Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: micro esc's & a punk?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2011, 02:18 PM   #1
TSK
Shelf queen

Default micro esc's & a punk?

I've decided to try my hand at an moa build and have a question on esc setups.

I have a Punk Dig on it's way, and an Mamba Max Pro that was laying around. Being that the MMP is so huge, I thought I'd get some insight on the micro esc's (sidewinder micro, mamba micro, tekin b1r).

I see that numerous members are successfully running all of the listed esc's in dual esc setups, but haven't seen anyone using a single micro esc with a punk dig.

I'm pretty sure it's possible, but i want to know if it is reliable? I plan on running 3s with motors ranging between 35-45 turns (ideally i want to trysomething like a 37t or 40t)

Any of you have successfully run a similar setup?
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2011, 02:29 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I'd say the sidewinder micro would be out for sure, and the mamba micro would be out as well, but more likely to survive than the sidewinder simply due to having the heat sink. The B1R would be out as well. I run dual mamba micros in my berg and my xr10. I have always run 45t motors in the XR10 with 3S 40C 1000mah packs without any issues and little to no noticeable heat from the esc's. I recently installed 35t motors using the same batteries in my berg and after a full pack both esc's are warm to hot-ish to the touch. It's not enough to make me worry about them although I wouldn't run them for several packs without letting them cool between packs. When I first called Castle to ask for information on the mamba micro they seemed to think that they would be fine in a dual esc setup on an MOA, but they didn't seem to want to talk too much about the idea of running two 35-45t motors off of a single esc.

If you're just looking for the size...just run an FXR...it's in the same size range as the micros but you have to account for the external capacitor.
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittybitty View Post
I'd say the sidewinder micro would be out for sure, and the mamba micro would be out as well, but more likely to survive than the sidewinder simply due to having the heat sink. The B1R would be out as well. I run dual mamba micros in my berg and my xr10. I have always run 45t motors in the XR10 with 3S 40C 1000mah packs without any issues and little to no noticeable heat from the esc's. I recently installed 35t motors using the same batteries in my berg and after a full pack both esc's are warm to hot-ish to the touch. It's not enough to make me worry about them although I wouldn't run them for several packs without letting them cool between packs. When I first called Castle to ask for information on the mamba micro they seemed to think that they would be fine in a dual esc setup on an MOA, but they didn't seem to want to talk too much about the idea of running two 35-45t motors off of a single esc.

If you're just looking for the size...just run an FXR...it's in the same size range as the micros but you have to account for the external capacitor.
That's the bad news i didn't want to hear

Mostly like because i'm feeling like a cheap ass

Micro esc = >$60
fxr = <$80

Do you think i should run the big 1000 uf cap with the fxr?
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:31 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I ran a single CC MM with a servo dig, worked well with dual 40T motors.
Just swapped to dual ESC's & a WannAmix.

Don't know how the micro's would work with dual motors though.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote