a GCM t-case, 1:1 ratio.

I had a firebolt 15T motor fram a Blitz that I was running with a 2s lipo and it had great wheelspeed but not good dragbrake.

I purchased a HH 10T cobalt puller motor to put in this to get more speed, better torque, and better dragbrake.

I changed the pinion to a 14tooth and left the stock spur gear. The 14tooth pinion was recommended by JRH in a different thread. I also put a 3s lipo pack in it.

My problem is, it doesn't have near as much wheelspeed as it did before. I'm stumped. Can anyone think of something I am forgetting? I really expected a bigger difference than what I'm seeing. The drag brack is much better, but the wheelspeed is way off, from what I'm seeing and have looked up.

I left everything the same other than what I stated above.

I'm hoping it is just a bonehead thing that I'm overlooking. Thanks for the help.

Dan
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:22 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Just something a little nit more than it had before. Witht he 15T motor i had to walk pretty fast to keep up. With the 10T puller I can walk at a fairly normal pace and it just barely gets away from me.

Am I expecting more wheelspeed than it is supposed to have?

I just maybe thought it would have more.

As far as the 4s, it says it is only rated for 2s-3s. I'm not sure it would be a good idea to do that, idk? If JRH chimes in and says it will handle it no prob, then I may go that route.

When we go scaling, we go for quite a while so I don't want to over work the motor. I usually take 2 4000mah 2s batteties with me. 1 in the truck and 1 spare.

Thanks for the input.

Dan
Old 03-30-2011, 09:25 PM   #4
www.team3sixrc.com

You might be quite right. I thought some people had pushed 4S through therm.
what ESC are you running?

Quote:
Just something a little nit more than it had before. Witht he 15T motor i had to walk pretty fast to keep up. With the 10T puller I can walk at a fairly normal pace and it just barely gets away from me.

Am I expecting more wheelspeed than it is supposed to have?

I just maybe thought it would have more.

As far as the 4s, it says it is only rated for 2s-3s. I'm not sure it would be a good idea to do that, idk? If JRH chimes in and says it will handle it no prob, then I may go that route.

When we go scaling, we go for quite a while so I don't want to over work the motor. I usually take 2 4000mah 2s batteties with me. 1 in the truck and 1 spare.

Thanks for the input.

Dan
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:33 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

CC Sidewinder with CC bec. It has incredible torque as you said. I already stripped 1 spur and am pretty close to doing it again.

Well I'll try again in the morning. Thanks for the help.

Dan
Old 03-30-2011, 09:35 PM   #6
Official Cook of the ECC

Up the pinion and see how you like it. Just watch the motor temps.
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:39 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Yeah, I thought about trying that. I was also thinking about changing the spur to a HR spur and hopefully it won't strip quite as fast.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:09 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

The Lipo that you're running will make a difference as well....what's the C rating on your pack?

From Johns site:

Recommended lipo battery-

6t- 2s only. 40a continuous
7t- 2 to 3s (3s may result in overheating). 45a continous 11.1v, use 35a continuous 7.4v use
10t- 2 to 3s. 40 amps continuous 11.1v use, 30 amps continuous for 7.4v.
14t- 3 to 6s. 35a continuous 22.2v use, 25a continuous 3s use

6t- TBD
7t - 2800 rpm/volt
10t- 1800 rpm/volt
14t- TBD

Just as an example, in my 8 pound Yota I'm running an Integy V11 35T with stock 14/87 gearing on a Thunder Power G4 45C 2250mAH 3 cell. At full clamp I have to run to keep up with it. C ratings do make a difference.
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:37 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepyCrawl View Post
The Lipo that you're running will make a difference as well....what's the C rating on your pack?

From Johns site:

Recommended lipo battery-

6t- 2s only. 40a continuous
7t- 2 to 3s (3s may result in overheating). 45a continous 11.1v, use 35a continuous 7.4v use
10t- 2 to 3s. 40 amps continuous 11.1v use, 30 amps continuous for 7.4v.
14t- 3 to 6s. 35a continuous 22.2v use, 25a continuous 3s use

Just as an example, in my 8 pound Yota I'm running an Integy V11 35T with stock 14/87 gearing on a Thunder Power G4 45C 2250mAH 3 cell. At full clamp I have to run to keep up with it. C ratings do make a difference.

You make a good point. I didn't think about the C rating. Both 3s batteries I'm using are 25C rated. I may need to get another battery.

Thanks for the help.

Dan
Old 03-31-2011, 09:10 AM   #10
Suck it up!

I hadn't seen it mentioned yet, but the wind counts on Pullers are not equal to typical 540's.

The 15t Blitz motor was probably somewhere in the 2500+ kv range, while the 10t Puller is rated at 1800kv. You'd have to step up to the 6 or 7 turn Puller to have similar motor speed with the same amount of voltage.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:16 AM   #11
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
I hadn't seen it mentioned yet, but the wind counts on Pullers are not equal to typical 540's.

The 15t Blitz motor was probably somewhere in the 2500+ kv range, while the 10t Puller is rated at 1800kv. You'd have to step up to the 6 or 7 turn Puller to have similar motor speed with the same amount of voltage.
This is it. It isn't like a normal 540 in the winds, that is why I list Kv's for motors on my site.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:31 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

I got it. So basically, the puller is going to be a ton stronger but may not be as fast as the 15T blitz. I understand. Next I guess I'll have to order a 7T. But I tell ya, I love this motor. The drag brake is great and it is strong.

Thanks to everyone for the input and for the help. It makes better sense now.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:56 PM   #13
Suck it up!

Quote:
I got it. So basically, the puller is going to be a ton stronger...
Thats an understatement.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:38 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I just ordered a 7t puller to go in Rock Rod, my TTC scaler. I started running 6s with a 55t Torquemaster....Very powerful, but way too wicked on brushes and commutators. The 7t on 3s ought to be the ticket.
Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:12 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

One question....My current 6s lipo to a 55t HH Handwound....Will it be more or less powerful than the 7t Puller motor on 3s 35c/ 70c burst? Debating my axle selection as it is using Axial CVD's with music wire pins that work well, but I am contemplating selling a new set of SDS axles because I got the Axials to work.......HELP!
Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote