Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: What brushes for motor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2011, 10:06 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default What brushes for motor

The brushes in my integy 35t are shot. I have never changed brushes in motors before so I don't know what brushes I should get. Can I get any brand or type? What would be good ones to get? also should I change the springs at the same time or is it ok to use the old ones?
spdyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2011, 10:49 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

You will have to figure out if they are standups or laydowns, as I have seen integys with both...........a standup will be taller than it is wide, while a laydown is wider than tall....

Springs only need to be replaced if they got hot or if they are rusty (seems to happen a lot with crawlers)....

You will need to cut the comm too, as putting new brushes on a worn comm is a bad idea.

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdyracer View Post
The brushes in my integy 35t are shot. I have never changed brushes in motors before so I don't know what brushes I should get. Can I get any brand or type? What would be good ones to get? also should I change the springs at the same time or is it ok to use the old ones?
\

Here you go bud, watch this rebuilt video this should make things simple for you. i did this and my motor runs perfect, i use a 35t Trinity in my scaler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjCLS...el_video_title
Nitroguy360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:10 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I am sorry, but that is a TERRIBLE way to rebuild your motor......sand paper on the comm is a BAD idea......comm oil? There isn't anything called comm oil that I have ever seen in 20+ years of racing.............comm drops sure, but that is flat out OIL...........oil on the comm is a BAD idea.

If you want to make your motor last less than it should, then follow the instructions in that video.....if you want to do it right, find someone with a lathe and do it the right way.

Later EddieO
Old 05-30-2011, 11:16 AM   #5
MODERATOR™

I was gonna say sandpaper!

I love this stuff.

I've never seen an Integy with a laydown hood. Ever.

If Eddie can't help you with brushes you can get some from Tower: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUR13&P=7

Or Holmes Hobbies...
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:27 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I have brushes, but whenever I post my site link it gets deleted most of the time.....

Integy motors with laydowns do exist, though they are fairly rare.....

I just watched that video a second time......god the guy is the biggest idiot. Tells you to put oil on the comm, but then suggests water break in? Is break in really needed with used brushes? I mean sure, 30 seconds or so to reseat them, but that's not breaking them in....

He goes on to show how dumb he is, doesn't even know what a timing ring is called.....and he leaves it on in the motor and completely unscrews the endbell....

The funny part to all of this, is in the time it would take you to cut the sandpaper, get a drill, etc etc.....you could of just cut the comm the right way....pretty much any hobby shop still has a lathe....

Sorry to the original poster to hijack your thread....

Later EddieO
Old 05-30-2011, 11:35 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Noticed. So much easier to just loosen the end bell screws and put a little twist on it all pull the ring out attached.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
He goes on to show how dumb he is, doesn't even know what a timing ring is called.....and he leaves it on in the motor and completely unscrews the endbell....
TEDROCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:39 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

The scary part is if you look, you can see he made the comm out of round.....its clearly coned after he does it.

I love how he claims you know its round cause he used a sharpie!

I am off the mariners game.....gonna stop and pick up some sandpaper for comms............

Oh, BTW.....new Limited goes up tonight.....SWEETNESS!

Later EddieO
Old 05-30-2011, 11:44 AM   #9
MODERATOR™

I couldn't watch anymore as soon as he turned on the drill.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:10 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
I couldn't watch anymore as soon as he turned on the drill.
To bad you did not scroll down to his break-in how to!
TEDROCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:29 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitroguy360 View Post
\

Here you go bud, watch this rebuilt video this should make things simple for you. i did this and my motor runs perfect, i use a 35t Trinity in my scaler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjCLS...el_video_title
It's really a shame that people use youtube as an encyclopedia now days. I really loved how he marked orientation on a tab that is gonna move when he takes the endbell screws loose and the can sticker... Bet this guy has a room full of trophies too. The fancy intro was nice
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:43 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

The intro is the highlight of the video...

Later EddieO
Old 05-30-2011, 12:51 PM   #13
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by killswitch View Post
now days.
Uh, it's nowadays. One word.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIxC-...e_gdata_player

Sorry, I'm straying off topic.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:03 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Wow...."nightmare" is a fitting name...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:36 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by killswitch View Post
It's really a shame that people use youtube as an encyclopedia now days.
But....but.....it's on the Internet, so it MUST be true.......just ask Al Gore......:l mao:
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:48 PM   #16
Jus
I wanna be Dave

My question is relevant to this discussion so I need to ask.

Why is it bad to replace brushes and do nothing to the comm??

Hate to tell ya Eddie but there's no way that *most* hobby shops still have lathes... I don't know who else I might speak for but there is no hobby shop anywhere near me that has this capability, not even one that carries a motor that'd work in a crawler.. A few don't know what a flippin' rock crawler even is

So again I seriously would like to know how necessary this is.. Especially for a $20 Integy lathe motor that the OP has and that many people run.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:07 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

You must live in egypt then.........A few months back, I called every hobby shop in western washington, I think all but 2 had a lathe.....I guess I would be concerned if they didn't have a 540 motor that is the standard for all RC cars and will work in a crawler......

Finding a lathe is not hard either...........I see them for sale DAILY on rctech, hobbytalk, etc for next to nothing. Crap, even integy is blowing out brand new ones for less than $50....

Not cutting the comm and adding new brushes is bad news. The comm is nasty at that point, especially if it never saw any maintenance. You basically are putting a new surface against a terrible surface. The brushes will break in bad and they will wear unevenly, which will make brush bounce even worse.

$20 lathe motor or not.........there is a right way to do things and a wrong way. You can keep doing it WRONG..........and buy more $20 motors more often......or do it right and have motors that last longer and perform better. Also a good habit to get into if you move up to handwound motors that set you back $60+ each....keep in mind too, you could buy rebuildable stock motors for about $20 too back in the day if you shopped around.......and we rebuilt those things every run most of the time........why? Because it was the best way to get the best performance out them.

Later EddieO
Old 05-30-2011, 10:26 PM   #18
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
I am sorry, but that is a TERRIBLE way to rebuild your motor......
Ha! That was uploaded by RCNightmare...anybody remember where we know that name from?
New! Axial Wraith 4WD Rock Racer Review

I wonder how many motors have been ruined due to that vid...

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 05-30-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:45 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

I could not help myself, so I posted this on his youtube video

"This is honestly one of the worst ways you can rebuild a brushed motor. Sandpaper in a drill is bad news and will lead to an uneven comm, which will cause premature brushwear. It also doesn't provide the correct surface for optimal performance. Comm oil? Bad news to be using any type of OIL on the brushes, but then water break in is suggested as an option? WIll there be any oil left? Very little break in is needed if you are not replacing the brushes....sorry, this is just BAD advice to people"

He just responded with this

"couldn't disagree more..when you have rebuilt as many motors sucessfully as we have then write a long winded comment like this...all the best...no one way to do any one thing...please stick to ur own preferred methods out there should you want to..."

After I was able to stop laughing.......literally, my wife had to ask why I was laughing so hard....I typed this for him. I can't wait to see his response.

"Yeah, I am gonna venture to say I've rebuilt a tad more motors than you have.....try in the 1000s bud. Google Team Brood Racing before you assume you have rebuilt any where near as motors as I or my company have. 30+ national titles from biggest races in the worlds, along with over 20,000 motors sold. So, before you attempt to talk smack, please know who you are talking to. There is CLEARLY a wrong way to do things, and this is one of them. There is nothing right about it."

This guy is clearly a tool.....rebuilt more motors than me.......funny stuff.

Later EddieO
Old 05-30-2011, 10:47 PM   #20
Suck it up!

I had to say something too. These guys are clearly their own biggest fans.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote