Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: water proofing question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2011, 01:21 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default water proofing question

Ok so i read through sticky on waterproofing electronics but wondered if there is other ways than a balloon or a electronics box. My electronics are CC sidewinder esc,traxxas tq3 receiver,CC bec,hitech 645mg servo,and a 3racing winch. What is the best way to waterproof what i got? Dont really want to change the location or apperance of the electronics. Any help will be appreciated and thanks in advance
EMUTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2011, 01:28 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Can't speak for anything but the servo, however I have two of the 645s (one on front, one on rear) and both have been completely submerged numerous times without issue. Plus they are cheap, I'd say don't worry about those bad boys.
Ramination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Cool thanks for the input and your right i have had a 645mg semerged before with no issues no that you mention it lol but thats when we were running all the other electronics in balloons lol
Old 08-16-2011, 04:04 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

If your technically inclined you can take the electronics apart and cover the boards with dielectric grease, found at any good car parts store. You want to make sure not to leave any air pockets, and use enough so that it oozes out when you reasemble the case. The receiver and ESC are pretty easy, but the servos take a bit more care when dissasembling and reasembling.

Kind of time consuming and tedious, but cheap and unquestionable effective. Plus, once you wipe all the excess grease off of the outside of the component it looks stock.

I've done this to Traxxas recievers, Castle ESC's and Hitec servos with excellent results. Not sure if it'd work on the winch though...
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:12 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
If your technically inclined you can take the electronics apart and cover the boards with dielectric grease, found at any good car parts store. You want to make sure not to leave any air pockets, and use enough so that it oozes out when you reasemble the case. The receiver and ESC are pretty easy, but the servos take a bit more care when dissasembling and reasembling.

Kind of time consuming and tedious, but cheap and unquestionable effective. Plus, once you wipe all the excess grease off of the outside of the component it looks stock.

I've done this to Traxxas recievers, Castle ESC's and Hitec servos with excellent results. Not sure if it'd work on the winch though...
Awesome this is what I wanted to hear thanks for your reply now to get some dielectric grease thanks again for the reply
Old 08-19-2011, 10:35 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Will this work ????
Old 08-20-2011, 01:09 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

yup, thats what you want.

I probably used a half a tube doing on the components on my SCX, but quite a bit got wiped off after I closed everything back up and it came oozing out the case halves.

If you don't have a super strong servo, then don't put much, if any, grease on the gears. Jjust around the output shaft bearing and the end of the motor. I'll also put some around the outside of the case before installing the servo horn. Then put the top half back together and pull the bottom half and fill with grease. Too much grease on the gears will slow down a weak servo and make it operate hotter.

I have at least ten hours of underwater exploration time on my SCX without any issues thus far, other than short lived axle and trans bearings. Now I run the Avid Revolutions and pack them with grease until it oozes out the rubber sealed side and haven't had any issues.

Drove out of this one.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:20 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

AWESOME that's what I needed to hear lol now on to the waterproof.....after I kill some zombies lol