Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Just ordered Tekin fx-r crawler 35t combo/Question.?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2011, 11:45 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Just ordered Tekin fx-r crawler 35t combo/Question.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotie View Post
i went with the FXR it is awsome just make sure you run a external BEC the built in one is only 3amp and heats up fast when running 3s lipo

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliot330 View Post
Hi All,

Just recieved my FXR and liking how small it is... however either I am being thick or the Tekin website is misleading?

On their website it states that the FX-R has 7 onboard thottle profiles, but reading the instruction manual, LED5 only sets up the reverse type, not the throttle type.

I have mailed the support desk, but as many have said on here, no reply and unlikely to receive one. (not tekin Bashing, but slightly disappointed)

Can anyone with an FX-R confirm that I am not being an idiot, please!

Do I need to purchase the hotwire interface, will this definitley allow me to access the throttle profiles on the FX-R?

Thanks
Elliot
Quote:
Originally Posted by The CrAwLL BLACK View Post
Hey Elliot,
Welcome to RCC.
Taken from the Tekin manual:
LED5: THROTTLE PROFILES (FX/FX PRO ONLY) 1) Mildest profile, concave (LED1 ON) 2) Mild profile, concave (LED1-LED2 ON) 3) Linear profile (LED1-LED3 ON) 4) Aggressive profile convex (LED1-LED4 ON) 5) More aggressive profile, convex (LED1-LED5 ON) 6)Custom— User Selectable Using Tekin HotWire PC Con-nection (LED1-LED6 ON)*
Throtle Profiles are only available on the FX or the FX Pro. *Not the FX-R.
FX-R only has:
LED5: BRAKE/REVERSE TYPE (FXR/FXR PRO ONLY) 1) Proportional Brake with Reverse Lockout (LED1 ON). Proportional brake will be applied during reverse throttle. 2)Forward to Immediate Reverse (LED1-2 ON). The car will operate freely in forward and reverse and will change direc-tion IMMEDIATELY. ADJUSTMENT MODES CONT... 3) Proportional Brake with Reverse Delay (LED1-3 ON). The car will only go in reverse if the trigger has been in neutral for 1 second, otherwise it operates like propor- tional brake with no reverse.*
Cheers,
Mike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kooter View Post
I would recommend getting the hotwire. *I have one and it really allows fine tuning to your FXR. *I'm not sure how many profiles there are but I know of at least 4 available through the hotwire.
Ok so let's just say I done plently of research & I'm having some issues understanding some RC talk lol, I'm slightly new to this whole Rc Crawling theme & I heard good reviews from this tekin set up.

Here are my questions*

A BEC, what's a BEC & what's the perpose of having one.? Will I need one.?

Also some guys are talking about a HotWire, again what's the perpose of having one, & will I need one.?

I'll be using the electronics that came with a traxxis slash witch I believe is With TQ 2.4GHz radio system, Power Cell battery, and charger & the reciever that comes with it.*

Will this tekin combo work with these electronics.?*

I know guys I appologies for the dumb Noob questions.?

Some guys are talking about having difficult time programing this ESC, as far as 5 different throttle to choose from idk if this makes any sence bare with me pls, but is their such thing as this question,, what throttle channel is the best for crawling.?

Also if & when I do decide to go lipo, will I need lipo cut off aswell.?*

Any info will be appreciated thanks guys
toyotaexo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2011, 11:55 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Also forgot to mention, running the 7.2 battery that comes with the slash give me any twitching or any trouble getting the esc to hot.? Or this battery isn't powerful enough for this set up.? Thanks again
Old 05-27-2011, 12:07 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotaexo88 View Post
Here are my questions*

A BEC, what's a BEC & what's the perpose of having one.? Will I need one.?

Also some guys are talking about a HotWire, again what's the perpose of having one, & will I need one.?

I'll be using the electronics that came with a traxxis slash witch I believe is With TQ 2.4GHz radio system, Power Cell battery, and charger & the reciever that comes with it.*

Will this tekin combo work with these electronics.?*
BEC = Battery Eliminator Circuit. There is one in most ESC's (speed controls) but they have limits on the power they can supply. Most of us use the Castle Creations 10amp BEC wired from the battery wires direct to the steering servo...... http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CEsQ8wIwAA##
It should be programmed with a Castle Link (programming cable) .... http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CFgQ8wIwAQ##.

Hotwire is a programming cable & software for programming Tekin ESC's.... http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=tekin+hotwire&cp=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1419&bih=694&wrapid=tljp1306476184031012&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=6866607729292131899&sa=X&ei=oj7fTa3dCYzrgQeGt9jiCg&sqi=2&ved=0CDYQ8wIwAw##

My guess would be, yes, the FX-r would work with the rest of the electronics.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:14 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
BEC = Battery Eliminator Circuit. There is one in most ESC's (speed controls) but they have limits on the power they can supply. Most of us use the Castle Creations 10amp BEC wired from the battery wires direct to the steering servo...... http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CEsQ8wIwAA##
It should be programmed with a Castle Link (programming cable) .... http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CFgQ8wIwAQ##.

Hotwire is a programming cable & software for programming Tekin ESC's.... http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=tekin+hotwire&cp=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1419&bih=694&wrapid=tljp1306476184031012&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=6866607729292131899&sa=X&ei=oj7fTa3dCYzrgQeGt9jiCg&sqi=2&ved=0CDYQ8wIwAw##

I had a feeling you would chime in

Yes most any and all electronics will work with each other, but only to each's capibilities

to answer your question on lipo cut off, no you do not need one, read the instruction, they are very informative. the FX-R has a built in one but you will need to program it to either 2 cell or 3 cell, all of which you can do from the button/ button's located on the unit itself.
khwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:07 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by khwilliams View Post
I had a feeling you would chime in
Hopefully that's a good thing??
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:16 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Hopefully that's a good thing??
yes sir
khwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:31 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

As far as needing a Hotwire, no you won't need one. Almost all of the configuration settings can be adjusted using the two buttons on the FXR itself.
The only one that can't be set via the buttons is the throttle profiles. I wanted to change those, so I bought a Hotwire.

The throttle profiles change how rapidly the speed control responds to throttle trigger movement. Default is a linear slope.
I personally like the profile that responds slowly at first for better low speed control, and then ramps up quickly.

I don't know why Tekin doesn't allow the throttle curves to be programmed without a Hotwire. Rather annoying if you ask me.

The short answer is: No, you don't need a Hotwire.
dmcchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:43 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Thanks for the info bud, I ordered from RCP hobby can't wait to install*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcchaser View Post
As far as needing a Hotwire, no you won't need one. Almost all of the configuration settings can be adjusted using the two buttons on the FXR itself.*
The only one that can't be set via the buttons is the throttle profiles. I wanted to change those, so I bought a Hotwire.*

The throttle profiles change how rapidly the speed control responds to throttle trigger movement. Default is a linear slope.*
I personally like the profile that responds slowly at first for better low speed control, and then ramps up quickly.*

I don't know why Tekin doesn't allow the throttle curves to be programmed without a Hotwire. Rather annoying if you ask me.*

The short answer is: No, you don't need a Hotwire.
I know I don't have this ESC yet, but can't wait to receive it from RCP, holiday weekend makes waiting a bit longer :(*

Thanks for the info bud, one more question. The throttle features it comes can you tell me a lil more as far as what will all the features give me, I kinda like that feature you said, start out slow with torque then throttle thru with wheel speed
Old 05-27-2011, 07:07 AM   #9
RCC Addict

The Throttle Profiles of FXR differs from the FX (forward only) in that you have only three choices; 1 propo brake no reverse, 2 immediate reverse (which is what we use), and 3 reverse delay.

I don't remember seeing any throttle profiles other than those even using the Hotwire. Now if you have a Tekin RS there is a throttle profile function using the Hotwire only and the buttons only change the timing profiles.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:17 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

On the FXR you can choose from Forward and Reverse with delay, Forward and instant Reverse (best for crawlers), and Race, which is no reverse. These can be selected using the buttons on the FXR itself.

If you want to change the throttle profile/curve you will need the Hotwire.
The stock throttle curve is linear and very similar to the throttle curve in the stock Axial or Traxxas speed controls, but much smoother.

Here's a picture from the manual, I drew over the default throttle curve in red.
#1 which is the line closest to the bottom is what I use. but I am running a 3s lipo at 11.1 volts, so my rig is punchy. With your stick pack the default profile should be fine.
Attached Images

dmcchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:12 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Yeah, with the Hotwire you can adjust the throttle profile and set the LVC at a higher voltage.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:14 PM   #12
RCC Addict

OK, here's my input if it matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotaexo88 View Post
Ok so let's just say I done plently of research & I'm having some issues understanding some RC talk lol, I'm slightly new to this whole Rc Crawling theme & I heard good reviews from this tekin set up.

Here are my questions*

A BEC, what's a BEC & what's the perpose of having one.? Will I need one.?>BEC = Battery Eliminator Circuit, most ESC's have them built in, but they do not supply enough amperage to properly power today's High Voltage servo in crawling applications. I recommend the Castle 10A BEC.

Also some guys are talking about a HotWire, again what's the perpose of having one, & will I need one.?>No, you do not NEED one. It is handy to have one, but the programming features you need can be done with the buttons on the unit itself.

Will this tekin combo work with these electronics.?*>Yes, It will work fine.

I know guys I appologies for the dumb Noob questions.?>No such thing as a dumb question, unless you don't ask!

Some guys are talking about having difficult time programing this ESC, as far as 5 different throttle to choose from idk if this makes any sence bare with me pls, but is their such thing as this question,, what throttle channel is the best for crawling.?>Setting in RED below is best for crawling.

LED5: BRAKE/REVERSE TYPE (FXR/FXR PRO ONLY)
1) Proportional Brake with Reverse Lockout (LED1 ON). Proportional brake will be applied during reverse throttle.
2)Forward to Immediate Reverse (LED1-2 ON). The car will operate freely in forward and reverse and will change direction IMMEDIATELY.

3) Proportional Brake with Reverse Delay (LED1-3 ON). The car will only go in reverse if the trigger has been in neutral for 1 second, otherwise it operates like proportional brake with no reverse.

Also if & when I do decide to go lipo, will I need lipo cut off aswell.?*>Lipo cut-off is built into the FXR, you can choose between 2s and 3s, for custom settings you will need the Hotwire to access.

Any info will be appreciated thanks guys
Any more questions, just ask away!

Last edited by PaloAltoK5; 05-27-2011 at 12:18 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar
PaloAltoK5 is offline   Reply With Quote