Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Hitec HS645MG For Axial SCX10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2011, 06:16 AM   #1

Exclamation Hitec HS645MG For Axial SCX10

Hey Guys,

Had My SCX10 Honcho RTR Since September 2010 now and took it down the park just to get out. went through the dried out creek and my servo started acting up. it would turn to the right and not to the left and later left and not right. Then the old axial servo gave up and just died. I picked the truck up and had a look at the steering nuckles to see if anything was caugght, nothing, then I checked the horn or arm. nothing. twisted the wheels and there was no tourque at all. So i looked at getting the Hitec HS645MG servo. perfectly happy with it. (ill order it later) but I dont want to use those awfull plastic arms. i have had a good long look around for some metal arms. nothing. Im sure many people would be happy with plastic. But when I take the SCX10 on a trail, there seems to be alot of tight trails were my wheels are forced into each other like a \ / shape i think under that pressure it wont hold it. so tell me guys, what metal servo arm fits the SCX10 ?
Lexar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2011, 06:31 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

The 5645MG includes a blue aluminum horn but the mounting holes for the arm need to be enlarged to accept M3 hardware.

I've been using the Losi Comp horn on my scaler with the Hand Bros. CMS kit.

If you plan on keeping your sevo mounted on the axle though, I'd suggest something a bit more stout like the Racers Edge or Robitronic clamp style, both of which are tapped for M3.

Losi:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=LOSA99038

Racers Edge:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Hard-Anodized

Robi:

http://www.tcscrawlers.com/Robitroni...R-p-18136.html
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:59 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I've had a Racer's Edge on my 5645 for a while now and no complaints!
zjguy721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:35 AM   #4
Jus
I wanna be Dave

If your servo is staying on the axle.. Beware that the big clunky clamp on aluminum horns like the Racers Edge and the other one that was mentioned don't fit without interference.. The horn hits the frame crossmember on suspension uptravel. The low profile alum horn that CreepyCrawl mentioned will work, as that's what I'm using on my Honcho.

Personally, with a somewhat mild servo like the 645MG I'd be more worried about the internal gears getting trashed.. The Axial plastic horn is pretty stout IMO.. I've never broken one, but I have messed up three sets of servo gears..
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:28 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
Personally, with a somewhat mild servo like the 645MG I'd be more worried about the internal gears getting trashed.. The Axial plastic horn is pretty stout IMO.. I've never broken one, but I have messed up three sets of servo gears..
X2
They're not an all metal geared servo and you will occasionally strip a gear, which isn't a huge problem since replacement gearsets are usually pretty cheap. Nonetheless, it is annoying and at least in a non-comp rig, I have no qualms with running a plastic horn. It soaks up the hits a bit more than a metal horn, which transmits any hits straight to the gearset. This is also why I haven't upgraded my steering links either. Although, all of that will change when I go into upgrading mine to a TTC rig.
Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:53 AM   #6

Wink

Nope, I guess we are all good. I went to take my server apart and I was like "my server horn is so loose" it was so loose that it wasnt gripping. so all the gears were turning but the arm wasnt tight enough to feel it.
Lexar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:20 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

That's an easy fix, provided the output splines & horn are not stripped.

Was the screw loose, or is it too long so it's bottoming out before getting the horn tight?
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:16 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I just built an SCX kit with a Hitec 645mg and a Robitronic's horn. I had very minor clearance issues with the frame crossmember, nothing that a little dremel action couldn't take care of. I literally removed less than a millimeter across a section of the crossmember and it all clears just fine now.

I had a 645mg last a year in my AX-10 with a metal horn so I figure it should last much longer with the smaller 1.9's on it.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:13 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

yeah I think this is a fairly common servo, I'm running it. Also had clearance issues, easy fix. So far so good...
Shane
RCram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:03 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

He was saying his wheels looked V shaped, do you still have the plastic RTR links? Thats your weakness.
Stangrocka is offline   Reply With Quote