Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: ESC & motor choices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2011, 11:08 AM   #1

Default ESC & motor choices

I am new to crawling but not to RC and just ordered my first crawler, a SCX10. I have a CC mamba max pro ESC and a traxxas brushless 3500 motor and was wondering if this would work for my SCX10. I have the castle link to adjust the esc. I will mainly be playing at my house, building my own obstacles and climbing on dirt piles.

Last edited by CMaD; 07-05-2011 at 07:05 PM.
CMaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2011, 12:01 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Great ESC, not so great motor if you want smooth low end. I run 13.5 (3300kv) in my SCX, nearly the same speed and still very smooth on 2s, 3s is smooth but startup speed is high. Something around a 17.5 is ideal for 3s, but stick to Sensored motors for crawling if you run brushless. I ran a outlaw (heavy advanced timing) 27t before the 13.5 and the brushless motor was smoother, stronger and faster with much less heat, both geared 13/87.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana mudcat View Post
Great ESC, not so great motor if you want smooth low end. I run 13.5 (3300kv) in my SCX, nearly the same speed and still very smooth on 2s, 3s is smooth but startup speed is high. Something around a 17.5 is ideal for 3s, but stick to Sensored motors for crawling if you run brushless. I ran a outlaw (heavy advanced timing) 27t before the 13.5 and the brushless motor was smoother, stronger and faster with much less heat, both geared 13/87.
that's some good advice mudcat. im torn between the new wraith or the scx myself.

what are your recommendations for a ESC that i can use for either crawler?
Sixohh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixohh View Post
that's some good advice mudcat. im torn between the new wraith or the scx myself.

what are your recommendations for a ESC that i can use for either crawler?
Is this Marcus? The Mamba Max Pro (and the one cell version with a CC BEC almost all of us use anyways) is the top do-all ESC on the market and handles brushed and both brushless styles just fine. For a brushed setup the Holmes Hobbies BRXL is top dog and can be bought already waterproofed (and if your Marcus it's gonna see mud and water). Other quality brushed options are Castle Sidewinders, the OG Mamba Max and Tekin FXR. The BRXL and Sidewinders share the same case with the AE-2 ESC that comes in the RTR's so they fit in the stock mounts really nice.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:48 PM   #5

yep, its me! i thought your screen name looked familar!

im new to crawlers but i am hooked so i might need a tour guide

all this is spanish to me and yes it needs to be waterproof!

i need to learn more so i can make a choice!
Sixohh is offline   Reply With Quote