Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: dead servo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2006, 11:57 PM   #1

Default dead servo

Hey, all. First of all I wanna say this is a cool site and I've been following it for a while. Now I finally joined up.

I have a JR 9000MG servo up front and JR 4800MG out back. The front has worked awesome, but today when I was crawling hard, it got pretty hot and quit working. Took it apart, gears are fine, but I think I smoked the motor. So I put my spare JR 4800MG up front and it doesn't have the balls the 9000 had, not even close!

Rather than trying to stress the 4800, I was looking at Hitec 5955, it has a super high torque rating, but I have no experience with them. I know people are running them, but has anybody out there smoked one yet?? Just trying to get a feel for the product. Oh, and my servos are straight to the receiver, and then to the ESC. Is this sufficient for sustained power while crawling. Opinions/comments welcomed. Thanks

Will

Last edited by lockednloaded; 04-29-2006 at 12:01 AM.
lockednloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2006, 09:46 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockednloaded
Hey, all. First of all I wanna say this is a cool site and I've been following it for a while. Now I finally joined up.

Rather than trying to stress the 4800, I was looking at Hitec 5955, it has a super high torque rating, but I have no experience with them. I know people are running them, but has anybody out there smoked one yet?? Just trying to get a feel for the product. Oh, and my servos are straight to the receiver, and then to the ESC. Is this sufficient for sustained power while crawling. Opinions/comments welcomed. Thanks

Will
Welcome to the site. This is a good thread about the Hitec TG's:

titanium servos

What ESC are you running? Depending on the ESC's BEC rating, you may need to power the servo off of a regulator or tap into 5 of you sub C batteries.

I love my Hitec 5995, I can't wait until I can afford another one or two. I've been running it in the front of my super class clod for a couple months. I run it off of a Novak Servo Regulator (puts out 6volt/3amps) and it hasn't given me any problems.
SVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 10:00 AM   #3

i have a super rooster.. thanks for the advice. i just learned about EPA, so I'm looking at another radio so I can control EPA. I think that may be why I smoked the servo. It got REALLY hot. But I checked my linkage and there is no binding in the steering or the knuckles to speak of, so that part is OK.

edit: do you think the SR can supply enough current for 1 servo??.... (I have my rear steer locked out for now. It caused more problems than it helped).

Will

Last edited by lockednloaded; 04-29-2006 at 10:03 AM.
lockednloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 10:56 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockednloaded
edit: do you think the SR can supply enough current for 1 servo??.... (I have my rear steer locked out for now. It caused more problems than it helped).

Will
Yes the SR will handle 1 servo no problem. It is one of the few ESC's that has a high BEC rating and can supply power to 2 servos.

I use a JR XR3 radio. It has 3 channels, is digital, FM, has EPA, trottle and steering trim, steering rate adjustment, and a grip mounted 3 position rocker switch to control the 3rd channel. Pretty easy to use and you can find them for about $100 or less used.
SVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 11:05 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Yes EPA (end point adjustment) is very important to the life of your servo. If your servo can never travel to its own stop and is always forced to stop by something else that limits it then it will get hot and won't last long at all in most cases. What you can do if you have a radio without EPA is make this adjustment by how long your servo horn is. The longer your servo horn is the longer the travel will be. The shorter the servo horn is the shorter the travel will be.
insanerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 11:55 AM   #6
MODERHATER™

I love my 5955! I would run it on a seperate receiver pack if i was you to get the full effect!
666 is offline   Reply With Quote