Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: opinions on vxl 3s?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2011, 11:10 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default opinions on vxl 3s?

My buddy is selling a vxl 3s combo with the brushless motor. Its new and hasn't been ran. What are your guys views on the vxl 3s?
muddinscx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

for a crawler or scaler you really need something with a drag brake.....also not a big fan of brushless in these rigs...tooooo much wheel speed and too much cogging
Dogbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:32 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Well its more like a hill climber and mudder. I have a ax10 for crawling
Old 08-27-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

depends a lot on your use.

$80 is a good deal. $100 is typically where they list used. $150 new.

The ESC is popular since it is waterproof and will run brushed, brushless, and brushless sensored. No drag brake though.

ESC can be overheated in a demanding racing applications, especially on 3s, but I can't see cooking one in a crawler.

Traxxas has a lifetime replacement warranty on the ESC. Send the ESC and something like $35 for shipping and handling and they replace it. They will sometimes wave the fee if the ESC looks mint. I've sent three in and they waved the fee on two of them.

Not the best ESC out there but if you don't need a drag brake they are a good budget brushless option.

If you don't need brushless and you want full-features for crawling get a Holmes BR-XL
Mud Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Puppy View Post
depends a lot on your use.

$80 is a good deal. $100 is typically where they list used. $150 new.

The ESC is popular since it is waterproof and will run brushed, brushless, and brushless sensored. No drag brake though.

ESC can be overheated in a demanding racing applications, especially on 3s, but I can't see cooking one in a crawler.

Traxxas has a lifetime replacement warranty on the ESC. Send the ESC and something like $35 for shipping and handling and they replace it. They will sometimes wave the fee if the ESC looks mint. I've sent three in and they waved the fee on two of them.

Not the best ESC out there but if you don't need a drag brake they are a good budget brushless option.

If you don't need brushless and you want full-features for crawling get a Holmes BR-XL
I have a fxr in my ax10 and its great but I want a brxl for it to run higher lipo and I'm not a fan on tekins exterior copasitor (how ever its spelled) sitting on top. I have 3 trucks right now and the vxl was going to be for my hill climber (kinda like a formula truck). With the vxl I can run 3 different types of motors. You can't beat that warrany.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:06 PM   #6
Proverbial threadkiller

I've got one in my 1/12th scale truggy, and I like it. I'd like to pick one up for my Slash, but there's comparable systems out there at competitive pricing. Having someone local looking to part with a new one might sway my decision, though.

Mine ran last year on DTX 4600 NiMh's, and was rather undergeared. Ran and accelerated fine, just didn't have any top end to speak of. I should probably check and see when Crandon's going to have an open run/ practice day, and go see how it acts with the taller gearing and 2S LiPo.

For what you'll be doing, though, I would think it would work just fine.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:22 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Yea I'm not gonna be competing in anything. I've got a dinky summit craddle, summit trans on order. Its just gonna be like a "formula" truck
Old 08-27-2011, 04:38 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

For mud trucks with tire speed I totally endorse the VXL. I know lots of guys who use them for exactly that. I don't know of another waterproof ESC with a good warranty. My 4x4 slash "MT" conversion often is run in mud and snow.

Of the ones I have sent in for warranty one was cooked by a buddy not connecting the battery correctly and the other two were bought cheap used and I have no idea how they were used / abused previously.
Mud Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote