Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Inline Fuse for ESC?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2011, 05:52 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Inline Fuse for ESC?

If I install a 25 amp micro fuse on the positive side of my ESC between the battery and the ESC will the fuse blow before the ESC? Hopefully stopping me from blowing my ESC.

Here is a pic like I was thinking about
Goatsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Likely.....NO.....diodes are better for this type of protection. A fuse will usually blow AFTER the ESC is dead. Solid state devices have a faster fail time than most fuses.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

So exactly what type of diode would i need to put in front of the esc to protect it from blowing?
Old 09-12-2011, 10:07 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I'm failing to see how a diode could help?
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:30 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
I'm failing to see how a diode could help?
I'm assuming he was looking for protection from shorts, thus a diode is a "one way valve".
If it is to prevent an overload, some ESC's already have a current limiter and/or temp limit in them, otherwise just try & use some sense when pushing it hard. To size a fuse (for load) as well as a quick clear/blow (to also help prevent ESC damage) you will be dancing a very fine line of protecting the ESC but not clearing the fuse when you get a spike due to a bind, etc.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:02 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

yeah that is what i was looking for. I was hoping to blow the diode/fuse before the ESC blew. thanks for your help
Old 09-13-2011, 08:32 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Are you having problems blowing ESC's?

A diode will conduct one way only, under load or fault as long as you hook it up right it will pass current. They are more for protecting against hooking DC up backwards, rectifying AC, free-wheeling circuits for when you open a DC circuit and in the case of a zener diode will also bleed off voltage kind of like a regulator.

Unless Charlie means installing (for example) a 30A diode which will blow when you over load it. I wouldn't trust this though as I'm sure the time to clear will depend on how much current you put through it. I don't think it's a spec that would be listed for a diode. Could be wrong though.

Your best bet is probably going to be reducing the load on the ESC if they are getting hot and blowing. If it's due to binding the motor then set up a slipper clutch to keep the motor from locked rotor.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:18 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I just blew my first esc but i knew it was going bad. i was just wondering if put a fuse/diode in line it might save this esc from blowing in the future. i figured replacing the fuse/diode would be cheaper than esc
Old 09-13-2011, 12:51 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I wouldn't and havent ever seen anyone do it. ESCs with reverse polarity protection have been around for awhile but it robs performance in most applications to have it in there. Just don't plug your battery in backwards and you'll be fine, I don't think adding any kind of diode or fuse is a good idea, it may just mask a real problem you could have in your setup.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:07 PM   #10
RCC Addict

The real answer is a weaker motor or better yet a stronger ESC, if you blew one ESC why wouldn't you replace it with a better one?
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:34 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

i blew the stock AE-2 ESC it has had a little glitch in it for a while and i had read that if the sidewinder esc (which is what the AE-2 is close to) started doing this is was on its way out the door. I replaced it with a sidewinder 1/10 and was thinking about doing the sidewinder micro but didn't want to blow my new sidewinder micro esc. I figured that would be a good way to try it out with out messing it up.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:19 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Forget the Micro. Period.

Your original problem was more than likely you needed a BEC. I've blew many battery packs and several motors and never hurt a 1/10 sidewinder, but have had to run a BEC in every setup I've tried.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:26 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I had the CC Bec on that set up. i just have a sidewinder micro and wanted to see if it could run the truck without blowing. I have a sidewinder and the CC bec in it now. It seems like it would be too much trouble to try sidewinder micro, and I don't want to take the change and blow it. I'll stick with the sidewinder.