Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: xr 10 electronics problems "scratching my head here"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 11:58 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default xr 10 electronics problems "scratching my head here"

So I'm running a castle sv2 esc and punk dig, brood 45t motors, 5 minutes into a pack I lost all forward movement suddenly. Dig unit still switches power to front, rear, all, but I only have reverse, and it is alot slower than it was, I can continuously hold reverse while the wheels are spinning, ( slower than they used to) and then the wheels just slowly stop turning like the battery is dead. I have tried two different fully charged brand new batteries, same results. Nothing is binding or getting hot, when I squeeze the trigger the esc led turns from yellow to green indicating it's getting a forward signal, I have looked for broken wires or shorts, none found. I will contact castle tomorrow to run the scenario by them. Just pretty confused about what is going on with my system.
bikerj08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2011, 10:18 AM   #2
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Sounds like you may have a fet driver problem. Castle will be the best resource.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:18 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Sounds like you may have a fet driver problem. Castle will be the best resource.
I spoke with castle this morning, told them the symptoms, the the tech support guy thought it might be the motors, I have a castle sct controller as well, so as much as i don't want to un solder everything I think I will have to if I want to narrow down my issue. I noticed there have been about 60 views to my thread and only one reply, I think I got a good one.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:33 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

well i just got the castle sct controller soldered in, drove it around the garage and it seems fine. Looks like I will be sending the sv2 in for repair. Had to send my hi tec 7954 servo in last week for repair. I cant win right now, this was a brand new build, six runs total, broken gears, fried servo and controller Oh well.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:27 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

now the sct controller is thermaling, fml, talked to castle this morning, will be sending in both controllers now. I'm pretty fed up with this hobby at this point.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:21 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Are you running an external BEC? Or just the stock internal one in the ESC?

You running 2S or 3S lipo's?

If there is an issue of thermalling with the 2nd esc then it sounds like you have a binding issue in your drive line. Maybe the pinions are set to tight.

Try the same test with the wheels off the ground for a few minutes and see if it is still getting hot. This will at least tell you if you have a bind issue and might save having to send both esc's back.
SuperRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:11 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRoo View Post
Are you running an external BEC? Or just the stock internal one in the ESC?

You running 2S or 3S lipo's?

If there is an issue of thermalling with the 2nd esc then it sounds like you have a binding issue in your drive line. Maybe the pinions are set to tight.

Try the same test with the wheels off the ground for a few minutes and see if it is still getting hot. This will at least tell you if you have a bind issue and might save having to send both esc's back.
yep running 10 amp cc bec, 3s lipo, already checked pinions and drive train binding, none, the sct controller was being used in a blitz sc truck, the first time I used it it thermaled, I had to go back to stock gearing and run the fan over the controller. At the time I thought it was the low quality battery, (2s turnigy) now I know with it thermaling on my crawler there is an issue with it as well. And yes running it with the wheels off the ground does not result in thermaling but there is also no load on the system so I don't see why it would thermal, so anyways, thanks for the suggestions.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:45 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

sent both the sv2 and sct controllers back to castle, talked to them today and both were defective and are being replaced with new units when they come in, in a few weeks. Yikes, two brand new controllers from castle defective, quality control issues or just bad luck
Old 04-12-2011, 09:19 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Dude your r/c luck sounds identical to mine right now. I replaced motors then burned up stock esc then reciever started glitching and then my battery effed up. It all happened one right after another and thats only one crawler, the other two were falling apart at the same time....I was about to burn all of them. I talked to castle today about my Sv2 shorting out when I floor it and we think it's because i used a tamiya connector and there isn't enough current passing through it. Geeze I hope it goes away when I put a deans ultra on, I am so tired of trouble shooting brand new $hit!!!
It usually runs fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:40 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by It usually runs fine View Post
. I talked to castle today about my Sv2 shorting out when I floor it and we think it's because i used a tamiya connector and there isn't enough current passing through it. Geeze I hope it goes away when I put a deans ultra on,
Ummm....a better term would be "browning out", NOT shorting out.

Tamiya connectors are fine for toys, not really good for anything else. They may work OK for a while, but plugging/unplugging them loosens them up. Then they get hot a time or two and it gets bad real fast.
You should be happy with the Deans.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:05 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

i'm actually a little worried I might not be able to control myself if something else goes wrong when I get it all back together I might smash it so I don't have to deal with it