Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: What battery do you all prefer and size

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2011, 07:47 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default What battery do you all prefer and size

still getting info for a crawler. i still am thinking that i am going to try and get an Axial AX10 RTC.
but what kind of battery wont break the bank but give me some good long run times. im still new to the battery stuff and i know that Max Amps makes great batterys and are water proof but i cant justify dropping the price on them....have seen some that are Sky LiPo for pretty reasonable money. i think the 5000mah was around $30 but i am new with the battery stuff as my main RCs are nitros.
planning on getting a Thunder charger for around $50-$60..but still not sure on what battery to get. long run times is one of the big things that i like about the crawlers.
any info you all could give would be a huge help
champ198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2011, 08:54 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

I run a Turnigy Lipo 5.0 (5000mah) an I like you love long run times. I get bout 6+hrs on one charge an it won't break the bank at around 30-35 bucks.
Teejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:58 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I am all about the long run times. I'll gladly carry around a bit more weight and a bigger pack to run twice (or more) as long! I've had no issues with cheap (~$30) batteries yet.
Ramination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:59 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

I have an ax10 crawler that i play and comp with. I have 1300mAh 3s batteries that I run in mine, depending on motor type this will last anywhere from 30-45 minutes and depends on driving style.These 1300mAh batteries cost around $12 and I have 7 of them and have not had any issues yet. http://www.hobbypartz.com/gens.html
this is the link to the website... good luck and have fun crawling!!
CrawlerG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:01 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Also the thing with the big @ss 5000mah batteries is that its like strapping a brick to your crawler and makes it a little unstable. But if that isnt a concern or worry then have fun! but for when and if you get into comps you will want a small battery that wont little the crawlers ability...
CrawlerG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:03 AM   #6
RCC Addict

First off Maxamps makes over priced garbage. They are not even up to par with most of the low budget batteries today and ALL lipo are waterproof by nature. The lithium polymer is sealed, if it wasn't, your pack would fail. Maxamps is a marketing machine and nothing more. I have owned many of there packs and all of them puffed or completely failed where other budget packs never even flinched.

The sky lipo and others www.hobbypartz.com sells are great. Over the years I have used about every brand out there. Thunder Power, Flight Power, Hyperion, Neu, Zippy, Maxamps, Rhino, Sky, Gens Ace, Blue, etc. For all but the most demanding applications the hobbypartz offerings are great. My favorite ever are still Flight Power but not needed especially in crawling.

If you are looking for comp and keeping weight low you want something in the 500-1500 mah range 2s-4s depending on what setup you are running. Moving the battery to the axle is the best thing you can do as well because it lowers the center of gravity and puts the weight closer to where it's needed most, the front axle.

Yeah a 5000mah pack lasts forever but in crawling I can get 15 minutes from a 4s 1000mah pack. Typically that will get me through two courses. With a scaler you can go a little higher but it's still best to keep the weight down and stay with lower mah packs. I get around 30-45 minutes on a 2500-3000mah 3s pack in my SCX10's.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:06 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

buy a couple smaller batts i run 850s and still get a good 20mins on them buy 2 or 3 1300s and charge one run one and have one in your pocket can run all day like that. Trying to fit a 5000 on the truck is a pain and is to heavy. Real easy to fit a 1300 on the front axle keeping the weight were you want it.
mindless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:57 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSP View Post
First off Maxamps makes over priced garbage. They are not even up to par with most of the low budget batteries today and ALL lipo are waterproof by nature. The lithium polymer is sealed, if it wasn't, your pack would fail. Maxamps is a marketing machine and nothing more. I have owned many of there packs and all of them puffed or completely failed where other budget packs never even flinched.

The sky lipo and others www.hobbypartz.com sells are great. Over the years I have used about every brand out there. Thunder Power, Flight Power, Hyperion, Neu, Zippy, Maxamps, Rhino, Sky, Gens Ace, Blue, etc. For all but the most demanding applications the hobbypartz offerings are great. My favorite ever are still Flight Power but not needed especially in crawling.

If you are looking for comp and keeping weight low you want something in the 500-1500 mah range 2s-4s depending on what setup you are running. Moving the battery to the axle is the best thing you can do as well because it lowers the center of gravity and puts the weight closer to where it's needed most, the front axle.

Yeah a 5000mah pack lasts forever but in crawling I can get 15 minutes from a 4s 1000mah pack. Typically that will get me through two courses. With a scaler you can go a little higher but it's still best to keep the weight down and stay with lower mah packs. I get around 30-45 minutes on a 2500-3000mah 3s pack in my SCX10's.

Thanks for that info....im wanting a comp crawler just mainly for its capabilitys...im not planning on doing an competitions or anything as there isnt any around this area just mainly wanting a comp crawler for its capabilitys over a scal rig...im sure ill probably end up with a scale rig at some point but i would like to start with a comp rig for now and the longer run times is what im wanting
Old 08-10-2011, 10:13 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ198 View Post
Thanks for that info....I'm wanting a comp crawler just mainly for its capabilities...I'm not planning on doing any competitions or anything as there isn't any around this area. Just mainly wanting a comp crawler for its capabilities over a scale rig...I'm sure I'll probably end up with a scale rig at some point but I would like to start with a comp rig for now and the longer run times is what I'm wanting
One thing to keep in mind, it is good for the electronics to cool off now & then. Running a few smaller packs allows this when you change them out.
Also, if you only have 1 large pack, if it dies or has issues, you can't run. Having a few smaller packs gives you options as well as they are easier to fit in/on a rig.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:38 AM   #10
RCC Addict

I use gforce lipos in my XR-10. they are about $10 per pack, but only 1300mah.. they are good for comps, and give me about 30-45min each charge
MRCCRAWLER1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:04 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for all the info fellas...maybe i would be better off with something like a 3200mah pack or so and just get a few of them...that might be the better way to go.
the LHS is getting an AX10 in this week so im gonna go check it out. he had to make up some money for an order and i was askin about them so he ordered one in for us to take a look at
Old 08-10-2011, 12:04 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
One thing to keep in mind, it is good for the electronics to cool off now & then. Running a few smaller packs allows this when you change them out.
x2, very true. This goes for all motors.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:13 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I would stay small and light, These little packs are good for 30 min run times. They come with a deans plug already soldered on. I've bought a few of these and love the. Plus they are super cheap, so you can stock up. Your rig will perform much better with a light pack.

http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...php?item_id=94

$7.90 a pack, can't beat it!

Last edited by klabeaume; 08-10-2011 at 01:41 PM.
klabeaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:33 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSP View Post
x2, very true. This goes for all motors.
I'm also thinking the ESC & steering servo.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:33 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Get one of each, and decide for yourself You can get a pack cheap as heck from hobbypartz or hobbyking. If you aren't comping or anything no need to buy anything real expensive. There is never any need to buy a maxamps pack, lol.
Stregone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:56 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Hyperion G3 EX 45C 2600Mah LiPo

Here is the exact battery I run:
http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-16...X--dsh-/Detail
BadRockNoCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:07 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

I really like my turnigy lipo packs. They have held a great charge and are reliable and cheap. I have stayed in the 1,000 - 1300mah size range just so it will fit in my LCC.
concretejungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:42 PM   #18
Got Worms?

Out of the batteries i've owned (just about all cheap pack brands)

Gens Ace packs from Hobbypartz, is by far my favorite

But these are great packs too

Holmes Motion Control (HMC) packs, from Holmes Hobbies

Elite Packs from CheapBatteryPacks.com
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:45 PM   #19
Got Worms?

Also if you want a crawler for its abilities, get a small pack, like a 1300mah

A big pack ruins its abilities...also a stock AX-10 is not a very good comp crawler. It can be tuned and such to make it good, but in stock form its not. If you want to run a transmission and drive lines a Losi Comp/Night crawler is the way to go, if you want to go MOA, probably the xr-10 is your best bet.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:05 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

thanks for all the info everyone ill start looking into some of the packs and see what i can find.