Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Electronic problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2011, 09:34 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Electronic problem

Ok so here is the problem I'm having and what I'm running.
Xr10
Dx3r
Jr8711
Dual sidewinder
Ccbec
Wannadig
Holmes 35t motors

So the truck runs really good and smooth for about 5 minutes then the front motor will stall then power back up and then runs fine for a few minutes then does it again and sometimes it will do itto the rear. Everything is charged calibrated and set up. The escs aren't hot either. We are lost and can't figure it out.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
webster420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2011, 09:45 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

The only thing that comes to mind is the CC Bec, is it new or used?
Does it power up, do the lights power up. Do you have another bec that you could try. Could be the bec itself or maybe a bad connection, check all the connection. Hope this helps.
stelerzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:12 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

The bec powers up lights are on and it is directly wired up to the servo so we don't think thats the bec

Old 09-02-2011, 10:13 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Are they sv2 or sct sidewinders? Reason I ask is i have gone through a bunch sending them back and forth with castle. What you describe is the exact same thing I was encountering. They would stall out and lose power. My front and rear would go back and forth and sometimes both stop. I still haven't gotten it quite straightened out yet and actually sent my whole truck with the last 2 bad ones to castle finally so they can see whats going on.
highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:50 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I had a similar issue with my sv2s... from my experience, it seems to be an issue with the throttle curve on the latest firmware. when I reset mine to linear, the stalling problem went away.
version_three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:12 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by version_three View Post
I had a similar issue with my sv2s... from my experience, it seems to be an issue with the throttle curve on the latest firmware. when I reset mine to linear, the stalling problem went away.
I never touched the throttle curves. I left it stock to linear on all of them.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:14 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Ok awesome thanks for the info guys. They are the sv2 escs. We will try that and see if it works

Old 09-02-2011, 11:47 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Ok so we reset them to linear and still the problem comes after about 5 minutes. I tempted the escs when the problem occurred and they were at about 140 degrees each. Is it heat

Old 09-03-2011, 12:09 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I dont think being 140 would cause any problems but that sure is hot for a 5 min run. What is your gearing like?

Also since it seems to happen more on the front esc try swapping escs and see if the problem is still the front or if it moves to the rear.

How old are the motors? What battery are you running? Whats LVC set to?
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:30 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

ya thats kinda what were thinking is that it is a heat problem. the lvc is set for auto lipo and we have also tried tons of different bats to make sure that isnt it. the motors are less then a month old. they have hardly any run time at all on them so i cant imagine that being it. im running 3s 1300mah batterys. the gearing is 14tooth gearing and the axles are brand new everything about them. so its not gears binding. everything seems to work well for 5 mins or less then the problem starts. im thinking its heat. if its hiting 140 that quick then something is wrong. we did remove the heat sinks on the escs to make them fit in the chassis since the escs are so large so that might be the problem. were going to stick the heat sinks back on in the morning and give that a try to see if that takes some heat off of them. were trying to figure this out asap cause we are headed to nationals in a few days. and of course something like this has to happen this close to a major comp.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:56 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by webster420 View Post
Ok so we reset them to linear and still the problem comes after about 5 minutes. I tempted the escs when the problem occurred and they were at about 140 degrees each. Is it heat

Quote:
ya thats kinda what were thinking is that it is a heat problem. the lvc is set for auto lipo and we have also tried tons of different bats to make sure that isnt it. the motors are less then a month old. they have hardly any run time at all on them so i cant imagine that being it. im running 3s 1300mah batterys. the gearing is 14tooth gearing and the axles are brand new everything about them. so its not gears binding. everything seems to work well for 5 mins or less then the problem starts. im thinking its heat. if its hiting 140 that quick then something is wrong. we did remove the heat sinks on the escs to make them fit in the chassis since the escs are so large so that might be the problem. were going to stick the heat sinks back on in the morning and give that a try to see if that takes some heat off of them. were trying to figure this out asap cause we are headed to nationals in a few days. and of course something like this has to happen this close to a major comp.
Thats exactly how mine were. They are fine for a few minutes then they start getting crazy. I even swapped them into different vehicles and they did the same thing. I also put different electronics into the truck and it would work fine. I sent 2 back to castle and they sent 2 more. Both those did the same things. I finally got a hold of a very helpful gentleman by the name of Joe ford at castle. We tried all sorts of different settings and firmwares along with different updates to both my castle link and the controllers. All with no change. We finally agreed to just send the whole truck in to him so he could see first hand. I would recomed on Monday to get a hold of him and let him know you are having similar issues. If you want his extension # and email shoot me a pm and I can give it to you
Old 09-03-2011, 02:17 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Doubt you will get a hold of anyone on Monday unless you have their home number...

