Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Options for Overheating (Smoking!) Motors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2011, 10:01 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

There is no reason a motor should get that hot in a crawler......if its too hot to touch, then something else is wrong. Since you have tried multiple motors, we can pretty much guarantee its not the motor.........gearing, esc, or more than likely binding in the drive train....

And for the love of god, quit breaking in motors with water. 99.9% of you don't know what yer doing and just goober up the motor. There is to more to it than just dip in water, hook up to power, regardless of what some nitwit on youtube tries to show you. The last of the water break in guys were the tamiya silver can racers, and even they don't do it anymore............same with the slot car guys.

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2011, 10:09 AM   #22
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
There is no reason a motor should get that hot in a crawler......if its too hot to touch, then something else is wrong. Since you have tried multiple motors, we can pretty much guarantee its not the motor.........gearing, esc, or more than likely binding in the drive train....

And for the love of god, quit breaking in motors with water. 99.9% of you don't know what yer doing and just goober up the motor. There is to more to it than just dip in water, hook up to power, regardless of what some nitwit on youtube tries to show you. The last of the water break in guys were the tamiya silver can racers, and even they don't do it anymore............same with the slot car guys.

Later EddieO
My money is on gearing and airflow. My gearing is already as low as you can go on a CC01 without installing a GRU.

Secondly, the motor is almost completely insulated within the chassis:

I'd say less than 25% of the motors surface area is exposed to the air- the rest is covered by thick plastic.. I'm interested to see what a motor heat sink and fan can do.

I should've said that I have broken in the motors before, but not all of them. I wasn't able to tell a difference between the RC4WD motor I broke in with water and the RC4WD motor that I didn't break in.
.bg. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:29 AM   #23
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Gearing is a problem on those rigs. Moreso for 27t motors and the like.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:44 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

IS that your truck or just a sample photo?

Being insulated should not cause the heating problems you are having.....a fan and heatsink will not hurt, but I don't think they will cure the problem.

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:04 PM   #25
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
And for the love of god, quit breaking in motors with water. 99.9% of you don't know what yer doing

Everyone needs a Fussybrush and a lathe.

Fussybrush the new brushes, dry break in, comm cut and clean, dry break in again.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote