Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: GT3b Radio/Receiver Problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2011, 09:47 AM   #1

Default GT3b Radio/Receiver Problems

I just bought a gt3b radio etc. On page 7 of the manual it shows how to connect your ESC and servo and battery - I followed the instructions exactly and I think I fried my receiver. I put the ESC into the channel 2 slot and a servo into the channel 1 slot on the receiver. I had a motor hooked up and a 7.2 volt battery. Im using a older novak rooster reversible esc I bought in the mid 90s. The radio would not talk to the receiver and I noticed the receiver was getting very hot so I disconnected everything. According to the manual the receive was bound at the factory and should work fine? I have done exhaustive searches on the web and can not find what I am doing wrong here. I have been out of this hobby for 15 yrs so I am a bit behind the technology curve. I can post pictures if it will help - be back later. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help....
harpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2011, 10:58 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

its possible you got a bad rx because from what i understand everything was hooked up correctly and extra rx's are cheap they are like $8
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:43 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

X2 on the possible bad receiver, I use a GT-3 and I have one rx that gave me some issues once. Does your esc have a built on BEC? Could it possibly be faulty, letting the battery's full voltage pass to the rx? Those rx's are rated to 6v, anymore and they fry pretty quick.
day215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:54 PM   #4

Thanks for the response guys - I will try to track down the specifications for this old Rooster ESC - just might be the culprit here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by day215 View Post
X2 on the possible bad receiver, I use a GT-3 and I have one rx that gave me some issues once. Does your esc have a built on BEC? Could it possibly be faulty, letting the battery's full voltage pass to the rx? Those rx's are rated to 6v, anymore and they fry pretty quick.
harpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:43 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Got my radio the other day and just set it up in my Honcho. Got it bound, steering trimmed, steering endpoints set, reversed channel 2 (throttle) and it works but will not save this setting! WTF?

Reset it 10 times and it won't stay reversed!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:53 AM   #6

Ok I just got one yesterday and it took me about 4 hours to figure out you put the Esc-Battery plug into vcc not into channel 2 where it should and will go. The instructions suck but once i figured that out mine works like a champ.
Repoman330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:48 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repoman330 View Post
Ok I just got one yesterday and it took me about 4 hours to figure out you put the Esc-Battery plug into vcc not into channel 2 where it should and will go. The instructions suck but once i figured that out mine works like a champ.
Uh you mean the esc goes in channel 2, and rx battery (if you use one) goes in channel 3?
Old 07-20-2011, 03:33 AM   #8

Basicly when binding you plug your esc into the VSC port and the bind plug in in bind. Once bound turn off esc then radio put esc into number 2 slot pull bind plug turn radio on and then turn on esc and it stays bound I even transfered the reciver between multiple vehicles. If you use rx battery plug that in vcc and dont even plug the esc till bound. Id like to thank youtube and this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXKC5wffI44.
Repoman330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:26 AM   #9
RCC Addict

there is also a tutorial on Hobbypartz web site on how to set it up,
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:49 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

How many volts are you sending to the RX? Are you using the BEC in the ESC or are you using an external BEC? . The rx is rated to only 6v per manufacture specs, I haven't tried mine at anything more than 6.1, just a thought.
day215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:20 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

I accidentally hooked mine up with too much power going to the rx through the bec, it immediately shut down and wouldnt respond. I heard a small pop noise when it happened, which meant one of two things.... I either popped a component in the rx , or it has a circuit breaker built in. I took the cover off the rx to inspect and nothing appeared burnt or smelled burnt, but I did notice a small silver component on the board that resembled a circuit breaker. So, I let the rx sit for a while hoping that if it was a breaker it would reset. Sure enough, after a few minutes I plugged it all back together with the proper voltage and it was working fine again.
getbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:03 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbent View Post
I accidentally hooked mine up with too much power going to the rx through the bec,
how much did it take before it shut down?
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:30 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Actually, Im not sure. I bought a used CC BEC and asked the seller to set it to 6 volts before he shipped it. I am assuming he did, but I did not check the output voltage so I cant be positive. Anyway, when I hooked it the rx it immediately popped. I just rewired the BEC straight to the servo so it doesnt plug into the rx anymore.
getbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:09 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Got my radio the other day and just set it up in my Honcho. Got it bound, steering trimmed, steering endpoints set, reversed channel 2 (throttle) and it works but will not save this setting! WTF?

Reset it 10 times and it won't stay reversed!
You didnt save it...... if you dont save and then close menu out it will return to where the original setting was.
JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:48 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokersWild View Post
You didnt save it...... if you dont save and then close menu out it will return to where the original setting was.
Thanks, yes you are correct. Changed it, saved, and works great!

EDIT: OK...that's why I shouldn't work on things like this late at night. Little help from a friend and got it figured.

Turn on radio, push ENTER, twist knob to REV, push ENTER, twist knob to select channel, push END and the FWD or REV will flash (whichever one it's already set to), twist knob to select which you want (REV or NOR), push ENTER, push END, push BACK and it's saved...you're done or you can then adjust the other servo forward/reverse, etc. Great little radio for the money, but the manual sucks...takes some reading, tinkering and sometimes a little help from friends to figure it all out!

Last edited by Natedog; 07-21-2011 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:33 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Thanks, yes you are correct. Changed it, saved, and works great!

EDIT: OK...that's why I shouldn't work on things like this late at night. Little help from a friend and got it figured.

Turn on radio, push ENTER, twist knob to REV, push ENTER, twist knob to select channel, push END and the FWD or REV will flash (whichever one it's already set to), twist knob to select which you want (REV or NOR), push ENTER, push END, push BACK and it's saved...you're done or you can then adjust the other servo forward/reverse, etc. Great little radio for the money, but the manual sucks...takes some reading, tinkering and sometimes a little help from friends to figure it all out!
Yea that was one of the "big" complaints about this radio. If you hack it with PSX firmware that will all be fixed. End was back and back was end. There was a bunch of stuff but since I hacked mine...... I forgot it all already even tho I have had it for a year or so. Im a lot happier with it now....... not to mention the 6 channels.... mixing and all the better programing. Good luck mang
JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote