Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: RC4WD winch help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2011, 06:13 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default RC4WD winch help

Here is the problem. I have installed the winch but I am getting noise, and a small amount of creep (movement) from the winch. I have set the subtrim, and the adjustment on the winch power cable itself. Once i do that the noise, and creep go away until i engage the winch again then the process starts all over: noise, creep, adjust, everything is fine. If it helps the noise is sort of a dull chatter.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
punkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2011, 06:17 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

The noise is likely the motor trying to stay centered, nothing to worry about.
As to getting it to stay "adjusted", I know it's been covered before but I can't remember what the fix was. Maybe increase the dead band for that channel?
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:22 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Deadband will help, but Heyok's winch controller is your best bet. See him in the vendor section
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:31 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

isn't his (heyok's) controller the same as the controller that is on the power lead from RC4WD? Thanks for the dead band suggestion thats the one thing i didn't try
Old 09-13-2011, 06:35 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkfan View Post
Thanks for the dead band suggestion, that's the one thing I didn't try
No problem, try it & see.
Whether it works or not, please reply back so it may help the next guy (when a lot of us say, "SEARCH"....)
Old 09-13-2011, 06:43 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
isn't his (heyok's) controller the same as the controller that is on the power lead from RC4WD? Thanks for the dead band suggestion thats the one thing i didn't try
I'm pretty sure its different. Pm him to make sure. I've only used the wireless version from RC4WD and never experienced creep but she just let her guts loose so a servo winch is replacing it.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:46 AM   #7
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
No it not. I suggest getting one of his controllers. It will get rid of "creep", drift.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:51 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I did a search before this thread was started and almost everything said Heyok's controller is the fix. Just trying to find a solution with out spending more money. I will try the dead band, and if that doesnt work i will drop Heyok a line. Does his controller stop the chatter, or just the line creep? Thanks for all the help. Heyok should really pay you guys
Old 09-13-2011, 07:17 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I did a search before this thread was started and almost everything said Heyok's controller is the fix. Just trying to find a solution with out spending more money. I will try the dead band, and if that doesnt work i will drop Heyok a line. Does his controller stop the chatter, or just the line creep? Thanks for all the help. Heyok should really pay you guys
Thanks for the kind words everyone!

The chatter you mentioned will go away. My controller has a larger "dead band" area than a modified servo controller or the stock winch controller. What I mean by that is that the area in the center of motion for the channel - that area where the winch would be considered to be told to Stop - is a little wider. This way if your transmitter has a little wiggle in this area, the winch motor won't be commanded to operate until you actually swing the servo command a little further to start winding in or out.

I hope you are able to get your stock controller working. If not, I can fix you up.

Cheers,
Al
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:08 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

well there is no way to adjust the deadband on the radio, so it looks like on payday heyok is going to get a paypal from me. Thanks for the input and suggestion.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:17 AM   #11
www.team3sixrc.com

I can assure you that with heyOK's controller. It makes a world of difference. In my 5645mg servo, I would have to say faster-responsive-cleaner.
Its a win win!

Now if we can just get heyOK's to build a winch. Well be in business.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:48 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
I can assure you that with heyOK's controller. It makes a world of difference. In my 5645mg servo, I would have to say faster-responsive-cleaner.
Its a win win!

No kidding he already has a must have piece of equipment just make the rest up.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:51 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
Its a win win!

Quote:
No kidding he already has a must have piece of equipment just make the rest up.
You guys are too kind!

I make servo winchs for people, I just don't advertise it. If that is something you would like, just send me a PM and I can fix you up!
Old 10-15-2011, 11:41 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

I just bought the 9300x and it doesnt have instructions, so I plugged it in to the 3rd channel and I cant seem to run it off my 3rd channel position. Also it wont stay in neutral, it creeps in or out and i constantly have to manually adjust it.
Any help would be appreciated. WITHOUT any sarcasm or put down for asking a question on a Q@A forum.
K1llerRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:58 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

i ended up having to do heyoks controller (which is bomb proof) but also had to tear apart a old servo and use the motor b/c they are slow and weak in all the ones that ive had so pick up a small servo thats decent and it makes it faster and stronger!
SILVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:15 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1llerRC View Post
I just bought the 9300x and it doesnt have instructions, so I plugged it in to the 3rd channel and I cant seem to run it off my 3rd channel position. Also it wont stay in neutral, it creeps in or out and i constantly have to manually adjust it.
Any help would be appreciated. WITHOUT any sarcasm or put down for asking a question on a Q@A forum.
I have a thing or two that you can try.

First we need to determine just what sort of control you can get from your third channel.

An easy way to do this is to connect a servo to that channel. Just use your steering servo if you don't have another servo handy.
Now move CH3 to the three positions. You will see how far the servo swings in each direction and where it goes when you set the channel to center (which is what should make the winch stop moving when it is plugged in there).

Now that we have that figured out, plug that new winch controller into the steering channel. Swing the steering around and you should be able to make the winch wind in, out and stop. Note where the steering wheel was pointed to make these things happen.

Plug that servo you were using for testing into the steering channel and move the steering wheel to the positions that made the winch do each of its functions. Remember back to when that servo was in CH3? Did it move the servo to those same positions that made the winch operate in its three modes? If it didn't you probably have to adjust the end points and or center control on CH3 to get it to match up and you should be good to go!

One day I will make a video of how to do this as it would probably be way easier to follow than my babbling!
Old 10-15-2011, 04:38 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyok View Post
One day I will make a video of how to do this as it would probably be way easier to follow than my babbling!

I totally understood you, but I'm a bit crazy as well......

Old 10-15-2011, 04:46 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyok View Post
You guys are too kind!

I make servo winchs for people, I just don't advertise it. If that is something you would like, just send me a PM and I can fix you up!
I may be in contact with you once I figure out where to install a winch servo on my SCX10. Perhaps you may have a suggestion for me?
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:50 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
Perhaps you may have a suggestion for me?
Yes, ask some questions, answer some questions, send $$ via PayPal as a gift!

heyok is one of "THE DUDES" to go to though for winches, etc.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:53 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
I may be in contact with you once I figure out where to install a winch servo on my SCX10. Perhaps you may have a suggestion for me?
I've seen some guys mount the fairlead up front, but the winch somewhere remotely. They run the winch line through some tubing to get it there. Maybe something along those lines?