Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: DX3S Issues AGAIN!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 06:56 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default DX3S Issues AGAIN!

Something is definitely up with my DX3S. Has anyone been experiencing similar issues? This thing is only maybe about a year and half old.

First off there's been an on going problem of the trim settings. When I move the throttle trim forward it will actually set the trim backward. Then another issue is if I mess with the steering trim it won't go left if I set the right trim too far.

The only way out of this mess is to reset the current model which pisses me off.

Second which just happened last week it loses calibration with all my ESCs!! It doesn't get unbinded since I still have steering.

Any ideas??

All my rigs/cars have Spektrum RX's too...
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2011, 10:56 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I'm a Futaba guy, so I have some general answers.

1-Sounds like your servo was not centered when the servo horn was installed, thus you run out of trim. Set the trim to "0", remove the servo horn & reinstall. Then change the link length from the horn to steering so the wheels are centered (or as close as possible). Trim as required, you should be set.

2-Is your throttle channel reversed? SUre sounds like it. May need to swap motor wires and then change throttle back to normal.

Keep us posted, someone else may have the same issue some day.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:37 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Nope everything has been set to 0 to begin with. Throttle has always been normal never reversed. Wires have been fine. I even comped 2 seasons with my rigs just fine. Just lately it's been acting up.

The real issue comes when I'm racing on/off-road and need to change the trim a bit due to tires not balanced straight.

My Futaba 2PL is perfectly fine linked with a my Slash 4x4 and a couple of Tamiya cars are fine! Damn you Spektrum...
Old 07-07-2011, 03:26 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I'm sorry I couldn't help.
Hopefully a fellow Spectrum owner can help out.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:17 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Did you ever find anything out on your DX3S? I have one and its messed up too, and its about as old as yours. If I turn the wheel on the TX to the right the vehicle goes forward slowly and if i turn left it backs up sometimes...then the fun part it will just peg the throttle full gore and I cant stop it short of turning it off, the first time it did this i almost lost my crawler in a river. Now I have a futaba 4pl. I have been meaning to send it back to horizon hobby and have them look at it.
CrawlerG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:31 AM   #6
RCC Addict

First off there's been an on going problem of the trim settings. When I move the throttle trim forward it will actually set the trim backward. Then another issue is if I mess with the steering trim it won't go left if I set the right trim too far.
Is your throttle channel reversed? not sure if this will make a difference though...

You may want to set your 3s at "0" for the steering trim, then re-adjust the servo horn manually, rather than using the radio.

Second which just happened last week it loses calibration with all my ESCs!! It doesn't get unbinded since I still have steering.
Are you sure its not a loose RX cable or a frying cable?
MRCCRAWLER1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:32 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlerG View Post
Did you ever find anything out on your DX3S? I have one and its messed up too, and its about as old as yours. If I turn the wheel on the TX to the right the vehicle goes forward slowly and if i turn left it backs up sometimes...then the fun part it will just peg the throttle full gore and I cant stop it short of turning it off, the first time it did this i almost lost my crawler in a river. Now I have a futaba 4pl. I have been meaning to send it back to horizon hobby and have them look at it.
Sounds like you have your ESC and Steering connected in the wrong RX channel slots.
MRCCRAWLER1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:35 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

If that were the case then why does another dx3s radio bind to it and work flawlessly? I even bound a dx3e with no problems. But my radio it was messed up....but its ok i have it just sitting in the corner now and am running a 4pl and havent had a single issue yet.
CrawlerG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:00 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCCRAWLER1.9 View Post
Sounds like you have your ESC and Steering connected in the wrong RX channel slots.
I believe this was when he was ruling out radio issues by swapping channels.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:01 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I gave up on my DX3S...should have purchased a DX3R instead. Apparently these two transmitters are night and day difference.

MRCCRAWLER1.9 all the wiring is fine. Plugs are good. Servo horns are aluminum and have always been centered when installed. I barely put that much stress on them anyways. It seems that the TX is losing calibration to my Sidewinder ESCs. Once I started running them again this went away. I had to double check my settings weren't messed up via my Castle Link.

All I know is DON'T TOUCH THE TRIM BUTTONS!! Lol.

I'm saving up for a 4PL...never had any issues with Futaba 2PL or my 3PM.