Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Motor help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Motor help

Picked up some older HH Handwounds from a forum member, once I got the 4mm bullets soldered onto the ends I noticed it went in reverse faster than forwards, but the timing is 12* advanced and i've read 6-7* is ideal... Should I retard it back a little?

This was wired for the front motor on an MOA and I'm putting it on a shafty, could i be running it backwards?

Front Motor:

Rear Motor:

Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2011, 03:33 PM   #2
MODERATOR™

Something's goofy if they're going faster in reverse with any amount of advanced timing, really. Like the endbell was rotated 180 degrees and the motors are spinning backwards.

Make sure they're spinning the correct way.

Then you want to advanced timing a little bit so it's a touch faster forward than reverse. You'll hear it, so loosen the endbell screws a little and put it in the spot that sounds a hair faster forwards than reverse.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:38 PM   #3
dnf

yeah,go a few * the other side of zero and you will likely be good to go.
And clean your comm,you'll be happier with the motors performance.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:51 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The front motor is a KR....the endbell is on correct. Positive is ALWAYS to the left of the timing 0 on the can if you are looking at that angle.

12 degrees is a bit much....

As for why its faster in reverse, this is typically a speedo or radio setting....there is not really anything how you have it set that can make the motor do that.

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:36 PM   #5
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
The front motor is a KR....the endbell is on correct. Positive is ALWAYS to the left of the timing 0 on the can if you are looking at that angle.
I always look down on the endbell and learned it red on the right (of the timing mark). R on the R.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:48 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Just got home, mocked it all up in the chassis, connected the drive shafts and did some tests.

No matter what I do it still goes faster in reverse.... the other motor has a freshly cut comm, just tested it real quick w/o connectors and it does the same thing, faster in reverse than forward.

Eddie, you said the first motor was a KR? what/who is that? I was told from the seller on the forum both were Holmes.

Also noticed that the spur gear is wobbling and the pinion on this motor is going in and out a little bit... should I be concerned?

Last edited by Crawford; 08-18-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

You really need to check your speedo and radio settings. It's really the only thing that can cause it since you have the motor all set correctly, unless the motor in your shafty mounts backwards (like the rear motor of an MOA). In that case, your motor would see negative timing in forward how you have it set.

As for the motor, its a Reedy KR based teardown that the motor is built upon. Many, including myself think its the best crawler teardown, though you can't get them anymore...........I am hoarding probably the last 60 unbuilt teardowns in the world:P Maybe an LE in the future with some of them.

Later EddieO
Old 08-18-2011, 05:08 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
You really need to check your speedo and radio settings. It's really the only thing that can cause it since you have the motor all set correctly, unless the motor in your shafty mounts backwards (like the rear motor of an MOA). In that case, your motor would see negative timing in forward how you have it set.

As for the motor, its a Reedy KR based teardown that the motor is built upon. Many, including myself think its the best crawler teardown, though you can't get them anymore...........I am hoarding probably the last 60 unbuilt teardowns in the world:P Maybe an LE in the future with some of them.

Later EddieO
Eddie, It's cannot be the radio, I just tested an integy 35t v11 and the stock 27t, both spin at exactly the same RPM forward/reverse respectively I set the radio to a new unconfigured setting different from my normal setting, same thing happens... I've been playing with nor/rev, trim settings, d/r, exp, and then the wires going to the motor. I'm running the motor with the output shaft facing towards the front axle, ax10's originally had the output shaft facing to the rear axle... slower forward direction is CW, it's spinning faster CCW.

also, could anyone explain "teardown". not understanding, I see the reedy kr can, but thats where my knowledge of the subject stops.

Last edited by Crawford; 08-18-2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:18 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Put the timing at zero and try it....if it goes away, its a setting some where or the motor is mounted in reverse.

A teardown is like the base motor. It comes unbuilt from the company who own the design rights. Companies like myself or Fantom buy teardowns (often called OEM companies) that we then wind, process and build into a complete motor to sell. Companies like Reedy, Orion, Trinity used to OEM out their teardowns to companies like mine.

Later EddieO

Last edited by EddieO; 08-18-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:30 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Retarded it back to here and ran if for maybe 3-10 seconds to check, now properly rotating faster in the direction I want, will this cause problems with the motor as I know theoretically a retarded timing will cause premature motor failure/wear.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:33 PM   #11
MODERATOR™

The endbell in that picture is 180 off. So you have actually advanced the timing on that one. Everything is perfectly safe, I'm telling ya, just go by sound.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:39 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

If that worked, then your truck has the tranny mounted backwards and it uses a reversed motor. Previously it had negative 24 degrees of timing because it was running in reverse.

Later EddieO
Old 08-18-2011, 06:54 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
The endbell in that picture is 180 off. So you have actually advanced the timing on that one. Everything is perfectly safe, I'm telling ya, just go by sound.
to be honest, I tried swappin the end bell 180* two or three times and never noticed a damn bit of difference. Maybe I'm just a retard... :homer simpson:

Quote:
If that worked, then your truck has the tranny mounted backwards and it uses a reversed motor. Previously it had negative 24 degrees of timing because it was running in reverse.

Later EddieO
yeah, i stated that up a post or two. so just run it how it is I'll be fine then. cool.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:52 PM   #14
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
never noticed a damn bit of difference. Maybe I'm just a retard...
It reverses rotation.