Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Losikid's GT3B build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2011, 11:47 PM   #1
Got Worms?

Default Losikid's GT3B build

Alright well, its time for me to build myself a new radio, my tq is starting to show its age against the GT3B, and i've slowly started to dislike the TQ's ergo's. So i've been weighing my options and guesstimating on how stuff will go.

My plan:

I've been trying to figure out how todo what i want in the GT3B, which i came up with an idea but it be real tight if it did work, chances are i'd have todo alot of plastic modifications. Recently i bought a AX-3 pulled from a rtr wraith and i really like this radio, the ergos are abit better than the 3b, the steering wheel is in a more comfortable and sturdy position, while leaving a touch more room to work with to add switches, and i like the handle and how its designed for reason i'll explain later on in this thread, as idea's/designs are very well thought out yet. So i'm taking the AX-3 Housing and i'm going to shove the guts in from the gt3b. Now i will have some to abit of plastic work, as i'm going to integrate the GT3B top cover into the AX-3, as the screen is HUGE and well can't really be moved. The nicest thing about this whole setup though, is that my power plug, and my trigger and st wheel plugs are all compatible with each other. So this saves me a ton of PITA work, i hate having to attempt to change/modify how pots go into rtc stuff.

My Goal:

I plan to make the most awesome GT3B based radio possible, by the time i'm done i'll have telemetry, 1 cell lipo's, unique mixing setup, el back lighting, built in lipo charger, frsky, and more.

Purpose of this Thread:

I'm not doing this thread for a DIY, however feel free to take any of my idea's and such and implement them into your own GT3B if you have the skills. I will document all my mods, but they arn't going to be in baby step format, just a general this is how i did this. I will however try to explain the concept thoroughly when i start moving/modifying stuff electrically.

So far this is my cost

AX-3- $35
GT3B- $35
Bearing- $3
Volt Reg- $10

So at about $85, for all the basic's i'm going to try and stay under $125 until i move onto telemetry, el backlighting, built in charger, etc. So i have $40 to get switches, plastic material, wire, etc. I think its possible, but it may be tough beings one of the switches i want to use cost $10 , and some of the other tactile switches can be $5+ so we'll see if i make it or not.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2011, 11:47 PM   #2
Got Worms?

reserved Links to Tech posts
Old 08-27-2011, 11:32 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Sweet..... lets do this
JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:20 PM   #4
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokersWild View Post
Sweet..... lets do this

It'll be a kinda slowish build, but i should have some stuff up today hopefully, still trying to map out how i want stuff so it may be a few days before i start doing much of anything. I need to figure out how exactly i want/need to do my dual esc mixing then talk to psx and figure out how easily it can be implemented, going to do something similar to what i'm doing now in my tq, but theres abunch of options so next mouser or digi key order i need to order in a selection of stuff to choose from, data sheets only get you so close.

But i'l probably be putting in a rtc lever in the handle, but i may do a 4 way tactile switch, so up down will give me dig and forward backwards will adjust bias. Maybe. the buttons on the main board (TH and ST tirm) will defiantly be moved somewhere, i'm thinking in the st wheel. i'm going to look for a 2 way tactile so i have a switch instead of buttons. But may have to settle on a small button as space is tight.

My joystick idea will control bias, however when i press a button i want it to control the rear esc and the trigger controls the front. Giving full independent control. This is what i'm doing now and its been working great, very rarely will i actually use independent but its nice to have. Most common use for me is to give slight back throttle to unload my suspension while digging. Tires never move backwards, just unloads the suspension.

After this build is done i'm going to work on a Flysky 9x build, with custom fw (ER9X)