Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Castle link will not hook up right?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2011, 10:51 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Castle link will not hook up right?

I played with this for an hour last night trying to program my Sidewinder SV2. I hooked it all up just like it said and it always shows that Red box saying the Device is not connected. I downloaded the newest version of the Castle link the V3.40 after previously having the V3.27, I wired in my BEC to it and cut the red wire on the RX plug like it said. I had this problem on my previous Original Side Winder too. It also won't connect to none of my CC BEC's. Im not sure what Im doing wrong or whats not working right. Its just frustrating and I've got a GTG in 2 days I need to get to.
country_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

What device is the red wire snipped from?

What OS are you running?

You get the green box for the link device?
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:58 AM   #3
mrG
RCC Addict

The red wire needs to be connected for the castle link.
mrG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:09 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrG View Post
The red wire needs to be connected for the castle link.
No it doesn't actually. But if you have the red wire disconnected you will need to provide power from a battery pack to power up the ESC (the USB would usually provide power, but since the red wire is disconnected it can't). Just plug in the battery you use to run the Sidewinder with normally, and the CastleLink will recognize it.

I have the same setup of Sidewinder V2 with CC BEC and this method works fine for me. I forgot if you have to connect to CastleLink then power up the ESC, or power up the ESC first then connect. If one way doesn't work try the other.

Last edited by simplechamp; 06-30-2011 at 11:14 AM.
simplechamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:17 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplechamp View Post
No it doesn't actually. But if you have the red wire disconnected you will need to provide power from a battery pack to power up the ESC (the USB would usually provide power, but since the red wire is disconnected it can't). Just plug in the battery you use to run the Sidewinder with normally, and the CastleLink will recognize it.

I have the same setup of Sidewinder V2 with CC BEC and this method works fine for me. I forgot if you have to connect to CastleLink then power up the ESC, or power up the ESC first then connect. If one way doesn't work try the other.
That's correct. I believe Castle calls is a "Current Flow Issue". When you have a BEC wired in, the USB can't supply enough current.
Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:21 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

With the red wire disconnected from the RX cable the circuit that would power the ESC through the USB cable is an open circuit, no current flow at all.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:31 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplechamp View Post

I tried that and it would not go. maybe Im doing it in the wrong order but Im pretty sure that I did it in all the different ways. But does anybody know which way It actually goes or a step by step direction?
Old 06-30-2011, 11:39 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Are you plugging it in correctly? The Darkest wire is (-), red in the middle (+), and lightest wire is the ohm symbol (Ω).
Old 06-30-2011, 11:45 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimp View Post
Are you plugging it in correctly? The Darkest wire is (-), red in the middle (+), and lightest wire is the ohm symbol (Ω).

I tried that. The castle link is still shining the red light, and Its still got the red box saying the Device is not connected?

I tried it that time USB in PC, Hooked the castle link, and then a battery to the ESC.

The battery's good as the BEC has the Green light shining from it indicating its got power to it
Old 06-30-2011, 11:46 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Never mind I got it. I feel like a NOOB. I didn't turn the ESC on.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:49 AM   #11
RCC Addict

lol glad you figured it out. I don't run on/off switches, didn't even think about it lol.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:09 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Go ahead and delete that switch, sooner or later a rock will find it's way to the switch and shut you down in the middle of a run. You don't need it anyway as you always have to unplug the pack with a BEC.

And never "cut" a wire, just lift the tab with a knife blade, pull the wire out and tape/shrink it folded back over the other wires. Personally I leave the red wire and power BEC straight to servo to keep the Rx board from passing so many amps.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:32 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by country_crawler View Post
Never mind I got it. I feel like a NOOB. I didn't turn the ESC on.
Happens to the best of us! It's an understandable mistake since usually you wouldn't have to turn the switch on to use the CastleLink. But since you are bringing power in from the battery leads instead of RX cable you need to have the switch in the on position.