Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Futaba 3prka

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2011, 11:56 AM   #1

Default Futaba 3prka

I just got this radio for my son's pro crawler. But before I put it to use, is it any good? Reviews on the internet are nowhere to be found. Just want to make sure There isn't a better comparable radio out there in the $69.99 price range. Thanks!
God prefers Diesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
20K Club

It's a budget 2.4 system and for the cost will take care of you pretty well. It is 3 channel but the 3rd channel is only 2 position. So if you are looking for dig then it may not be the best choice on the market. If you need help with Futaba products though feel free to contact me.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:22 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

What kind of rig are you using it with?
J
jdawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:28 PM   #4
Got Worms?

A Flysky GT3B is a much better radio...hacked or not hacked. Hobbypartz sells them not hacked, i sell them hacked. I'd recommend a hacked GT3B as the ultimate budget radio, that doesn't sacrifice features, just ergonomics, and QC.

If you want to stick to brand name, i'd have to say the dx3e would be a better choice at that price range, i never even heard of the 3prka, i thought you had a typo till i googled it.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I would take the Futaba you have over ANY Spektrum radio. Even a POS DX3R or whatever Spektrum top of the line radio is. They are all overpriced junk IMHO.

The GT3b is a golden turd. Cheap chinese unit but works great. Best bang for your buck. Very tiny Rx. $7 a RX. I got one that is not hacked and use it on my Losi comp crawler. I only use rear dig so a 2 position 3rd channel works just fine for my use. The Tx is a bit bulky.
BurnLatex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:08 PM   #6

I was looking at the same radio but couldn't find much on it at all. The GT3b is looking like a pretty good buy too though.
JohnyBeGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:42 PM   #7
Got Worms?

I just noticed your here locally, if you end up with a gt3b, i'll flash it for ya

I'm also trying to get andy to carry them, but he'll be charging as much, if not more than what i sell them for, pre flashed.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:36 PM   #8

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Who's Andy?

Ergonomics are kind of important in this case because he's not even four yet and he has small hands.

It's going with a Losi Pro roller. I was going to use it with my rig and give him mine, but I like that it has a concealed antenna so he won't fall and break it off or something.

Right now he has a Maisto crawler from WalMart and he's gotten really good at driving it, but I can see he gets a little disappointed when his crawler can't do what mine does.

He gets this crawler when he learns to write all his ABC's. He's on E right now, so I have a month to get stuff ready. So far I've got the car and the radio.

I'm using a HS-645mg just like on my crawler. I can mod my stock Losi plate for his rig and I have some more Axial posts for it. Then It's going to be stock Losi ESC with Slider motor or something around there. I like brushed because they're cheap, and he still likes to run into stuff and keep on the go pedal and I think the motor is going to hate life, so no reason to go expensive. Although he will only be able to bash it when I'm there. He still has the Maisto for when I'm at work.

I'll prob go with the LOSB1207 1000mAh Lipo like on my truck. 27 bucks and has lots of power and run time.

Are those Rock Claws on it the same as stock Losi RTR rubber? They have the same tread pattern and feel roughly the same too. Just curious if I should finish modding my Flatirons and put them on for him.

Kids need hobbies. Soon I'll have his go-cart built so he can get good at driving fast, and by that time it's time for junior dragsters!!

Thanks again for all the replies guys. And I welcome any tips on cheaper and easy to find parts and electronics for this thing that are better than the choices I've made.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
I just noticed your here locally, if you end up with a gt3b, i'll flash it for ya

I'm also trying to get andy to carry them, but he'll be charging as much, if not more than what i sell them for, pre flashed.
Thanks for the offer. I'll check out those radios and maybe get one for myself and let you go to work on it. But I want my rig to be able to comp. Do they care about how many channels the radio has, or just how many you're using?
Old 07-21-2011, 12:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
It's a budget 2.4 system and for the cost will take care of you pretty well. It is 3 channel but the 3rd channel is only 2 position. So if you are looking for dig then it may not be the best choice on the market. If you need help with Futaba products though feel free to contact me.
Thanks for the info! But since he's small, no dig required. If he can't make it up an obstacle, he just gives the rig a little help.

What help with Futaba do you mean?
Old 07-21-2011, 01:14 PM   #11
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by God prefers Diesels View Post
Thanks for all the replies guys.

Who's Andy?
Owner of High Desert Raceplace on North AVE.

Quote:
Ergonomics are kind of important in this case because he's not even four yet and he has small hands.

It's going with a Losi Pro roller. I was going to use it with my rig and give him mine, but I like that it has a concealed antenna so he won't fall and break it off or something.

Right now he has a Maisto crawler from WalMart and he's gotten really good at driving it, but I can see he gets a little disappointed when his crawler can't do what mine does.

He gets this crawler when he learns to write all his ABC's. He's on E right now, so I have a month to get stuff ready. So far I've got the car and the radio.

I'm using a HS-645mg just like on my crawler. I can mod my stock Losi plate for his rig and I have some more Axial posts for it. Then It's going to be stock Losi ESC with Slider motor or something around there. I like brushed because they're cheap, and he still likes to run into stuff and keep on the go pedal and I think the motor is going to hate life, so no reason to go expensive. Although he will only be able to bash it when I'm there. He still has the Maisto for when I'm at work.

I'll prob go with the LOSB1207 1000mAh Lipo like on my truck. 27 bucks and has lots of power and run time.

Are those Rock Claws on it the same as stock Losi RTR rubber? They have the same tread pattern and feel roughly the same too. Just curious if I should finish modding my Flatirons and put them on for him.

Kids need hobbies. Soon I'll have his go-cart built so he can get good at driving fast, and by that time it's time for junior dragsters!!

Thanks again for all the replies guys. And I welcome any tips on cheaper and easy to find parts and electronics for this thing that are better than the choices I've made.
Jeez, sounds kinda spolied a jr. dragster must be a expensive toy
Old 07-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #12
Got Worms?

Quote:
Thanks for the offer. I'll check out those radios and maybe get one for myself and let you go to work on it. But I want my rig to be able to comp. Do they care about how many channels the radio has, or just how many you're using?
Nah i don't think amount of ch's are limited, just how many you use, and even then i believe thats only stated in the sportsman class.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:17 PM   #13
Got Worms?

Quote:

Yea the gt3b has abit of a big handle, probably not the best for a tikes hand,

But the antenna does fold down flush and hidden, so it won't get snapped off.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:18 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thanks for the info! But since he's small, no dig required. If he can't make it up an obstacle, he just gives the rig a little help.

What help with Futaba do you mean?
Harley is one of our Futaba team members and does alot with supporting the radio systems by helping people with radio setup and any other issues they may encounter with Futaba products. He has done several videos and tutorials on RCC to help people set up the Futaba 4PK/4PKS/3PMX and 4PL

The 3PRKA will be more than enough for a Losi mini. You also need to take into account at that age, you might not want a bunch of buttons/programming options that can get "bumped" or fiddled with, or screens that can be damaged if/when dropped. I know this because I have a 9yr old and a 5 yr old. And if you decide to upgrade to a 4PL later down the road, the receivers for the 3PRKA will be compatible.

J

Last edited by jdawg53; 07-21-2011 at 01:38 PM.
jdawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
Owner of High Desert Raceplace on North AVE.

Jeez, sounds kinda spolied a jr. dragster must be a expensive toy
Thought it might've been him. Nice guy. FAR better attitude than the guys at Hobby Hut.

No, he's not spoiled. But thanks to my wife, he's an excellent kid. But I race, and getting him into something like that will keep him occupied and away from worse things...I hope. Besides, he'll know how to turn a wrench, and that's priceless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawg53 View Post
Harley is one of our Futaba team members and does alot with supporting the radio systems by helping people with radio setup and any other issues they may encounter with Futaba products. He has done several videos and tutorials on RCC to help people set up the Futaba 4PK/4PKS/3PMX and 4PL

The 3PRKA will be more than enough for a Losi mini. You also need to take into account at that age, you might not want a bunch of buttons/programming options that can get "bumped" or fiddled with, or screens that can be damaged if/when dropped. I know this because I have a 9yr old and a 5 yr old. And if you decide to upgrade to a 4PL later down the road, the receivers for the 3PRKA will be compatible.

J
The buttons are under a clear piece of plastic, so they can't get fiddled with. Good to know on the 4pl. Thanks for the tip.

Just wondering, do they make a child sized radio? Thanks.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:08 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Just wondering, do they make a child sized radio? Thanks.
Closest I know of (for a "real" radio) is the MT-4 (IIRC). A fellow club member of mine has small hands and like his new radio over a 4PL due to the size.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:38 AM   #17
Got Worms?

I've been considering making a custom child size radio...but i figured the amount i'd have to charge for it, it wouldn't really be a childs radio...but i am thinking about a wii nun chuck radio. Which, although it gets rid of the whole wheel/trigger skill learning, would work for a kid perfect.

I would make it so its just a box, with a screen and some buttons that go on like a belt, and the nun chuck would plug into it, or another type of controller. It would be using the internals of a gt3b.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:28 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

^^ I would buy it if like the nunchuck did the steering with the thumb and the other controller is trigger for gas, A for reverse, and the 1/2 buttons can be other channels
dblrnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:41 AM   #19
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblrnut View Post
^^ I would buy it if like the nunchuck did the steering with the thumb and the other controller is trigger for gas, A for reverse, and the 1/2 buttons can be other channels
st and th would both be on the joy stick...idea is to have a 1 handed controller.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:28 PM   #20
RCC Addict

I would love to have a one handed 3 channel radio. Then I could drive two rigs at once.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote