Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: esc shutting off need help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2011, 09:44 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default esc shutting off need help

Okay heres a rundown of the simple things im running. Hobbico servo, traxxas velineon motor and esc, traxxas 4 channel rx boxed in waterproof traxxas box. The problem is when im in a tight turn lets say two front wheels are turned and its pretty tight the esc with shut off and turn red. I will have power to the servo but not the motor and esc. Could this be the servo or teh esc shutting down to protect itself or protecting the truck to make sure it wont break anything. I dont know whats wrong but with normal trailing it just does fine no problems at all even if i play long so overheating it not a problem.
bro_die is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2011, 10:01 PM   #2
RCC Addict

It sounds like your servo is drawing enough power to starve out the speed control. You may need to run a battery eliminator circuit (BEC). Castle Creations makes a good one for about $20. Use the search function for more info on them .
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:01 PM   #3
RCC Addict

You need a CC BEC, when the servo works hard it draws to much from the ESC shutting it down. You'll also need to use a castlelink to set the voltage or buy it from somewhere that will do it for you, I know Holmes will do it and pretty sure RPP or TCS will also, maybe even your LHS.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:04 PM   #4
RCC Addict

The red light is for thermal shutdown and low voltage shutoff. If your sure it's not a heat issue then the load is causing the low volt to trip. Depending on your servo and battery you may need a BEC or a new/better battery.

Edit:
Slow Typer lol

Last edited by SINister; 07-06-2011 at 10:06 PM.
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:29 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

If he still has steering, I doubt he is overdrawing the battery power since the RX is usually the 1st to shut down.
Not always, but usually.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:38 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

buddy had this issue. Sharp steering would kill power from ESC to motor. Just get a external BEC and you will be good to go.
Rok Krawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:15 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

HAAAA! thank you all for the fast reply. I was thinking that was causing the problem BUT I have no knowledge about BEC's so I had to ask.
Its not thermal shutdown because I tried this one time when I made it rest for a good 3 hours (made sure its not hot) ran it to a tight spot turned the wheels and sure thing it stopped again. Itll usually stop when i try to steer my wheels at those tight spot but if I drive striaght forward it does fine. Thanks all for those replies. For this BEC all I need to do is connect the servo to bec and bec to esc right? Im totally new to this wiring thing I cant even solder hehehha . thanks
Old 07-07-2011, 08:12 AM   #8
RCC Addict

If you have a radio that you can adjust your endpoints with that might help. I always think a BEC is a good idea, but if you are bottoming out the servo that could cause a large amp draw. I would try that first.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:51 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Im just using the traxxas 2.4 4 channel radio. How do I pick the right bec for my app? any suggestions and also I foudn this video on youtube on installing the bec. Is this the same process as installing it in my honcho? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nioiYlk0Td4

Last edited by bro_die; 07-07-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:56 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I did some trailing today and noticed that when I run a 2s lipo it doesnt die out BUT when running 3s thats when it dies out. Any reason why it does this?
Old 07-09-2011, 03:17 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Get the Castle Creations BEC that is what everyone means by CC BEC. I had the same issues and it fixed it instantly. There are different ways to install it but with that servo all you do is plug the cc bec into your rx somewhere open and remove the red/power wire from your esc harness and you will be good to go
PowerCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:26 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

yes a external bec will fix your issues. the reason you dont have problems with 2s like you do with 3s is because when you increase the voltage going to the esc the esc's internal bec will still put out the same voltage but the amps go down noticably
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:48 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys for all the help. Purchased a CC BEC today hooked it on and next thing you know it doesnt shut down anymore. Is there any other way of wiring this up. I see alot of diagrams BUT as I said im not an electronics guy I cant even solder. HAH