Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Proporional dig confusion?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2011, 06:30 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Proporional dig confusion?

I'm a little confused about dig setups, seeing that i've never gotten my hands dirty with them. I'm going to make some statements or questions about different proportional options. Please chime in and correct me or confirm anything I say so I can go from there and make my decision. (btw this is all referncing moa setups)

For proportional dig you can either try route:

A--2 ESCs with 3 CH, 3 pos radio capable of channel mixing and changing proporions

B--1 ESC and digital dig with radio as mentioned above? Dont some digital dig units have the proportional settings w/in the dig?

BTW i prefer to go with route B but would still like to know about both options. And i plan on getting Spektrum DX3C.

Thanks in advance for any help!
crawlHTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2011, 06:45 PM   #2
Got Worms?

You can get proportional dig through a radio mix or if a radio don't have that type of mixing abilities you'd have to go with an rx side mixer

Radios that can do proportional dig w/ a mix is a dx3c, 4pl, 4pk, i think the nomadio and possibly the 3pk

If a radio doesn't have this mixing ability you can use a wantAmix which will be on your rx side. Dependent on the radio you can have just dig, or dig and proportional control with dual esc's.

its impossible to have proportional without dual esc's
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
Its impossible to have proportional without dual esc's
+1.
With a single ESC, there is no way to "vary" (AKA proportional) the power to the motors on each axle.
Your choices are:
Full to both motors
Full to front motor, nothing to rear motor
Full to rear motor, nothing to front motor

As to the "nothing", it may be "no power", or "shorted power" (better option) to "lock" one axle.

I will be doing a 3ch radio (Futaba 3PM-x), 2 ESC's & a WannaMix to control 2 ESC's with a 3ch radio. Currently I have a single ESC and a servo dig.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:58 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post

its impossible to have proportional without dual esc's
Novak m2

One ESC
Don't need a "mixing" tx to run it
My brother is running m2 and likes it, only down side that I seen is the drag brake is not as good as a dual esc setup

I have a 4pl, dual mamba micro pros in my Moonbuggy and I love them!

Last edited by Slowbro; 04-19-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:36 PM   #5
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowbro View Post
Novak m2

One ESC
My brother is running m2 and likes it, only down side that I seen is the drag brake is not as good as a dual esc setup

oops sorry i forgot about the m2
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:00 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Ok, thanks for the info. I'll prob just mod a servo now for dig and get dx3c radio until I can afford to run dual ESCs for proportional.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:47 PM   #7
RCC Addict

The 3PK/S can do full proportional with dual ESCs.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:51 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowbro View Post
Novak m2

One ESC

Some people may disagree about that one...Most people I have talked to that are using it say that the proportioning is just about useless.

With the newer less expensive radio options with the mixing capabilities and the wantAmix I dont see a reason to go with the M2. It wouldnt cost much more to go dual esc's and you end up with something much better.

I was hoping the M2 would be everything everyone thought it would be, I have one sitting here that I was going to put in my backup rig but I havent done it because of all the horrible reviews.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:27 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

What are some of you running for dual ESCs?
Old 04-20-2011, 07:30 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Ethan, I have had great results with the Castle Creations Mamba Micro Pros in my berg. They have great drag brake and never get hot running 3S with my 35T motors...and as you know, that truck has plenty of wheel speed.

BTW, if you need, I have a castle link and would be happy to program and castle stuff for you if you dont feel like purchasing the link.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:38 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Ethan, I have had great results with the Castle Creations Mamba Micro Pros in my berg. They have great drag brake and never get hot running 3S with my 35T motors...and as you know, that truck has plenty of wheel speed.

BTW, if you need, I have a castle link and would be happy to program and castle stuff for you if you dont feel like purchasing the link.
That's what I'm running too, awesome setup
Old 04-20-2011, 10:46 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Jeremy, CC markets those for 1/18th scale systems, but by looking at the specs I don't see why they shouldn't fit 1/10th scale needs (and I know they work well for you). Also, I assume you can program these for brushed motors?
Old 04-20-2011, 11:23 AM   #13
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

People are being way too hard on the M2. I know that they had their issues with the first release but Novak definitely stepped up & made things right. I actually switched from dual FXR's to the M2. I can have the clod stall I want with my DX3R & have no need to spend a dime on a new 4 channel. The clod stall works killer guys. I'm sure most guys will have a different opinion & think I'm a little ass backwards switchin from duals to the M2 but I crawl around 15 hours a week & have put the wheel time in & did the research. This is MY personal preference & experiences. Doesn't mean it's whats right...just what I like. Way too many cats have condemned the M2 without the experience to back it up.
HARDKNOCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:37 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlHTX View Post
Jeremy, CC markets those for 1/18th scale systems, but by looking at the specs I don't see why they shouldn't fit 1/10th scale needs (and I know they work well for you). Also, I assume you can program these for brushed motors?
You got it.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Keep in mind that CC markets them for high powered brushless 18th scale systems. If you check the peak and continuous amp ratings, you are well within the safe zone of the Micro Pro. Now if you try running a low turn high powered brushed motor on 3s there will be issues, but with 35t and greater, it isn't a problem. The main thing is that the FETs are rated for it which they are.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:58 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDKNOCKZ View Post
People are being way too hard on the M2. I know that they had their issues with the first release but Novak definitely stepped up & made things right. I actually switched from dual FXR's to the M2. I can have the clod stall I want with my DX3R & have no need to spend a dime on a new 4 channel. The clod stall works killer guys. I'm sure most guys will have a different opinion & think I'm a little ass backwards switchin from duals to the M2 but I crawl around 15 hours a week & have put the wheel time in & did the research. This is MY personal preference & experiences. Doesn't mean it's whats right...just what I like. Way too many cats have condemned the M2 without the experience to back it up.
I agree, I personally haven't run it but my brother has had his for a year or so with little to no problems. Would I switch to it?....prob not, but if I already had it, I would defiantly use it.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:14 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

I third that, now Propro mode isn't what we are used to... it starts feeding power at a specific throttle position (depending on where you set your pot) vs just throwing less voltage to the other motor from the start, it takea bit of getting used to, however workable.

The only time the Rear wheels move even a bit while in dig is on extremely high traction surfaces (shingles on the roof, or asphalt) and only when I'm pulling full speed (I'm running 35T 3S in an XR10 ) Hill hold is exactly that, I could be darn near on a cliff and it will hold it. I think that has more to do with motor selection than anything... There is a reason the motors that come with the M2 are only 15 bux, it's so they can go into my boy's AX10
ducatidesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:26 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

I run 25T HH Torquemaster Pro's with Mamba Micro Pros in my XR10 on 3S & have not had one single issue, they hardly even get warm to the touch.
If I was to do it all over again I would go with 35T motors just because I had to gear my truck way down to compensate for the motors, the stock 14T pinion was just crazy fast.

My buddy had the Novak M2, He had nothing but problems with it and the people at Novak didn't put any effort into trying to help him so he told him he wanted a refund. He ended up getting his money back for what he had invested in Novak products and then bought dual Mamba Micro Pros, He actually ended up saving money by going with the Micros.

I got my Mamba Micro Pros for $125 shipped from Allerc.com & my 4PL for $214 shipped, well worth the money!! Save up your $$$ and do it right the first time
BFGcrawler418 is offline   Reply With Quote