You could try dropping to like a 12t pinion and see if that helps, if the motors are cool and the ESC is that hot then the ESC is getting overworked.

Also possibly switch to a value for LVC rather than auto, maybe it is glitching or something and hitting cut off before it is supposed to...I can easily get 10 min out of a 1000mah in my berg so you shouldnt be close to LVC yet.

Also I havent explored the sidewinder v2's programming options, not sure if this applies to brushed as well as brushless, but if it has current limiting or anything like that try messing with that. I have read that sometimes limiting the current can actually build up more heat (doesnt make sense) so it is worth messing with both unlimited and limited.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:40 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys. We will see what we can come up with in the morning. They don't freak out it just stalls one out then if you let off the throttle and pull iyt again it's fine. Then a few minutes later it does it again. We will play with the castle link a little more and see if we missed something. We will put the heat sinks back on and see what that does also. I would call them but for right now that isn't going to get me anywhere by wednesday

Old 09-03-2011, 08:19 AM   #14
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Yeah, sounds like an ESC issue. Otherwise I would say maybe a hung brush.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:42 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
Doubt you will get a hold of anyone on Monday unless you have their home number...

You could try dropping to like a 12t pinion and see if that helps, if the motors are cool and the ESC is that hot then the ESC is getting overworked.

Also possibly switch to a value for LVC rather than auto, maybe it is glitching or something and hitting cut off before it is supposed to...I can easily get 10 min out of a 1000mah in my berg so you shouldnt be close to LVC yet.

Also I havent explored the sidewinder v2's programming options, not sure if this applies to brushed as well as brushless, but if it has current limiting or anything like that try messing with that. I have read that sometimes limiting the current can actually build up more heat (doesnt make sense) so it is worth messing with both unlimited and limited.
On mine I run a 12t and 11t pinion. I tried with the lvc off and also with it set to 3.1v per cell. No current limiting just normal settings that work on all my other original sidewinders. I even swapped them into another vehicle that weighed just over 3lbs and they still did the same thing and got hot way to fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Yeah, sounds like an ESC issue. Otherwise I would say maybe a hung brush.
That was my first thought also but my motors were new from you. I did give the comm a cut and install new brushes but that didn't help. Even switched out the motors and the problems still occurred.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:52 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thanks guys. We will see what we can come up with in the morning. They don't freak out it just stalls one out then if you let off the throttle and pull iyt again it's fine. Then a few minutes later it does it again. We will play with the castle link a little more and see if we missed something. We will put the heat sinks back on and see what that does also. I would call them but for right now that isn't going to get me anywhere by wednesday

Does your look kinda like this when it is stalling out? I put a voltmeter on mine and you can watch the esc drop in voltage and stall.

http://youtu.be/Nu2B10zsRJU
Old 09-03-2011, 10:08 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandcrawler View Post
Does your look kinda like this when it is stalling out? I put a voltmeter on mine and you can watch the esc drop in voltage and stall.

http://youtu.be/Nu2B10zsRJU
Nice video HC.......sucks you're having the issue. My son is running 2 newer SCT's with no issue on a 2.2 Bully MOA with 35T Br00ds, 3S 1350mah LiPO's.

Really seems to be "luck of the draw", Karma, or something like that for who gets good ones vs. crappy ones.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:49 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

What firmware are you running? I had similar issues until I updated to the newest firmware. Worth a shot.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:54 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Ya I thought maybe it was a brush to but we checked them and still does it. if we can't figure it out by tomorrow then the punk is going back in for now until I have more time. I would overnight 2 new escs but we would be pushing time bad

Old 09-03-2011, 11:56 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

I'm running the newest one out from what I know.