Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 4WS Set-Up? on GT3B 3rd Channel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2011, 09:55 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default 4WS Set-Up? on GT3B 3rd Channel

Ok I am adding rear steer to my SCX10 along with getting the GT3B in the mail this week. I know how I wanna run it and in my mind it seems pretty simple but can not pinpoint the info while searching. This is all I wanna do, and Im pretty sure any 3rd Channel is the same

FWS with the 3rd Channel Off
Click 3rd Channel On
Rear Steers Opposite of the Front with the Y-Reverser
Click 3rd Channel Off and back to FWS

Will that work on the 3rd Channel and while I have the 3rd Channel off will it still hold the rear wheels straight under power or will it act like it is getting no power and move freely?

Also here is the wiring diagram I will be going with and let me know if this looks right but with a Y Harness going to each servo and the rear Servo plugged into the 3Rd Channel.

Last edited by Solitude; 07-15-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Solitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2011, 02:13 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Anyone.. Im sure it will work and with any 2 POS 3rd Channel? It seems pretty simple
Old 07-15-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
Got Worms?

I'm not quite sure what your talking about? How is the 3rd channel going to turn 4ws on/off
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:59 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Is it a 2POS switch on the 3rd channel or is it a On/Off Switch to turn like LEDS on or off? I just got into RC about 2 months ago so even tho I think I know Im still off haha.
If I click the 3rd channel button will it cut power to something or just move it to another position?
Old 07-15-2011, 11:18 PM   #5
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
Is it a 2POS switch on the 3rd channel or is it a On/Off Switch to turn like LEDS on or off? I just got into RC about 2 months ago so even tho I think I know Im still off haha.
If I click the 3rd channel button will it cut power to something or just move it to another position?
move to another position...unless you get some sort of 4ws adapter, the gt3b can't do 4ws, unless you reflash the firmware. (hack it)
Old 07-15-2011, 11:21 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Trust me Ill get the Kit and Hack it when I read up more about it. So for now all I can do is run 4WS constant for now with the Y-Reverse Harness untill I do hack it?
Old 07-15-2011, 11:36 PM   #7
Got Worms?

Quote:
Trust me Ill get the Kit and Hack it when I read up more about it. So for now all I can do is run 4WS constant for now with the Y-Reverse Harness untill I do hack it?
Um...i don't know, what do you mean reverse y harness, how do you reverse?
Old 07-16-2011, 08:34 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

There is that Y Harness that has a reverser in one of the lines to make one of the two servos operate opposite of the other.. Its mainly for RC Planes I think.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:18 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Your post is a little confusing to me as well, how many servos will there be total? 2 or 3? I am assuming two, if thats the case then you shouldnt need the y harness with the reverser. The front servo would plug into CH1 on the reciever and the rear steer servo would go to the CH3 . As far as the mixing goes, I am not sure on that one, I only use mine to run a dig on a MOA rig. There are two switches on the pistol grip part of the GT3B that could be set up to work your rear steer. You could set one to be "center" rear steer when the switch is off, then full right when the switch is moved right, and full left when the switched is moved left. You could set the second switch to be linear control, the more you hold it left, the more it moves left, and vice versa. Not sure on mixing to the steering wheel to the rear steer, maybe some one else can chime in. Personally, I would think you would want the rear steer to be independently controlled so you could be more precise with tire placement. Hope that helped.

Last edited by getbent; 07-16-2011 at 09:21 AM.
getbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:29 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

See I dont have the radio yet... Its on the way so I have not really seen it yet other then on line. I thought I read on here that would would need a Y-Reverser on 2 servos or it would just crab walk? I would like for it to be Center and then with a flip of the switch I can Move it Full Left or Full Right.. so is the 3rd Channel button a On/Off then is there another 2POS Switch that I can do Full Left or Right?
Old 07-16-2011, 10:10 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

The handle actually has three switches on it, a 2 POS switch for the 3rd channel, a three position momentary switch for the ch 3 trim, and a three position momentary switch for D/R. The ch3 trim switch and d/r switch can be mapped to perform other operations such as dig or 4ws. So essentially, you have a 2pos and two 3pos switches to work with on the grip. There are actually many other switches on the radio that can be used, but I have not gotten into that yet, so I am only telling you the parts that I am aware of. I am sure that once you get your radio and hack it, it will make more sense.
getbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:07 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
See I dont have the radio yet... Its on the way so I have not really seen it yet other then on line. I thought I read on here that would would need a Y-Reverser on 2 servos or it would just crab walk? I would like for it to be Center and then with a flip of the switch I can Move it Full Left or Full Right.. so is the 3rd Channel button a On/Off then is there another 2POS Switch that I can do Full Left or Right?

Without the radio hack you will have a 2 POS switch for the third channel it will not work for steering.. you will have full left or full right on the rear steer all the time no center..

a reversing y harness will give you full time opposing 4ws. a standard y harness will give you crab crawl full time..

The third channel is not used with the y harness setup..

I would get the hack for the radio it will cost you pretty close to the same amount as a reversing y harness..
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:36 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppy View Post
Without the radio hack you will have a 2 POS switch for the third channel it will not work for steering.. you will have full left or full right on the rear steer all the time no center..

a reversing y harness will give you full time opposing 4ws. a standard y harness will give you crab crawl full time..

The third channel is not used with the y harness setup..

I would get the hack for the radio it will cost you pretty close to the same amount as a reversing y harness..

X2
JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:25 PM   #14
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbent View Post
Your post is a little confusing to me as well, how many servos will there be total? 2 or 3? I am assuming two, if thats the case then you shouldnt need the y harness with the reverser. The front servo would plug into CH1 on the reciever and the rear steer servo would go to the CH3 . As far as the mixing goes, I am not sure on that one, I only use mine to run a dig on a MOA rig. There are two switches on the pistol grip part of the GT3B that could be set up to work your rear steer. You could set one to be "center" rear steer when the switch is off, then full right when the switch is moved right, and full left when the switched is moved left. You could set the second switch to be linear control, the more you hold it left, the more it moves left, and vice versa. Not sure on mixing to the steering wheel to the rear steer, maybe some one else can chime in. Personally, I would think you would want the rear steer to be independently controlled so you could be more precise with tire placement. Hope that helped.
Quote:
But the goal is to do this without the hack...
Old 07-17-2011, 03:06 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Well yea for now untill I understand all these RC electronics a little better
Old 07-17-2011, 05:59 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Well yea for now untill I understand all these RC electronics a little better

well basically the gt3b in its stock form is a 3 channel radio with a 2 position third channel. So all in all.... it wont control anything you would like it to do. You can put a y harness on it to accomplish about half of what you would like. Best bet would be to hack it....... order 6ch receiver and be done. No reason to buy harnesses..... wire this to that..... cut this do that blah blah blah blah. Just plug in... set up channels.... drive and push buttons.
JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote