Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: electronics package?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2011, 01:30 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default electronics package?

I'm still new to RC's and was curious if any of the hobby stores/sites did any packaged deals of electronics? I have searched a few of them and haven't seen anything.

I'm thinking some slightly upgraded electronics for the SCX10 kits. SOmething that's a little better then the RTR stuff, but would be easier to buy then trying to figure out what individual components to purchase.

If they don't, it seems there are soo many options out there, that it's hard to figure out what works with what and all that.

Does anyone know of a package bundle that includes ESC, Servo, Motor, Radio, Reciever, etc.?
pike2350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2011, 01:56 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Some shops will offer things like that, some don't. Depends on your local hobby shop.

Internet forums are a great place to ask questions about figuring things like that out as well, so you're in the right place.
kmnss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:59 PM   #3
Jus
I wanna be Dave

I think you don't see it much because there is an endless possibility of combinations and it's all about personal preference and what the user wants and needs ect..
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:00 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Good idea is to look over this electronics forum as well as the rig specific one.

Typical questions are:
-What will you use the rig for?? Comps or fun?
-What is your price range?
-What rig (I'm assuming SCX10?)
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:04 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Good idea is to look over this electronics forum as well as the rig specific one.

Typical questions are:
-What will you use the rig for?? Comps or fun?
-What is your price range?
-What rig (I'm assuming SCX10?)

I guess those do play into it.

I would use it for fun....I've been enjoying looking at alot of the scale stuff, but still want to be able to crawl.

The price range is tricky. I like the idea of the kit, because I've heard you end up upgrading most eletronics anyway....plus it's cheaper with a few of the upgraded parts.

I've been trying to read up on what othersare using...and because there are so many options it almost becomes overwhelming...hence why I thought a slight upgrade package would be cool.

I have noticed CKRCcrawlers has different packages, for the kits....maybe I need to study those kits a little more.

There are just SO many things out there, it can be overwhelming...even reading and searching it can be a bit much.

Side note question...what is "dig" I hear it and have gotten different answers from people (mostly some newbie RC guys)
Old 04-21-2011, 09:27 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Since there are so many different ways to set things up and so many different wants and needs for different aspects of the hobby, on top of what people are willing to pay, it would be nearly impossible to have a setup for everyone. There is a reason that the included electronics are usually not "top of the line". That's because the stock electronics are mainly there for the truck to be functional for the buyer that is just starting out in the hobby, not for the more experienced hobbyist that probably already has a radio they like, a brushless combo they prefer, etc... Case in point, the Losi Nightcrawler. It comes in either ready to run or bind n drive versions, aside from the differences in color, the only other difference is the bind n drive has no transmitter while the rtr does. The price difference is only $25-$30 as well, so there is a clue as to the cost of the included radio...

Oh, and Dig is the ability to lock up one axle from rotating while the other end still drives, very useful for really tight turns or to help line the truck up for the next obstacle without using reverse.
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:46 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pike2350 View Post
Does anyone know of a package bundle that includes ESC, Servo, Motor, Radio, Reciever, etc.?
If you are looking for suggestions, I'll start a list:

ESC/Motor: Tekin FXR ESC / 35 Turn motor combo
Servo: Hitec HS-5645MG
Radio/Receiver: Spektrum DX3E
BEC: Castle Creations 10A adjustable BEC
wantAsummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:45 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantAsummit View Post
If you are looking for suggestions, I'll start a list:

ESC/Motor: Tekin FXR ESC / 35 Turn motor combo
Servo: Hitec HS-5645MG
Radio/Receiver: Spektrum DX3E
BEC: Castle Creations 10A adjustable BEC
Thanks for the suggestions.

I priced those out through both RPP, CKRC and RC4WD (well what I could find on all the sites) They come out to ~ $275 for the electronics. Add this to the Honcho kit of ~$230...that puts the start up for it at $505. That's not with a battery.

I guess maybe it's better to start with the RTR kit and just upgrade as you need to....at least you get to enjoy it with less investment right off the bat. I figure if I were to order the Dingo RTR, I'd be ~$270 for the truck + $75 for battery and charger. That's $160 less.....which, while I know the electronics aren't as good, it's less upfront investment, but I'd still get to enjoy it and can upgrade as things break.

Any other suggestions on a starting package that may not be as expensive? I don't mind paying more upfront, but I am thinking no more then a total upfront investment of $400.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:46 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

You make some great points. It does seem that going with the RTR would make the most sense for you. The electronics are really not that bad now that it comes with a 2.4GHz radio and the new programmable ESC. Then your upgrades could go toward the truck rather than towards the electronics. Maybe a BEC sooner than later, maybe a motor to suite your needs after a bit, and the same with the servo.
wantAsummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:55 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantAsummit View Post
You make some great points. It does seem that going with the RTR would make the most sense for you. The electronics are really not that bad now that it comes with a 2.4GHz radio and the new programmable ESC. Then your upgrades could go toward the truck rather than towards the electronics. Maybe a BEC sooner than later, maybe a motor to suite your needs after a bit, and the same with the servo.
heard the axial rtr electronics are superb now
bwm8142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:05 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Ive been into r/c for a long time now...racing and crawling but IMO the TR would suit you well. I personally just bought a Honcho TR w/the 2.4 radio, AE-2 esc & servo and 27T motor... honestly, Im impressed with it all in all considering I got it bnib for $280 shipped. The electronics arent too bad at all. The radio is a cheap HobbyKing special but who cares? I used the money I saved over building the kit to upgrade tires etc...
M109R is offline   Reply With Quote