Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: AE-2...Waterproof?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2011, 02:23 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default AE-2...Waterproof?

Hey guys, I just got my Honcho TR with the 2.4, AE-2 ESC and AE-2 servo....I did a search but didnt find what I was after which is; Is the servo and ESC waterproof from the factory? They show a Wraith RTR with the same gear going through water/snow so I'm assuming they're waterproof but I dont have the balls to attempt it until I know lol. I just dont wanna smoke a brand new setup.
M109R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

No they are definitely not waterproof, you will have to waterproof both the servo and ESC yourself.
forbid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:49 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I was affraid of that lol. Plasti-dip and marine grease...here I come! Ya'll know if the balloon method will make the esc get too hot? I've heard of some people using the balloon but man...I'm leary on that. I've also seen some plastic boxes being used so that may be the route I go....
Old 04-23-2011, 08:31 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

If I ever make a scaler I will be doing the epoxy mold method myself.
It usually runs fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:45 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by M109R View Post
I was affraid of that lol. Plasti-dip and marine grease...here I come! Ya'll know if the balloon method will make the esc get too hot? I've heard of some people using the balloon but man...I'm leary on that. I've also seen some plastic boxes being used so that may be the route I go....
If you do the balloon method, you want to make sure and be geared correctly. One thing is, with the balloon method you retain your warranty, if you put dielectric grease, plastidip, expoxy, or anything else permanent or semipermanent on the board or ESC the warranty is void.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 01:51 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I havnt quite decided yet, but I have a xl-5 and titan 12t in my daughters slash so I may just swap everything around. Shes only 5 so the 27T will....ok...should be plenty for her. I ran my stock setuo today and ran through water...so far so good. Dont get me wrong, I didnt flat out toss my truck in a pool but I did submerge it quite a few times with no issues. I still wanna make sure Im 100% waterproof in case I decide to do something really dumb....
Old 04-25-2011, 01:37 PM   #7
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

They will run underwater actually. But if you hit the water when the ESC is hot it will destroy it.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote