Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Hitec 7950 Issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2011, 01:45 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Hitec 7950 Issue

I was crawling today when my servo stopped responding. If you tapped the wheels to the left or right the servo would begin working agian till you allowed the servo to center it's self then you would have to tape the wheels to make it move with the radio. Any ideas? I'm thinking of sending it in for service, I just don't want to pay the price to replace it if it's an easy fix.
Abavuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2011, 01:54 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Sounds like it could be a stripped idler gear. Yep, it's the only plastic one in the drive train.

If it isn't the gear then it's the potentiometer and needs to be returned for repair. (I never had luck getting free repairs.)
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:14 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

When the tires don't turn, does the servo make a whining noise, as if the motor is turning inside but one of the gears is strippped? Or is it silent, like it's sitting at rest with no load. If if is the second then the potentiometer could be dirty and not reading properly. At the risk of removing whatever warrenty may be in place, you can take the servo apart and remove the gears and flush the poteniometer out with electronics cleaner and then reassemble.

I had a 7954SH that did exactly what you are describing after filling it with water. Dried, cleaned, dielectric greased and it's still working fine two monthes later.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:10 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Hey Adam, I had one do the same thing in my 2.2 Bully. Tried a lot of stuff (I started a thread here) but finally sent it in.
It was repaired and sent back with a note, "Replaced motor".
Shrug.

As an aside, you've "missed" all the flooding around here recently.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:21 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
When the tires don't turn, does the servo make a whining noise, as if the motor is turning inside but one of the gears is strippped? Or is it silent, like it's sitting at rest with no load. If if is the second then the potentiometer could be dirty and not reading properly. At the risk of removing whatever warranty may be in place, you can take the servo apart and remove the gears and flush the potentiometer out with electronics cleaner and then reassemble.

I had a 7954SH that did exactly what you are describing after filling it with water. Dried, cleaned, dielectric greased and it's still working fine two monthes later.
It just sits quiet but if you apply slight presser it provides resistance from the motor. You can tell it's pushing back to stay centered. I popped the case to look at the board and to clean it like you suggested and I didn't see any dirt or water or anything of that nature. I'm just going to send it in an see if I can get it fixed under warranty.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:05 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Default My 7950 thread....

Adam, here is my thread..... How to tell.....did I kill a HiTec 7950??
Old 09-11-2011, 09:49 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

could be a BEC issue also...I had a BEC take a dump and the first indication was the servo acting strange...try swaping it out, if you run one that is
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:57 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

OK, just received our 2 HiTec servos back from the HiTec Doctors...
The 7954 had a "damaged amplifier" and a "damaged motor", the whole servo was replaced.
The 7950 had a "damaged amplifier" and a "damaged motor", both parts were replaced.

Interestingly, the SN's are "next to each other", not sure if it the servo SN or a number assigned to me.

I did get an email when they were received, but not when shipped. Total time was 1.5 weeks.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:26 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Hitec is awesome. I just filled out the service from and tossed it in an envelope and shipped it to them. I just got it back yesterday after about 2 weeks and they had a note in it - bad motor. I plugged it in and presto, works perfect. I'm really suprised that they didn't charge me to fix it because I didn't have any of the original packing or recipts.

Hot dang!!!
Old 09-30-2011, 06:46 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abavuso View Post
Hitec is awesome. I just filled out the service from and tossed it in an envelope and shipped it to them. I just got it back yesterday after about 2 weeks and they had a note in it - bad motor. I plugged it in and presto, works perfect. I'm really suprised that they didn't charge me to fix it because I didn't have any of the original packing or receipts.

Hot dang!!!
Glad you have it back. Based on what I'm reading, I wonder if they received a bad batch of parts??