Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: NovakM2 DIG: My Lipo Blew Up in my XR-10, and now my ESC don't work right???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
Master Rocksmith...

Default NovakM2 DIG: My Lipo Blew Up in my XR-10, and now my ESC don't work right???

i put a fresh hyperion 1350 mah 3s lipo in my xr-10 for a quick session, and after 2-3 minutes, i noticed a difference in throttle performance, shortly followed by smoke and sizzling from the lipo... i managed to get it pulled before it caught fire, and got it outside... so no biggie i thought? but as i hooked up another freshly charged pack to it, i realized my rear motor will only go in reverse, no forwards motion from the rear motor? front motor still works fine, dig switch still works in both directions and led indicators all function as they normally would. im running tekin handwound motors , and they are like new as well... i've re-set and re calibrated the esc and RX several times with no change...

so my question is, is it possible for a bad lipo to cause a internal problem with my ESC, has this happened to anyone before, and what can i do to fix it?

thanks...
FlightInstrukta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Hmmmm....unless the pack polarity was incorrect, a "bad LiPO" usually means a dead/dieing cell that just causes the ESC to do a LVC shutdown.

I don't know what your issue was/is.

Try swapping the connections to the motors (swap front to rear/rear to front) and see if the issue follows the connections or not.
If it follows, the ESC may have an issue, if it doesn't then your motor has an issue.

PS, what kind of CFI are you?? I used to be a CFI-G, but let it lapse a few years ago.

Last edited by Charlie-III; 08-29-2011 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Added CFI question.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:38 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Or your ESC had malfunction and killed your lipo.

Last edited by skid; 08-29-2011 at 04:06 PM.
skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:51 PM   #4
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid View Post
Or you ESC had malfunction and killed your lipo.
That's a better guess. Killed the FET in the back half maybe. Does the controller stink?
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:56 PM   #5
Master Rocksmith...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
That's a better guess. Killed the FET in the back half maybe. Does the controller stink?
i wouldn't say "stink" so much, as a hint of electrical essence... ,but nothing like a fried esc from my 10th scale racing days... i've seen a few esc's go, and they never loose that burnt smell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Hmmmm....unless the pack polarity was incorrect, a "bad LiPO" usually means a dead/dieing cell that just causes the ESC to do a LVC shutdown.

I don't know what your issue was/is.

Try swapping the connections to the motors (swap front to rear/rear to front) and see if the issue follows the connections or not.
If it follows, the ESC may have an issue, if it doesn't then your motor has an issue.

PS, what kind of CFI are you?? I used to be a CFI-G, but let it lapse a few years ago.
i've swapped the motors, and the problem followed the connection. so i guess i shoulda done that 1st before starting a useless thread(sorry guys)...

i've been waiting for a reason to put another dent in the bank account
i guess ill be getting more FX-R's soon... and should probably buy stock in Tekin, to recover some of my cheetos...
FlightInstrukta is offline   Reply With Quote