Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Am i using the wrong esc?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2011, 01:36 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Am i using the wrong esc?

Ok, I'm running a 2200 3s with a fxr esc and a Crawler Master 13t motor. people say this motor is = to a 35 turn and tekin says it will work with a 3s 35t motor and up, but the motor limit is 13t, I'm starting to have a problem with the esc cutting out, meaning that within a 3 to 4 min window if I just run it semi hard and keep turning the wheels back and forth it will die, than it seens if I let go of the steering it will run in about a sec or 2. but not always sometimes it will just set there and than take off. The esc is at about 110F on temp, and that's only after 3 to 4 min and its cold out side. Should I not be running the fxr and should I be running a fxr-pro instead. I'm also running 14 gauge wire, I know alot of you run bigger but I'm not comping anymore and I run this set up in all of my scalers and they work fine. O....this is the lowest motor I have ever run my other ones run 45t and up.

Last edited by The Doc; 07-17-2011 at 01:39 AM.
The Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2011, 01:50 AM   #2
DOOH!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
Ok, I'm running a 2200 3s with a fxr esc and a Crawler Master 13t motor. people say this motor is = to a 35 turn and tekin says it will work with a 3s 35t motor and up, but the motor limit is 13t, I'm starting to have a problem with the esc cutting out, meaning that within a 3 to 4 min window if I just run it semi hard and keep turning the wheels back and forth it will die, than it seens if I let go of the steering it will run in about a sec or 2. but not always sometimes it will just set there and than take off. The esc is at about 110F on temp, and that's only after 3 to 4 min and its cold out side. Should I not be running the fxr and should I be running a fxr-pro instead. I'm also running 14 gauge wire, I know alot of you run bigger but I'm not comping anymore and I run this set up in all of my scalers and they work fine. O....this is the lowest motor I have ever run my other ones run 45t and up.
I think what people are saying is it's = to a 35 turn as far as low speed control, it's still a 13t motor.

Per Tekin's site:
Input Voltage: 4-9 Cells, 2S Lipo (3S Lipo with 35T or higher motor)
(also per their site it says the FX R will handle a 12t on 2S)

Time for the stupid question, external BEC?

If you have a 2S available to use try that and see how long it runs, it would be an easy way to know if your over powering it.
MTHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:00 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHead View Post
I think what people are saying is it's = to a 35 turn as far as low speed control, it's still a 13t motor.

Per Tekin's site:
Input Voltage: 4-9 Cells, 2S Lipo (3S Lipo with 35T or higher motor)
(also per their site it says the FX R will handle a 12t on 2S)

Time for the stupid question, external BEC?

If you have a 2S available to use try that and see how long it runs, it would be an easy way to know if your over powering it.
No bec at this time but I do have one. I just found a post of a esc shutting down on 3s and not 2s. But like you just said I going to try a 2s first. Do you know anything about temps, is it getting hot to fast? One thing I forgot to say is I running JR Z9100T steering servo

Last edited by The Doc; 07-17-2011 at 02:09 AM.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:29 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Ok, just ran a 2s and no prob's. If the tekin cant handle a 3s with this 13t than what esc should I get that will work and have a good drag brake and a immediate reverse. I need a foot print if possible close to the same size as the fxr to run in my water proof box. If I do run a bec that's not going to help stop the esc from getting hot so fast would it?
Old 07-17-2011, 07:28 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

The esc should be fine running the motor on 3s if its only at 110°, but what's most likely happening is the ESC internal BEC is shutting down running the 3S with a high torque servo. Using an external BEC will keep that from happening.
ThunderVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:41 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

+1 I had thermal shut down problems from an internal bec just last week.
erikblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:46 AM   #7
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Sounds like an internal BEC issue. Put on an external and see how it goes.

The FXR is totally fine with a 13t CrawlMaster.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:55 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Thanks for the reply's I'm going to put on the bec. The only question I have now is castle talks about having air flow over the bec, if I seal it up from water will in get too hot.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:06 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks for the reply's I'm going to put on the bec. The only question I have now is castle talks about having air flow over the bec, if I seal it up from water will in get too hot.
Seal it up, you'll be fine. I've never had a sealed up BEC overheat.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:14 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Ok, just ran a 2s and no prob's. If the tekin cant handle a 3s with this 13t than what esc should I get that will work and have a good drag brake and a immediate reverse. I need a foot print if possible close to the same size as the fxr to run in my water proof box. If I do run a bec that's not going to help stop the esc from getting hot so fast would it?
just get a HH BR-XL esc, no need for an external BEC, they come waterproof, and can handle any brushed motor!
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:05 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
Seal it up, you'll be fine. I've never had a sealed up BEC overheat.
Thanks, War Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
just get a HH BR-XL esc, no need for an external BEC, they come waterproof, and can handle any brushed motor!

Is the BR-XL much better than using the FXR with a bec, the BR-XL is water resistant but should you pay for the extra epoxy job? I did take the FXR out of one of my other scalers (couldn't wait to get the wraith going) so I could put it back.

John, are these in stock and could you ship Monday if I decide to get one.
I know your out of town but just incase you check this post.

Thanks

Last edited by The Doc; 07-17-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:50 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

If you're looking for waterproofed heres a great deal http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...2&cat=6&page=1
From the website;
Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster BR-XL PROTO
THESE ESCs ARE PROTOTYPE WATERPROOFED, THEY ARE NOT GUARANTEED WATERPROOF. WITH THE PURCHASE OF THIS ESC YOU ARE AGREEING TO INSTALL AND RUN THE ESC IN WATER WITHIN 30 DAYS AND GIVE FEEDBACK ON HOW THEY WORK. ANY ESC THAT DIES DURING THE FIRST THREE MONTHS OF USE WILL BE REPLACED WITH A NON WATERPROOFED EDITION WITH NORMAL WARRANTY.
erikblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:38 AM   #13
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Those are out of stock, they got snatched up fast.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote