Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Not going to use my NiMH packs for about 2 months, how should I store them?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2011, 06:46 PM   #1

Default Not going to use my NiMH packs for about 2 months, how should I store them?

I know that I'm not going to use my NiMH packs for about the next 2 months, so how should I leave them? Any particular charge level? Then what should I do before I use them again, discharge and recharge, or peak them and use them? One is a 6 cell 5000 mah and the other a 7 cell 3500 mah, both relatively new. Thanks in advance!
LowLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Either run them through a discharger....or....run them down in your rig until the performance drops off.
Store.
When ready, just charge them up, then hit them again to top them off.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:58 AM   #3
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Nimh self discharges at a pretty good rate doesn't it? I thought it best to keep them fully charged and repeak them at least once a month? I've had packs die on me or at least drop a cell if they sat for any length of time without being charged.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:12 AM   #4
RCC Addict

i almost sure they should be kept charged
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:17 AM   #5
Proverbial threadkiller

Right from the Mfr.'s mouths......

I always heard to store them charged, but apparently the Mfr.'s say it could go either way.

I personally agree with the above post about losing cells to self-discharge. I've got a few packs that 'used to be' 7 cells, and my 8-cell pack was salvaged from 4 different packs. I've also got a few packs I've been carrying around since the late-80's or early 90's. In two months, you'll hardly notice, but ten years of sitting in a box in the basement took a lot more than 2-3 cycles to get back.

I guess store 'em half, full, or empty, shouldn't matter much. But I would caution you to charge them at a little lower amp rate and watch your temperatures when you do pull them out and charge 'em back up.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:31 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Its totally dependent on which NIMH it is really.........some liked to be stored zeroed, some stored deadshorted, some liked to be stored charged...........really just depends.

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:34 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Fully charge them, run them in a rig to get the voltage down a bit, don't fully discharge. Put them in a ziplock, and put them in the refrigerator. Cold temps slow down chemical reactions that could cause premature loss of capacity/performance. Let them warm to room temp prior to charging.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:10 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
Cold temps slow down chemical reactions that could cause premature loss of capacity/performance. Let them warm to room temp prior to charging.
Agreed, even a cool dry spot is fine for storage you don't "need" to refrigerate the packs (my wife would kill me if she found packs in the fridge )

I have NiCAD & NiMH packs that sat in a plastic storage box for years in my basement shop. Most came back after a number of easy charge/discharge cycles. Once I did that, I redid the cycles at a higher rate.
Some of the NiCADS are 15+ years old.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:17 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Yeah, my wife wasn't so thrilled with it at first. But now she's used to a few batteries and a bottle of super glue or two. Everything is in ziplocks.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote