Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: LED's coming soon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2011, 05:29 PM   #1
Got Worms?

Default LED's coming soon

Well i was searching for LED's that were real bright and had a nice wide beam of light for a scaler i'm wiring up. I couldn't find what i wanted in low quantity and less than $1 a piece so after talking to a LED supplier, looks like i'm going to have abunch LED's along with a line of accessories for them.

Current LED's i will carry is

5mm 20,000 mcd White LED with a 180* beam (Head Lights)

5mm (undecided mcd) Ultra Bright Red LED w/ Wide Beam (Back Up Lights)

5mm (Undecided mcd) regular diffused Red (tail Lights)

I'm still looking at 3mm options and pricing

LED Accessories are still pending, however i'm looking into

LED holders, both budget and quality

receiver actuated switches (micro sized, about the size of a dime plugs into rx, handles 3 amps of power)

Resistors for 6v, 7.2v and 12v battery sources

Lipo Taps- Pull power from your lipo balance tap, from any lipo size/cell count

Wire-probably 26 awg, same as servo wire

Currently i'm getting price qoutes and negotiating with bulk LED suppliers. I'm attempting to get a small order of samples so i can decided on which led's to carry, mostly which red ones i want, and 3mm options. Hopefully in 2-4 weeks i'll have a few hundred of the White led's and samples of others

Let me know what you guys think, more feedback i have i'll be more willing to reach father down in my pockets and make it happen sooner. I guess this would be considered a FEELER thread, but if you want to know prices please visit OverkillRC.com for the latests prices and details on the LED's i'll be carrying.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2011, 05:32 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Sounds good. Like the idea of powering from balancing plug.
tklatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:29 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

A 5mm, 20 candella LED would be blindingly bright!
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:33 PM   #4
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
A 5mm, 20 candella LED would be blindingly bright!
at 180* beam angle as well.

Night crawling is now a reality
Old 04-19-2011, 11:03 PM   #5
Got Worms?

Alright looks like most of my accessories line up will be a go, as time progress i'll start stocking them. On of the first will be my black magic resistors which i'll have out once i have all led's stocked. More info to come

Power taps are still pending, still unsure how these will be made...so far its looking like all hand crimped terminals... original idea behind these were to run your 7.2 servo from a 3s lipo. So it be a BECE (Battery eliminator circuit eliminator) lol
Old 04-22-2011, 02:05 PM   #6
Got Worms?

Ok so it looks like the backup lights (bright red) will be 5000 mcd w/ a 180* viewing angle

The tail lights/dim red lights will be 3400 w/ 30* view angle

I may also carry other colors, yellow (3800mcd), green(8500mcd), and orange(1700mcd) will be the in the normal led category (cheaper) may also carry these and other colors in the bright category aswell if i get requests
Old 04-27-2011, 12:46 PM   #7
Got Worms?

Well i have 100 20000 mcd white led's on the way, hopefully they are what i expect they are.

I'll get all sorts of pics posted up, should be ready to ship in a week, although 6v resistors won't be here till my next mouser or digi-key order, 2-4 weeks...i will have 12 volt resistors though
Old 05-04-2011, 11:09 PM   #8
Got Worms?

Ok so i played a little bit with camera setting, and here's what i got, most accurate to what i seen.

So while it was dark and i was taking the pictures, from the camera lcd this picture looked most accurate

BUT, once i uploaded them to my computer screen, this one seems more accurate, a touch brighter but not much

Now i took this picture as well to help show beam angle, in one of those cheap, black plastick holders.

Now because of the flat top, nothing extruded past the holder, SO the view angle was decreased, as you can see, the clear plastic is was mounted in was lit up brightly.

On the pics above, its brightness is somewhere in the middle, it will just depended on your computer screen. BUT this is ONE LED 3 inches above the ground. lighting up my whole hallway...pretty intense,
Old 05-04-2011, 11:15 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post

receiver actuated switches (micro sized, about the size of a dime plugs into rx, handles 3 amps of power)

Lipo Taps- Pull power from your lipo balance tap, from any lipo size/cell count
Im interested in these.
jays68yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:33 AM   #10
RCC Addict

I would be interested for my scalers and night driving. My 4 year old wants to drive in the dark and I know this would excite him. My problem was always finding an LED with a wide beam which it looks like you have there.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:38 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for doing the research on this, losikid. I do most of my crawling at night after my son goes down, and I've been looking into lighting systems. I'll definitely be watching this space for more details on LEDs.
pixelnate is offline   Reply With Quote